Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calais Ferry

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi
Can I book my California onto the P&O ferry Dover/Calais as a car (albeit stating the 1.8m to 2.4m height and <6m length) As it’s registered as a car I presume this is ok ?
Thanks

Thats what i do , you will end up in the line amongst the cars with roof-boxes , 4x4 , and other vans anyway even when you sign in as "camper"

When going on holidays, my California only turns into a camper when I enter the campsite. All other times it's just my daily driver.
Only exception would be to enter a parking lot that states campers only.
Last spring I went there to have my picknick with the most amazing view over the Lac de Sainte-Croix. Wonderful weather and a nicer overview than the car parking downstairs:

IMGP4844.JPG

IMGP4846.JPG

When going on holidays, my California only turns into a camper when I enter the campsite. All other times it's just my daily driver.
Last spring I went there to have my picknick with the most amazing view over the Lac de Sainte-Croix. Wonderful weather and a nicer overview than the car parking downstairs:

View attachment 55085

View attachment 55086
But that looks a long way from Calais.

But that looks a long way from Calais.
What do you call a long way?
I was just stating my point of view on the fact of what I call my car in a given situation.
I never used the channel or ferry over the North Sea. Sorry for that.

Probably about a 3hr walk to a restaurant
when you're hungry. :)
Oh, is your gas bottle empty?
No food in the fridge?
Empty cupboards?
Never thought you would be so unprepared in your Cali. :D

View attachment 55085

View attachment 55086
We were there last summer but stayed in the municipal site alongside the beach. Lovely spot

Hi
Can I book my California onto the P&O ferry Dover/Calais as a car (albeit stating the 1.8m to 2.4m height and <6m length) As it’s registered as a car I presume this is ok ?
Thanks
If you book via an app called aFerry , you can book by defining exactly the make and model of the vehicle so there can be no debate at the port as to whether you should have booked as a car/van/motorhome and the cost is that of a car

It is a risk booking as a high car instead of a camper/motorhome with the ferry companies or Eurotunnel. I was reprimanded returning from France as I had booked as a high car once, almost refused entry. It is to do with checking gas cooking facilities etc on the vehicle.

Yes: we do that all the time (and take the fuel cash back offer) but today our return crossing is cancelled because of the storm so they gave us a voucher for the Chunnel: busy tho!

126E0CF5-DBD9-4DDA-A9D3-35486349DB66.jpeg

If you book via an app called aFerry , you can book by defining exactly the make and model of the vehicle so there can be no debate at the port as to whether you should have booked as a car/van/motorhome and the cost is that of a car

I totally agree, I use the app for bookings, select my exact vehicle. Apart from having correct vehicle information the price beats many car prices of similar size??? Has to be good.

I always booked as a car because of the physical size and then once got caught. The guy at the booth was a pain in the... and we had long debates about was it a campervan or a van or a car. He said could I sleep in it. I said I could sleep in my car.. I couldnt win... Got away with it for some time. Now book as a camper... It can sting at the port if they decide to play up... Nothing to do with gas etc... I never had any special treatment because she is a Cali..... It fits in a car footprint....... Annoying..

I wonder where we stand with being registered as a MPV if also carrying the V5? Don't think i would risk it to be honest although will be using the tunnel rather than the ferry in March and September.

On my last trip using Eurotunnel in Dec 19 I was advised by the person checking me in at Folkstone that I should have booked as a high sided vehicle. He told me to enter a wrong number plate and then carry on with the booking manually and it would be cheaper. He stated that the "box vans" on wheels were what Eurotunnel considered campers. Haven't tried it yet but will next time I use the service.

I always booked as a car because of the physical size and then once got caught. The guy at the booth was a pain in the... and we had long debates about was it a campervan or a van or a car. He said could I sleep in it. I said I could sleep in my car.. I couldnt win... Got away with it for some time. Now book as a camper... It can sting at the port if they decide to play up... Nothing to do with gas etc... I never had any special treatment because she is a Cali..... It fits in a car footprint....... Annoying..
Ask him if he can sleep in his car.

I wonder where we stand with being registered as a MPV if also carrying the V5? Don't think i would risk it to be honest although will be using the tunnel rather than the ferry in March and September.
I honestly dont think they care. I may disagree with the theory as the Cali footprint for me should fit it in car category. If you get the wrong person at the port especially in France, you can not win an argument. Even if you had a V5. She is a campervan. I always book her as such now and still with a ferry every hour from Dover I dont think despite what I have read that there is a more flexible, cost efficient way to go..

Back