Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can I book my Ocean on P&O Ferries as a Full Size Car?

P&O define a standard car as Size: Standard: <6m length; <1.83m height.

So expect the possibility of being turner away if you try to book as a car. After that, you have the options of van, minibus and motorhome.

So try "motorhome"?

REALLY SO A CALI OCEAN EXCEEDS 6M LONG AND 1.83 HIGH, MY CALIFORNIA IS UNDER 1.8 HIGH AND 6 M IN LENGTH

REALLY SO A CALI OCEAN EXCEEDS 6M LONG AND 1.83 HIGH, MY CALIFORNIA IS UNDER 1.8 HIGH AND 6 M IN LENGTH

Well, if yours is smaller than average, I’m very happy for you.

The height of a Cali is 1.99m, length 4.89m assuming no racks or side awning.
And a Land Rover Discovery is 1.89m high and 4.97m long - so very similar to the Cali. Common sense would suggest the motor home classification is for vehicles that are clearly bigger than any SUV/car?

They do have a motorhome option but it's more expensive (£356). If I book as a large car ( <6m length; >1.83m so well within cali dimensions) then it's only £289. I've always booked as a high car with DFDS and never had a problem. I've just never used P&O before . Ferries seem a lot more expensive next year which doesn't help I usually pay c. £100 each each for a flexi fare !
Do you mean greater than or less than 1.83m. ? If less than then I’m not sure the Cali is less than 1.83m

The large car option is Greater than 1.83m and less than 6m . The Cali definitely fits. The question is will P&O say I should be a motor home. p&O don’t define what a motor home is or isn’t . p&O are also not answering emails or calls. I’m going to book as large car I think. And will let you know in August 2021 if it was ok ( assuming this pandemic does one too and I actually get to go ! )

The large car option is Greater than 1.83m and less than 6m . The Cali definitely fits. The question is will P&O say I should be a motor home. p&O don’t define what a motor home is or isn’t . p&O are also not answering emails or calls. I’m going to book as large car I think. And will let you know in August 2021 if it was ok ( assuming this pandemic does one too and I actually get to go ! )
As a Beach owner this is interesting. On our Scotland trip I booked as a van. I suppose high car could be cheaper. I'll certainly check next time.

Don't think that's quite the point though is it...
From what I've picked up over the years, the tunnel seem much more relax about it, even being told by the staff on board we could've bought a cheaper ticket. The ferries seem to be more on it.
We, like others, wouldn't risk it...
What would you book as on the tunnel?

I always booked as a car because of the footprint. That on both DFDS and P &O. Then after many voyages I was challenged by a French booking in guy... Had all the debates about size. Then debating if I slept in my car is it a Campervan ?? Fact is you can’t win when you are at the port and just want to get home... they stung me..... I just book as a Campervan now.... if anyone wins the argument at the port they will be in a small minority.....

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
I can see the French booking staff making life difficult whatever happens in the new year.

What would you book as on the tunnel?
I believe when booking the tunnel you input your registration number and they then give you the correct allocation and pricing. Why on earth the ferry companies can’t do the same is beyond me.

I can see the French booking staff making life difficult whatever happens in the new year.

The French can't hold a candle to the Greeks, but you have to go further for the aggro!

I think I’ve confused everyone. The Cali will easily fits the dimension of a large car as its max length 6m and max height 1.8m . My question is can I book as car or do I need to book as a motor home ?

on Aferry the price is the same for a car and if I put explicitly as a California. Unfortunately I dont want to book with aferry as I want the fully flexible fare which is only available direct

P&O defines a van as “vehicles built for commercial purpose with either (part of) the rear panelled and/or a load carrying space” so the Cali is clearly not a Van in this instance

unfortunately P&O says nothing about what a motor home is or isn’t and their call centre is closed due to COVID . my V5 says the Cali is “diesel car “ with body type “motor caravan “ so it really was a genuine question not trying to cheat the system . Can I book as a car with dimensions that easily exceed the size of the Cali or do I need to book as motor home ‍♀

Sorry edit max height is > 1.8
All I can add to the debate is that I specifically enquired from Stena, and they advised that a camper van qualified as a car. I have specifically queried it a couple of times, and always got the same answer.

Back