Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calais wine run

• Thread starter cpjb@btinternet.com
  • Start date
cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Thinking of doing a wine run in the Cali. The Calais Wine Superstore are offering free day passage if you spend £250 with them, which appears to be a good deal, on top of the savings for the booze.

There seems to be a 120 bottle cut off before "serious" questions re. personal use are asked.

I think I'd have to stop over at a campsite on the way back as would be travelling from the midlands.

Anybody any experience of doing this in a Cali?

Thanks.

Sounds interesting although no experience of doing this
I think I might worry all that wine might encourage my wife's girly night evenings when lm on my travels :(

I pop over about 4 times a year to buy wine.

I don't go to Calais, go to the vineyards, but if just doing a booze cruise then there are better places than Calais.

Try this place ... http://www.boursot.co.uk

Guy Boursot is English, his main place is Ardres, 20 minutes from the Tunnel, lovely little town, wild camp on the main square, or visit his place at Marquise, on the way to Boulogne, nice food, nice shops, no tourists,

In terms of allowance no real limits, I came home last time with 12 cases, no query, but then I stock 600 bottles at home so easy to prove it's "self consumption".

Thanks for the info GJ - I'll certainly look into it.

I was thinking that the Cali maybe the ultimate booze run vehicle - lots of storage for contraband downstairs, a good strong engine to pull it all, with the added advantage of being able to sleep upstairs on longer runs.

We used to do booze runs all the time but since Aldi and Lidl came along we now just stock up at the discounter supermarkets as some of their wines are excellent , however a trip to my local Lidl is not as fun as a day trip to France though lol

I pop over about 4 times a year to buy wine.

I don't go to Calais, go to the vineyards, but if just doing a booze cruise then there are better places than Calais.

Try this place ... http://www.boursot.co.uk

Guy Boursot is English, his main place is Ardres, 20 minutes from the Tunnel, lovely little town, wild camp on the main square, or visit his place at Marquise, on the way to Boulogne, nice food, nice shops, no tourists,

In terms of allowance no real limits, I came home last time with 12 cases, no query, but then I stock 600 bottles at home so easy to prove it's "self consumption".
Goodness. Can't imagine what you do with all that wine!

Goodness. Can't imagine what you do with all that wine!

It used to be 3,600 bottles when I had my big cellar in Somerset.

A lot of it is being held, up to 20 years, so the "ready to drink now" proportion is probably around 15%. I also source for a few restaurants in my area so always have a few bottles for sampling, and then I also hostess a few wine events so my throughput is fairly high!

I am currently negotiating with my Sister to lease her "understairs" cupboard (I have two dedicated for wine storage) to increase my capacity but so far cruelly and horribly she has refused! :shocked

You've nailed it Alex.

I've just had my business case rejected :(. Looks like we're sticking with Aldi.

The cali is good for a wine run on any return trip from the continent. If we have been on holiday, with all four of us, the back seat is normally up against the multiflex board. Then when we get to Calais we pull the rear seat forward as far as is comfortable for the kids, and the space you free up behind the seat is good for at least 6 crates of wine!!! Obviously once you have this much stuff on board you can't camp any more so you have to head home :)

Back