Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Dogs

We‘re off for an MRI today...have been warned about the cost! I’ve to stay in the car park to discuss findings and am told if they can do anything, they’ll be prepared to go ahead whilst she’s under. Dottie is still a spiritedly spaniel, just suddenly suffering from wobbly legs. But I’m mindful of unnecessary suffering....
D’s predecessor had chemo for lymphoma at 2....as for humans, every situation is different. I had to do my best, but after a lovely, ‘well’ summer, she went downhill rapidly and sadly succumbed.
The vet tells me that their governing body dictates that human health comes first which has sadly meant delays, but fair dos. Hard though to watch our pets suffer. Luckily D is still ‘racing’ about...well her front end does. I just hope they can do something for her back end.
I’m relying on the vet helping me to make the right decisions....

I’ve already prepped the wooden floors...all covered but she always seems to find the square foot left uncovered and slips, so I’ve just ordered more rugs from ikea! I’m now an ‘expert’ on making access over the threshold easier but she’ll be put on the lead before launching herself outside. Spaniels don’t understand the concept of slowing down and going steady! The mere smell of the outdoors sends her into a frenzy! And I’ll be using the van to transport her...ease of access and space to carry her about, when necessary. So we’ll be locked down even more for a while...one way or another. I’m just happy I can spend the time with her.

We‘re off for an MRI today...have been warned about the cost! I’ve to stay in the car park to discuss findings and am told if they can do anything, they’ll be prepared to go ahead whilst she’s under. Dottie is still a spiritedly spaniel, just suddenly suffering from wobbly legs. But I’m mindful of unnecessary suffering....
D’s predecessor had chemo for lymphoma at 2....as for humans, every situation is different. I had to do my best, but after a lovely, ‘well’ summer, she went downhill rapidly and sadly succumbed.
The vet tells me that their governing body dictates that human health comes first which has sadly meant delays, but fair dos. Hard though to watch our pets suffer. Luckily D is still ‘racing’ about...well her front end does. I just hope they can do something for her back end.
I’m relying on the vet helping me to make the right decisions....

I’ve already prepped the wooden floors...all covered but she always seems to find the square foot left uncovered and slips, so I’ve just ordered more rugs from ikea! I’m now an ‘expert’ on making access over the threshold easier but she’ll be put on the lead before launching herself outside. Spaniels don’t understand the concept of slowing down and going steady! The mere smell of the outdoors sends her into a frenzy! And I’ll be using the van to transport her...ease of access and space to carry her about, when necessary. So we’ll be locked down even more for a while...one way or another. I’m just happy I can spend the time with her.
So sorry to hear about Dottie’s troubles, we wish her luck with the MRI & hope for a positive outcome for you both. Please let us know how she gets on.

The worst news. We were hopeful it was something that could possibly be fixed, but instead we found a tumour.
I’ve been warned she may only have a week with at most two.
I’m devastated.

For the last 7 months I’ve been working all hours preparing facts and figures to sell the business, with my eyes on the hills in the distance. The dream was for Dottie and I to head for the hills in our van once it was over, with no plan of where we’d end up or when we’d return. The coronavirus hit just four days after a tearful sale and we were grounded. My Dad landed in hospital with pneumonia, caught coronavirus in hospital and died, and then Dottie became lame. She‘s not been in pain and we’ve enjoyed getting my bike out with her trailer (not used for 12 years) and cycling to lovely places for short walks. It’s my father’s bike...the very one he was riding when he had a lovely photo taken that we used at his funeral. Sadly the tyre went flat on Sunday and the challenge was getting an inner tube to fit a 70 year old bike! I’d just bought a memory foam bed which fit in it perfectly. I’d love to think we can get out some more in it, but fear time is now against us.

My father died prematurely and relatively suddenly. He’d just had a wonderful year with a new girlfriend, he was still cycling, curling and golfing....and had just come back from his first big holiday since mum died...but he’d worn himself out....he was 87 the day after he was taken to hospital.
And Dottie too will not reach that stage in her life when she is an old lady. She is in her 13th year and is spritely and spirited.
Somehow the comfort I found from Dad translates to Dottie too...they were/are both young at heart, have led a full and happy life and both would have hated that stage when their bodies would no longer do what their heart would have told them they wanted to do. A blessing in disguise?
it’s no less devastating. It’s been such a horrid year and one when my dreams should be coming true but has been marred with one sadness after another. We haven’t even cracked open a bottle of fizz to celebrate the sale, the pressure has been relentless....and now this....it’s hard tonight to think of anything but sadness.
I’m sleeping on the sofa next to Dottie. She’s happy and none the wiser. I hope tomorrow just to treat her in all ways possible and prepare for what’s ahead.
At the moment, thoughts of life in the campervan without her just adds to the sadness. I brought her home and put her on the back bench for the first time since our last holiday and looked back at her remembering all our so very happy adventures in our van....
There will be happy times again, but tonight it’s difficult to see through the immediate pain ahead of us.

it was lovely to land on Cali Dogs last night and I’ll continue to follow my van friends’ news....Dottie was the reason I got a van. I bought a tent and she barked at everyone who passed to visit the toilet block throughout the night. The tent was abandoned! I spent a day at the motor home show looking at motor homes but only on my way out of the exhibition halls did I spot the VWs....and my eyes lit up and our life changed! We just loved our trips away in it.
Just Fred, Dottie and Me...

The worst news. We were hopeful it was something that could possibly be fixed, but instead we found a tumour.
I’ve been warned she may only have a week with at most two.
I’m devastated.

For the last 7 months I’ve been working all hours preparing facts and figures to sell the business, with my eyes on the hills in the distance. The dream was for Dottie and I to head for the hills in our van once it was over, with no plan of where we’d end up or when we’d return. The coronavirus hit just four days after a tearful sale and we were grounded. My Dad landed in hospital with pneumonia, caught coronavirus in hospital and died, and then Dottie became lame. She‘s not been in pain and we’ve enjoyed getting my bike out with her trailer (not used for 12 years) and cycling to lovely places for short walks. It’s my father’s bike...the very one he was riding when he had a lovely photo taken that we used at his funeral. Sadly the tyre went flat on Sunday and the challenge was getting an inner tube to fit a 70 year old bike! I’d just bought a memory foam bed which fit in it perfectly. I’d love to think we can get out some more in it, but fear time is now against us.

My father died prematurely and relatively suddenly. He’d just had a wonderful year with a new girlfriend, he was still cycling, curling and golfing....and had just come back from his first big holiday since mum died...but he’d worn himself out....he was 87 the day after he was taken to hospital.
And Dottie too will not reach that stage in her life when she is an old lady. She is in her 13th year and is spritely and spirited.
Somehow the comfort I found from Dad translates to Dottie too...they were/are both young at heart, have led a full and happy life and both would have hated that stage when their bodies would no longer do what their heart would have told them they wanted to do. A blessing in disguise?
it’s no less devastating. It’s been such a horrid year and one when my dreams should be coming true but has been marred with one sadness after another. We haven’t even cracked open a bottle of fizz to celebrate the sale, the pressure has been relentless....and now this....it’s hard tonight to think of anything but sadness.
I’m sleeping on the sofa next to Dottie. She’s happy and none the wiser. I hope tomorrow just to treat her in all ways possible and prepare for what’s ahead.
At the moment, thoughts of life in the campervan without her just adds to the sadness. I brought her home and put her on the back bench for the first time since our last holiday and looked back at her remembering all our so very happy adventures in our van....
There will be happy times again, but tonight it’s difficult to see through the immediate pain ahead of us.

it was lovely to land on Cali Dogs last night and I’ll continue to follow my van friends’ news....Dottie was the reason I got a van. I bought a tent and she barked at everyone who passed to visit the toilet block throughout the night. The tent was abandoned! I spent a day at the motor home show looking at motor homes but only on my way out of the exhibition halls did I spot the VWs....and my eyes lit up and our life changed! We just loved our trips away in it.
Just Fred, Dottie and Me...
We only have words to offer you and sadly words cannot do anything to ease the pain you are feeling right now, but we genuinely feel so desperately sad for you.
The awful sudden loss of your father and now the sorrow at knowing you are going to lose your faithful loving friend.
We understand how you feel, we also bought a Campervan because its ideal for the dogs, for a while yours will feel so empty.
All of this is compounded with Covid, if it wasn’t for that you could get out in the van in beautiful Perthshire and at least enjoy a few last day trips with Dottie.
As you rightly say Dottie is happy and none the wiser, as hard as it will be, just spend the next few days and hopefully weeks loving her and enjoying her company as you have always done, and if and when you need us Calidogs is her for you.
Our very best wishes to you and please give Dottie a huge hug from us.

Thank you. How I would have loved to be taking her out for day trips but hopefully I’ll get my new Inner tube for my bike today and we’ll tootle round locally, stopping for short walks.
She’s happy.
thank you...

Thank you. How I would have loved to be taking her out for day trips but hopefully I’ll get my new Inner tube for my bike today and we’ll tootle round locally, stopping for short walks.
She’s happy.
thank you...
How’s Dottie doing?

5b3a7e880fb75c04cf8e63e09005a902.jpg

Oscar, guarding his stick in our new awning sides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very handsome boy.

The new freedoms mean little to Meg. She has a snapped tendon and has had a hock arthrodesis at considerable expense. She's confined to a crate 23h 30 per day, only allowed out for short 5 minute walks in the garden for the next 6 or 7 weeks.
How is Meg’s recovery progressing? Is she frustrated at her confinement poor pup?

How’s Dottie doing?
Dottie is loving life, albeit I’m trying desperately to stop her twisting round and running up steps! She launches herself either out of the house for a walk or back through the door as if she‘s been away forever...!
shes happy and still non the wiser. I’m coming to the conclusion that I’m so lucky to be able to spend this time with her. She’s 2 months off 13 andis a youthful, ‘well’, lively wee doggie full of the joys.
at least I get some time to say goodbye, with her with me every minute of the day or night. At least she won’t suffer those ‘care home’ years. It’s going to be so very hard, but I love watching her as she demands treats, tummy tickles and sits on my lap....and we had a weekend of icecreams and treats...all good so far...she’s getting away with murder....!

D876A219-AF43-41A0-8AA6-E4AB0E5BE764.jpeg

ABCCA018-3FF7-46CB-B4D6-8A8FECD34525.jpeg

B1BCF2FE-96FE-4AE0-BC33-9E057ED86021.jpeg

How is Meg’s recovery progressing? Is she frustrated at her confinement poor pup?

Very frustrated - incessant whining from within the six walls of her crate. We have a child’s playpen rigged up in the garden, but I fear that she may try to jump out. With the bone screwed in place but not yet fused I fear such a leap may cause irreparable (or even more expensive) damage. So crate it is except for four x 15 minute walks on the lead per day.

She’s learnt to lick her poor paw even with the buster collar on. Now the bandage is gone and stitches out she’s managed to self-cannibalise her scabs.

Day 17 of 42 confinement. Halfway this Friday sounds better.

Dottie is loving life, albeit I’m trying desperately to stop her twisting round and running up steps! She launches herself either out of the house for a walk or back through the door as if she‘s been away forever...!
shes happy and still non the wiser. I’m coming to the conclusion that I’m so lucky to be able to spend this time with her. She’s 2 months off 13 andis a youthful, ‘well’, lively wee doggie full of the joys.
at least I get some time to say goodbye, with her with me every minute of the day or night. At least she won’t suffer those ‘care home’ years. It’s going to be so very hard, but I love watching her as she demands treats, tummy tickles and sits on my lap....and we had a weekend of icecreams and treats...all good so far...she’s getting away with murder....!

View attachment 59498

View attachment 59499

View attachment 59501
That’s brilliant, we are so pleased for you, long may it continue, she’s a beautiful lucky Pup.

Very frustrated - incessant whining from within the six walls of her crate. We have a child’s playpen rigged up in the garden, but I fear that she may try to jump out. With the bone screwed in place but not yet fused I fear such a leap may cause irreparable (or even more expensive) damage. So crate it is except for four x 15 minute walks on the lead per day.

She’s learnt to lick her poor paw even with the buster collar on. Now the bandage is gone and stitches out she’s managed to self-cannibalise her scabs.

Day 17 of 42 confinement. Halfway this Friday sounds better.
We feel for you it is really hard. As the dog begins to feel better and better in themselves they just want to zoom around as normal.Yes halfway sounds more positive ;)

Originally posted by Martin

I will start off, here is Sophie!

She loves travelling in the cali and comes everywhere with us, the only bit she did not enjoy on our last trip was being in the kennels on the ferry!

She also loves sitting outside the van and yapping at everyone that walks past!

P1020410-1.jpg

View attachment 7105

Our Barney is so nervous he could never go in any kind of kennels. He also hates being on boats and water (although loves swimming in it). I think to go on a ferry our only hope would to be Charlie going in the van and Barney and I being foot passengers. Even then I don’t think he’d be too keen.

Well he seems to like his Buddy Rider

Ralf is well strapped in and looking forward to travels when allowed. He did not get on with a trailer type.

Last edited:
1. Tess - Calitess
2. Sophie - Martin
3. Fuller - Ron
4. Rosie - mkrw
5. Jack & Bess - John
6. Jagger, Ronni, Keef - California 180
7. Ollie, Annie & Cody - alf 170
8. Daisy & Murphy - Calikev
9. Harley - T5WOB
10. Sam - Rich F & Jude
11. Toby- swaleuk
Any more?
Barney’s dreaming of camping in the Cali. I’ve pitched an awning, like a tent, in the front/side garden, for use as a quiet retreat and chillout zone . This is the sleeping annexe - no groundsheet and we remove the sleeping compartment after we've slept in it at the weekends. Apart from being in the van, he’s never been so happy.

2A8D378C-5E59-4F57-906E-09340EE28F03.jpeg

Back