Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali imminent - Insurance minefield

Rupes

Rupes

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I'm finally approaching delivery day for my new Cali Ocean and have been exploring the insurance minefield. I've read all the relevant posts but I still find myself in some confusion and frustration.

My main frustration is that I need basic business use included - this is something I've always had with my previous cars and it's never been an issue but with a Cali this is suddenly a big deal. I don't do a great deal of business mileage - probably less than 1000 miles a year. I'm not even completely sure what constitutes business use and what is normal commuting. For example is it business use if I drive to a hotel for a training course, or if I drive to the station to catch a train (for business purposes). What about if I give some colleagues visiting from another office a lift to the station? What I want is a Comprehensive (Capital "C") insurance policy that isn't riddled with exclusions that might one day catch me out.

Anyway, I seem to have narrowed down to Comfort and Safeguard. Both include "Business Use" although I haven't got to the bottom of how this is defined for either policy yet.

Safeguard is the more expensive quote as it includes Breakdown cover as standard (which I don't think I need as it duplicates the VW Assistance cover) and also because, following consultation with the underwriter they added £100 (exactly £100 which seems a bit of a fix to me) for the Business Use cover. This brings the quote to nearly £600.

Comfort is quite a bit cheaper at £370 (without the breakdown cover but with the business cover). However this policy comes with the 36 hour / 48 hour storage exclusion clause - and I can already think of one forthcoming occasion where that might cause me a problem. The policy documentation on Comfort website refers to a 48 hour time period but I've seen numerous references to 36 hours in the forum so not sure which is the correct figure? 36 hours is more likely to be a problem to me than 48.

Just out of interest - can anyone comment on whether the standard VW Roadside assistance a comprehensive assistance package or is it worth going for the assistance packages offered by Safeguard or Comfort?

Any other insurers I should be trying? C&CC was too expensive and no business cover. Advance Insurance seems relatively competitive on the comparison sites but not sure what's included or not yet.

My Comfort policy says 36 hours.

Have you ordered a Beach or an Ocean? I believe it makes quite a difference .

I thought it was only abroad

The exclusion wording I've read (from the Comfort website) is as follows:

"Loss or damage covered under section 1 if your camper van is stored for a period in excess or 48 hours anywhere other than the storage location disclosed to us in your statement of fact."

"Stored" means not in use.

My understanding is business use is a little more difficult for an ocean, as most of the providers view it as a camping vehicle, used for high days and holidays, and insurance is therefore priced at crazily low levels.
They basically consider it in the same camp as huge motorhomes which are used 8 times per year. They wouldn't be expecting you to ensure a 6 berth Hymer for business use.

The Beach seems to get treated more like a car, so adding business use seems to be easier.

There are plenty here who have Oceans AND business use, so it can be done, but understanding how the 'Camping' insurers see it, may help you understand their responses.

Rare post

Google "insurance business use"

Find...

Business insurance: "This is different to a standard policy, which only provides cover for social use and commuting. Business car insurance can cover a wide range of uses, such as travelling between different work locations, visiting customers or driving around other employees. Anything, in fact, that's on behalf of the company.

Commuting includes travelling form home to (normal place of) work. I have generally understood business use to cover any other use required by or on behalf of one’s employer. I employ my wife and she has “business insurance” to cover when she pops in to the bank or post office for me. Most insurers’ don’t appear to charge extra for incidental business use – so as long as you’re not a commercial traveller, it’s an easy option to add – just to be on the safe side.

Simone I once knew from work had an insurance claim rejected when their son had an accident having borrowed mum’s car to do his paper round on a rainy day. The paper round constituted “business use”.

However, when it comes to campervans, are the insurers looking beyond the above, and thinking more in terms of vehicle rental type business use – the campervan being used “as a business” rather than “for business”?

I have taken the plunge and have ordered an Ocean – due to arrive alter this year – and would anticipate having insurance with a “business use” permitted clause. So I’m interested in the outcome.

I mean Someone, not Simone

I cannot recommend NFU Mutual highly enough. Their premiums may be a small amount higher but the policy you buy is Comprehensive with a capital C. On my policy I have unlimited mileage and full business use. I've been a loyal customer of NFU for one main reason - the way they've treated me whenever I've been unfortunate enough to have to make a claim.

The exclusion wording I've read (from the Comfort website) is as follows:

"Loss or damage covered under section 1 if your camper van is stored for a period in excess or 48 hours anywhere other than the storage location disclosed to us in your statement of fact."

"Stored" means not in use.
Goodness, I didn't realise that
So you can't leave it at airport parking for a week!

The Caravan Club, now Motorhome and Caravan Club, offer Business use insurance (for both of us) as well as covering personal belongings in the van and though pricier than your comfort quote, it was a lot less than your c&cc quote.

I went through Adrian Flux, and I got Business use for me (Self-employed) as I need to drive to venues, or the train station if going by train. Low business use, depending on where I have to go.
Camping extras and contents are covered too (£3k) Insurer is Axa, the brokers do the ringing round, which helps, as they had several underwriters that didn't like the self-employed business use.
Good European cover too.

Thanks for suggestions everyone.

I just had a long but unusually pleasant chat with NFU after Strong's recommendation and their quote is good (a little over £400) but with class 1 business cover for both me and my wife and sounds to be a very Comprehensive package too. They didn't make me feel like I was asking for something unreasonable!

So I think I'll be going with NFU and get back to living my life now!

Good to know Rupes. Thanks for the intel. I will be seeking the same cover as you in May, when the van arrives. I think I will try NFU. See if you can get a "recommend a friend" discount!

NFU seem to be popular. Will replace with a brand new vehicle if written off also!!

I didn't see the above about NFU, but have just moved to Admiral today using comparethemarket.com after getting a crazy renewal quote from LV (who couldn't have cared less when I called them to see if they could do anything).

Everyone has different variables, but my Beach is my sole vehicle & is parked on the street overnight which means many Insurers or Brokers won't touch it. Including Business-use has also often led to the quote rocketing, but in this case it was cheaper to add 1,000 miles business than just S,D&P ...

All insurance seems to be going up due to the changes in the payout tables coming in, some high-value injury claims are going to be a lot more expensive for them to settle now across the board.

Thanks - really useful thread.

I'm trying to not let the insurance hunt kill my buzz for collecting our new california at the weekend - so shocked at the minefield of different offerings & rules! (but still super excited really...)

I've been with Adrian Flux for years now with my previous t5 conversion, but they said they couldn't insure the 2017 Cali Ocean at all due to 1) overall value 2) would only consider social & domestic use. Silly me thinking I was making things simple by going for a factory fitted Cali (hehe)...

Caravan Guard were quoting astronomically and would only cover commuting use. In addition I would need a tracker and would need to lock it up in my garage every night. Crazy number of rules inc not leaving unattended overnight unless locked in garage etc.

NFU Mutual - is based on their standard Car insurance. Is there any downside to this? They will do business use. No tracker & ok to park on the road. oh and half the price of Caravan Guard. A firm favourite so far - which seems to echo the sentiment of this thread nicely....

GEtting bored of calling around... so thinking of going NFU and shop around again next year....

The Caravan Club, now Motorhome and Caravan Club, offer Business use insurance (for both of us) as well as covering personal belongings in the van and though pricier than your comfort quote, it was a lot less than your c&cc quote.
That's interesting, when I was getting quotes for insurance I asked about business use as Mr B is changing his job soon and may need the use of a vehicle. CMC told me they couldn't offer business use, although travelling to and from work is included. I do sometimes wonder if the answers depend on who you speak to when phoning these call centres.

Thanks - really useful thread.

NFU Mutual - is based on their standard Car insurance. Is there any downside to this? ....

I'd be concerned about this - would they only cover the cost of the base vehicle if you had a claim? What about the contents?

I'm finally approaching delivery day for my new Cali Ocean and have been exploring the insurance minefield. I've read all the relevant posts but I still find myself in some confusion and frustration.

My main frustration is that I need basic business use included - this is something I've always had with my previous cars and it's never been an issue but with a Cali this is suddenly a big deal. I don't do a great deal of business mileage - probably less than 1000 miles a year. I'm not even completely sure what constitutes business use and what is normal commuting. For example is it business use if I drive to a hotel for a training course, or if I drive to the station to catch a train (for business purposes). What about if I give some colleagues visiting from another office a lift to the station? What I want is a Comprehensive (Capital "C") insurance policy that isn't riddled with exclusions that might one day catch me out.

Anyway, I seem to have narrowed down to Comfort and Safeguard. Both include "Business Use" although I haven't got to the bottom of how this is defined for either policy yet.

Safeguard is the more expensive quote as it includes Breakdown cover as standard (which I don't think I need as it duplicates the VW Assistance cover) and also because, following consultation with the underwriter they added £100 (exactly £100 which seems a bit of a fix to me) for the Business Use cover. This brings the quote to nearly £600.

Comfort is quite a bit cheaper at £370 (without the breakdown cover but with the business cover). However this policy comes with the 36 hour / 48 hour storage exclusion clause - and I can already think of one forthcoming occasion where that might cause me a problem. The policy documentation on Comfort website refers to a 48 hour time period but I've seen numerous references to 36 hours in the forum so not sure which is the correct figure? 36 hours is more likely to be a problem to me than 48.

Just out of interest - can anyone comment on whether the standard VW Roadside assistance a comprehensive assistance package or is it worth going for the assistance packages offered by Safeguard or Comfort?

Any other insurers I should be trying? C&CC was too expensive and no business cover. Advance Insurance seems relatively competitive on the comparison sites but not sure what's included or not yet.

I am with Safeguard and I had business cover for a short period only. They confirmed that insured for SDP and commuting only covered the vehicle for 1 commuting destination and any other use to attend training courses etc would require business insurance. They fully understood the scope of business use and the process to add this was straightforward.

I know I am paying for breakdown cover when VW provide this aswell however they were still cheaper than any other bespoke campervan insurance company quotes and have cover for unlimited miles and breakdown cover on the continent.

I realised today that my insurance comes up for renewal on 24 May and I haven't had a renewal quote (possibly deliberate, not wanting me to have time to shop around?).

So I spent the whole afternoon on a couple of comparison sites (one of which was pretty rubbish!) and got some quotes - one from a company I've never heard of that was ridiculously cheap and as i think to an extent you get what you pay for, I ignored that. Another cheapish one was Flux Direct, and I've heard some horror stories about people trying to claim from them. Caravan and Motorhome Club seemed quite expensive although I didn't have a renewal quote for them to beat.

Then, armed with my quotes, I phoned Safeguard who of course tols me that my renewal was on the way but they could let me have figures on the phone - which was great as there were a couple of changes, one being an SP30 I managed to collect!

Decided I shall go with them when the renewal arrives as it was only £3.39 more than last year! (And I forgot to tell them I'm a member of VWCC)

I'm 70 this year, my OH is 78, we each have an SP30, and I have a third driver as it's been very useful in the past for my daughter to be able to drive my vehicle, and the van is kept on our 'driveway' (well it's the front lawn really but still...) so I don't think I'm doing too badly at £435.89