Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scenic Insurance - Any experiences ?

Ewan

Ewan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My insurance renewal is coming up and I've been looking at quotes from Comfort, Safeguard and Scenic. I've been with Comfort for the last two years and have got a competitive quote again (just under £300 for 10k miles including business use).

However, the chap at Scenic pointed out that my 10 yrs+ no claims bonus (earned prior to Comfort) will expire very soon. It seems NCB is only 'live' for 2 years. They would honour it if I switched but I would lose this by staying with Comfort. The Scenic quote was only marginally higher than Comfort's so pretty competitive. (Safeguard's was way off - largely since they can't exclude breakdown cover which I already have).

This whole NCB business seems a minefield ... what are the pros and cons ? And does anyone have experience of Scenic ? (Think they're connected to Safeguard since they referred me directly).

I am in the same boat as you and at the moment insured with comfort I have a proof of nc
Of 13 years that I don't want to lose. So I will be looking next year so would be interested in your outcome. I have heard of scenic :thumb

Try Caravan & Camping Club insurance. I moved from Comfort to them for this very reason. CC&C quote was only £18 or so more than comfort & of course I get to keep my 10 Yrs NCB.
Apparently you don't need to be a member to get a qoute.

Thanks both. The more I think about this, the more it makes sense to move insurer to keep the NBC. While Comfort are cheaper (marginally), staying with them would reduce by ability/flexibility to move insurers - and shop around to get the best deal.

Ewan said:
Thanks both. The more I think about this, the more it makes sense to move insurer to keep the NBC. While Comfort are cheaper (marginally), staying with them would reduce by ability/flexibility to move insurers - and shop around to get the best deal.

That was exactly my thought process at renewal time.

Well I decided to renew with Scenic - only £27 more than Comfort with a lower excess, similar cover and I get to keep all my 9+ years NCB. They're owned by Swinton, underwritten by Axa.

I tried the C&CC insurance but they wouldn't provide Class 1 Business which I need for my work. Comfort don't recognise NCB and I stood to lose it all. And Safeguard couldn't exclude breakdown cover which I still have as my van's less than 3 years old.

Something tells me that some more competition is needed in the insurance market for Cali owners ...

Just tried Scenic for my first year's renewal (currently with Comfort) - Class 1 Business use is the killer - they effectively refused to quote.

Looks like I'll be staying with Comfort ...

That's odd. I got Class 1 business use, additional named driver, up to 10,000 miles all for £320.

Less for me with Direct Line subject to usual caveats eg over 40, parked on drive not only car, class 1 and in lower risk area.

Direct Line don't do campervan insurance or was it me.... :?:
C&CC don't do NCB from a car to a campervan..... :x

I insured with Direct Line the first year I had my Cali, before I discovered Comfort.

Regards Barry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Barryjm said:
I insured with Direct Line the first year I had my Cali, before I discovered Comfort.

Regards Barry

I was told by Direct Line that they do not do campervan insurance they only insure vans that was two years ago that's why i went to C&CC insurance and was told by them that i could not use my NCB from my car to a campervan instead they gave me five years NCB discount straight away and now i think i have lost my NCB for my car i will contact C&CC tomorrow to see what is going on... :?

direct line now do a Cali as a car no issues, it used have to be on a Van policy but ok now.

Yes Andy you are absolutely right as i found out today i explain to them what had happened when the Insuraance started they said that i should have been able to use my NCB so i asked them to reinstate it they refused on the grounds that it had been over two years even though they had made a mistake the fight continues.... :evil:

Gary&Heather said:
Yes Andy you are absolutely right as i found out today i explain to them what had happened when the Insuraance started they said that i should have been able to use my NCB so i asked them to reinstate it they refused on the grounds that it had been over two years even though they had made a mistake the fight continues.... :evil:

Keep on at them if they have made a mistake & good luck.