Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali ocean first service

Willshake

Willshake

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
My california ocean is almost two years old and has done a modest 10k miles.
The dash says it's time for service.
Listers Droitwich, where I purchased the vehicle quoted oil and filter change £165+VAT
Stratford Listers which would be more convenient says it needs an inspection service which includes oil and filter. It quoted £266 inclusive of Vat.
I'm confused as to which I should choose
Can a fellow club member give any advice?

My california ocean is almost two years old and has done a modest 10k miles.
The dash says it's time for service.
Listers Droitwich, where I purchased the vehicle quoted oil and filter change £165+VAT
Stratford Listers which would be more convenient says it needs an inspection service which includes oil and filter. It quoted £266 inclusive of Vat.
I'm confused as to which I should choose
Can a fellow club member give any advice?
Unless changed for the T6 at 2 years, never mind the milage I believe you should also have the DSG oil and Filter changed as well as the Haldex oil. Also I believe Brake fluid change and an AirCon service, although some believe that is a gimmick by VW, something I don't subscribe to.

Many service items are both milage OR time related, whichever comes first. Depends how long you plan to keep the vehicle as to whether you bother with the other items.

The display will have a separate warning for the Oil Service or Inspection service. Which is it saying is now due?

I always do an oil service annually- irrespective of the display.

Things like Haldex and timing belt etc are always replaced at the VW replacement date in the service manual.

I will make sure that I have a full VW inspection service before the 3yr warranty expires.

Beforehand I will plug in the VCDS diagnostics and print out the full report, so that I have ammunition to seek warranty repairs on any failures being reported in the diagnostics.

Unless changed for the T6 at 2 years, never mind the milage I believe you should also have the DSG oil and Filter changed as well as the Haldex oil. Also I believe Brake fluid change and an AirCon service, although some believe that is a gimmick by VW, something I don't subscribe to.

Many service items are both milage OR time related, whichever comes first. Depends how long you plan to keep the vehicle as to whether you bother with the other items.

Spoke to the chief technician at Droitwich on Saturday as I specifically asked about the DSG box & any servicing requirements. He stated categorically that the DSG on all Transporters should have the oil changed every 40k miles irrespective of time elapsed.

Hi the first service if following the uk service regime of minor (oil and filter) major (all filters and oil) then your vehicle would be due an oil and filter change, a pollen filter replacement, and an air con service. If following vw Germany’s service schedule then your vehicle is due an inspection service ever year and an oil change up to two years or 30000 miles which ever comes first. Remember your oil quality is measured by the vehicle so if it says oil change then do it.

A/c service is due every 2 years

Brake fluid is due after the first 3 years then every 2 years there after.

Haldex oil is now due every 3 years irrespective of mileage

DSG oil is due every 40k and the box is filterd for life personally I would change the filter every 80k

Air and fuel filters are due at 80k

Pollen filter is due every 40k or 2 years who’ve ever comes first.

Oil is up to 2 years or 30000 miles but is monitored by a quality sensor and will come on when serverly degraded.

Inspection service every year but depends if your following the uk regime or the German one either way the dash will show inspection service every year.

Hope that helps you decide

Spoke to the chief technician at Droitwich on Saturday as I specifically asked about the DSG box & any servicing requirements. He stated categorically that the DSG on all Transporters should have the oil changed every 40k miles irrespective of time elapsed.
Good to know. I do about 20,000 a year so 2 years for me and for what it costs the Haldex will be done at the same time.

An oil monitor sensor in the engine....whatever next
the oil sensor is in the sender unit if the oil viscosity drops below a certain standard it will bring your service light on

Which oil is changed in the Haldex. You need the clutch oil more than the gear oil. I only ask this as on my passat 4wd there was no oil change requirement for the haldex type 4. So I had to buy the parts (filter ) from volvo as they use the same unit and require it to be serviced. Looks like VW has seen the light if it now requires a 3 yearly change.

Which oil is changed in the Haldex. You need the clutch oil more than the gear oil. I only ask this as on my passat 4wd there was no oil change requirement for the haldex type 4. So I had to buy the parts (filter ) from volvo as they use the same unit and require it to be serviced. Looks like VW has seen the light if it now requires a 3 yearly change.

Just the heldex clutch the diff is filled for life

If I look at the service info on my display it's shows miles/ days to oil change. I assumed the days would start at 730 ie two years and count down to zero. The miles and days on mine increase and decrease when I check it which doesn't seem to make sense to me.

If I look at the service info on my display it's shows miles/ days to oil change. I assumed the days would start at 730 ie two years and count down to zero. The miles and days on mine increase and decrease when I check it which doesn't seem to make sense to me.

It all adjusts due to driving style and oil degradation it’s a maximum of 730 days for an oil change but it’s variable depending on the conditions the vehicle operates under

It all adjusts due to driving style and oil degradation it’s a maximum of 730 days for an oil change but it’s variable depending on the conditions the vehicle operates under
Mine went down to zero days but showed 7000 plus miles to oil change which seem illogical. is it looking at days it sits idle as well?

Hi the first service if following the uk service regime of minor (oil and filter) major (all filters and oil) then your vehicle would be due an oil and filter change, a pollen filter replacement, and an air con service. If following vw Germany’s service schedule then your vehicle is due an inspection service ever year and an oil change up to two years or 30000 miles which ever comes first. Remember your oil quality is measured by the vehicle so if it says oil change then do it.

A/c service is due every 2 years

Brake fluid is due after the first 3 years then every 2 years there after.

Haldex oil is now due every 3 years irrespective of mileage

DSG oil is due every 40k and the box is filterd for life personally I would change the filter every 80k

Air and fuel filters are due at 80k

Pollen filter is due every 40k or 2 years who’ve ever comes first.

Oil is up to 2 years or 30000 miles but is monitored by a quality sensor and will come on when serverly degraded.

Inspection service every year but depends if your following the uk regime or the German one either way the dash will show inspection service every year.

Hope that helps you decide

Hi VW Guru,

Thanks for this level of information. It does raise a few questions for me however.
Is the service regime on the DSG gearbox the same for T5 and T6, e.g. no need to change the oil filter? this does concern me.

Also on a similar vane, no need to replace filter in Haldex when one exists.!! Would you change this if it was your own Van?

Ian

Mine went down to zero days but showed 7000 plus miles to oil change which seem illogical. is it looking at days it sits idle as well?
Probably. Things degrade over time as well as distance.

Hi VW Guru,

Thanks for this level of information. It does raise a few questions for me however.
Is the service regime on the DSG gearbox the same for T5 and T6, e.g. no need to change the oil filter? this does concern me.

Also on a similar vane, no need to replace filter in Haldex when one exists.!! Would you change this if it was your own Van?

Ian

Hi @Califorian the T5gp (T5.1) with the dsg box and the T6 are the same for the oil change on the box and both filtered for life. The Heldex is also the same. Would I change it if it was mine? yes I would fresh oil and a new filter should always be done together in my personal opinion :thumb