Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service interval

C

camper-x

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Just had a chat to West Yorkshire Van centre as the dash on my 2009 California has indicated service in 2000 miles. I spoke to a nice chap called Chris who tells me the van has been set to request service via time and distance as 10K or every 12 months. He says this is fine, though it is more usual to set to 15K - 18K or every 2 years.

This Cali was last serviced by VW at 36069 in July 16 and is now showing 37,400 so am thinking I may use my cousins Snap On diagnostic machine to remove the service light and change the setting to remind in 15K or 14 months.

I gather there are two schedules as Interval (minor £145 plus) and Inspection (major £295 plus)

All sound about right to you folks?

Any thoughts on virtue of dropping the oil and doing the filter more frequently at home anyway as I have the facilities to do that. Unnecessary? The Van has been dry stored and only done 1K miles since last service, though it was a while ago (July 16)

Thanks in advance!

Especially if the vehicle is not being used. Once out of the can oil starts degrading, more so if it is not in use for the intended purpose. It absorbs water which in normal use would be " boiled" as the oil heats. Left standing, not good. Seals dry out or get deformed by staying in 1 position for prolonged periods, just as tyres do. AirCon can fail if not used regularly as the refrigerant has lubricants in it. Many things have a vastly shortened lifespan if not used and not laid up properly.
If it's a low milage use I would change the oil annually regardless. If it is in regular use then go by the service schedule. I do 20,000 + a year so oil gets changed when the computer says so.

Think I'll do about 12K PA.
When does the computer say so WelshGas? Every 20K or 2 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also - when the computer says service, its only monitoring time and mileage between services right? Wonder why mine is asking for a service in 2000 miles. It's only done 1000 miles and 8 months since last oil change.

Also - when the computer says service, its only monitoring time and mileage between services right? Wonder why mine is asking for a service in 2000 miles. It's only done 1000 miles and 8 months since last oil change.

The computer monitors, time, mileage and also the condition of the oil, using a sensor that measures the conductivity, or similar.
Because I do a lot of long journeys my last oil change was requested at 26,000 miles, but Service check was at 20,000, so both done at the earlier time/mileage.
Lower mileage and short trips will change the oil conductivity and the computer calculate a shorter interval/lower mileage for oil change.

The computer monitors, time, mileage and also the condition of the oil, using a sensor that measures the conductivity, or similar.
Because I do a lot of long journeys my last oil change was requested at 26,000 miles, but Service check was at 20,000, so both done at the earlier time/mileage.
Lower mileage and short trips will change the oil conductivity and the computer calculate a shorter interval/lower mileage for oil change.
So how often would you use the van, mine is purely for trips as I have a car for everyday use?

So how often would you use the van, mine is purely for trips as I have a car for everyday use?
That's it exactly - the California is a converted van, and how often are vans used? The longest mine has been laid up was 3 weeks at Heathrow while we were in Australia. Its used at least 4 times a week + trips away as we average 60-90 days in it + numerous long distance trips staying in hotels or visiting friends.
Already been to Holland this year , 3 weeks in Scandinavia and 4 weeks in Europe already sorted.

If the OP is only averaging just 1500 miles a year and have no plans to increase the milage then, personally I would have sold it and put the money + savings on Insurance and Servicing into an account and hire as and when if I really wanted to stay in a California. Personal choice.

That's it exactly - the California is a converted van, and how often are vans used? The longest mine has been laid up was 3 weeks at Heathrow while we were in Australia. Its used at least 4 times a week + trips away as we average 60-90 days in it + numerous long distance trips staying in hotels or visiting friends.
Already been to Holland this year , 3 weeks in Scandinavia and 4 weeks in Europe already sorted.

If the OP is only averaging just 1500 miles a year and have no plans to increase the milage then, personally I would have sold it and put the money + savings on Insurance and Servicing into an account and hire as and when if I really wanted to stay in a California. Personal choice.

I should have been clearer. I bought the van from an owner who had only done 1K miles. I'll be doing a lot more :)

So the service request only refers to oil, mine didn't need a service based on either time elapsed or mileage, so it must have failed on oil conductivity due to the Mobil 1 being stood for 9 months less 1K miles use.

Yet I was able to reset the service warning with the Snap On machine this evening.

If conductivity is out of tolerance wouldn't it still request a service?

I should have been clearer. I bought the van from an owner who had only done 1K miles. I'll be doing a lot more :)

So the service request only refers to oil, mine didn't need a service based on either time elapsed or mileage, so it must have failed on oil conductivity due to the Mobil 1 being stood for 9 months less 1K miles use.

Yet I was able to reset the service warning with the Snap On machine this evening.

If conductivity is out of tolerance wouldn't it still request a service?

Will probably need to be run for some miles first. After an Oil Change it takes about 500 miles before the Oil Change mileage registers. Having reset the Service Indicator then it may have reset the Oil Change mileage and you will get an indication after 500 miles or so.

Will probably need to be run for some miles first. After an Oil Change it takes about 500 miles before the Oil Change mileage registers. Having reset the Service Indicator then it may have reset the Oil Change mileage and you will get an indication after 500 miles or so.

Intriguing. Thanks!

Just get it serviced once a year unless you particularly enjoy checking the state of brake fluid, antifreeze, crawling underneath to check brake hoses, suspension bushes, steering components etc. A service isn't just about oil changes its about safety.

I don't mind doing all that to be honest, but keen to keep full VW stamp going for resale value more than anything else. The van bit is just a Transporter at the end of the day. Intrigued by this oil conductivity probe though.

Does a VW service include the camper bits and bobs or just the van?

Aha. What else do you service and where then? Just check the gas system and switch the regulator/pipe annually?

Aha. What else do you service and where then? Just check the gas system and switch the regulator/pipe annually?

There is no legal requirement for this, unless hiring out, but you can have a Gas Safety Check carried out every 3 years, normally a Caravan centre can do this, or check yourself for leaks and change the rubber gas tubing every 3 - 5 years. The regulator can be changed at the same time or when it fails.
Hook up the EHU monthly for at least 24 hrs to keep the Leisure Batteries in good condition.
Also useful to fire up the Parking Heater on a regular basis , excluding height of summer, and I personally ensure the roof is put up and down at least monthly.

There is no legal requirement for this, unless hiring out, but you can have a Gas Safety Check carried out every 3 years, normally a Caravan centre can do this, or check yourself for leaks and change the rubber gas tubing every 3 - 5 years. The regulator can be changed at the same time or when it fails.
Hook up the EHU monthly for at least 24 hrs to keep the Leisure Batteries in good condition.
Also useful to fire up the Parking Heater on a regular basis , excluding height of summer, and I personally ensure the roof is put up and down at least monthly.
Agree with everything also run aircon

Just booked my T6 in for a service. The dealer expressed surprise that I want it serviced after only a year / 8,000 miles. But as a (relatively) low use vehicle I want the peace of mind that it has been checked over. I bought a 4 service plan up front so it'll still last me 4 years.

Back