Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali order placed so now for the fun bit

but as the Cali mirrors are huge in comparison then once folded I don‘t there’d be a problem.
The mirrors are not a lot narrower when folded as they tilt up rather than in.

That'll be very tight. You might just get away with it if the garage floor is completely level and the drive running up to it is also completely level. If there's any step up/ramp etc. then you might struggle. You can get factory lowering springs (get the dealer to install) to drop the height slightly too. Also remember the "sweep" of the door (unless it's a roller shutter) as it drops too and factor that in for the length you need.

Have you checked width? Unless you've got a double garage door, you might find that's the bigger restriction.
Yes the floor is completely flat other than the weather strip at the entrance but I’m going to be stuffed with the internal garage door rails I think. Don’t really want the added expense of changing to rollers as id have to do both doirs otherwise it would look odd.

Don‘t think I can have lower springs because I’ve ordered DCC although I’m sure I read somewhere that it sits a little lower than standard with this, although I may have dreamed that.

Despite all the great warnings on this site, like a lot of people I got sucked into buying everything for my Cali and am now in the process of sorting out what I really need. It does depend on whether I’m travelling solo or whether there are two of us and a dog and time of year.

1. I ditched the (un)comfortable VW comfort mattress and bought a Duvalay topper (5cm freshetc) - always had a great nights sleep on this downstairs

2. I have the Cadac Safari Chef 30 Compact which I’m really pleased with. I’ve also just bought a Ridgemonkey BBQ as it folds down flat (yet to try!)

3. Rainbow thermal screen - external. Keeps us snug on cold days and cool on hot. Also have the Brandrup internal which we keep flat under the mattress, good space savers

4. Campervan carpets two piece set, lots of fab designs or custom options to choose from, covers the rails and quickly pop one on top of the other when need to slide bench forward

5. We have the comfortz awning room and love it. Compact size, quick to put up and take down and adds some nice useable space.

6. Toilet tent - occasional use (as we pop the thetford 335 in the awning room at night) but i highly recommend the Colapz shower/toilet tent. Umbrella style very easy and quick to put up / take down and no fighting to get it back in the bag. Disadvantage is it’s larger than other toilet tents when packed.

7. Bike rack - I’ve the Thule Wander Way 2 - as we only have two bikes

8. Brandrup second skin, fit perfectly and no longer need to worry about the seats

9. Best advice, don’t make the mistake I did and buy too much stuff to start with.

My best purchases to date are the external windscreen cover, the awning room, the duvalay topper, campervan carpets and brandrup seat covers.

I would also recommend getting a tray for the bottom of the fridge to elevate your food away as some water tends to gather in the bottom and makes things soggy. There’s a more expensive option in the club shop, or I bought this from Amazon (SOSMAR Drainer with Drip Tray - 39 x 22.5cm recommended by someone on here which fits well). My other recommendation is some hanging wardrobe condensation removers (also on Amazon) - I have one hanging just behind the passenger seat and it’s amazing how much condensation it traps in 6 months.

Enjoy your new purchase :)
Do you use the Colapz shower/toilet tent for a shower?

I’m going to be stuffed with the internal garage door rails I think.
Are you 100% sure that the rails need to slope? , we have similar up & over doors & the rails are horizontal on ours.

The mirrors are not a lot narrower when folded as they tilt up rather than in.
Just found a post on here that the mirrors are 2150 when folded so would fit width ways. I’m sure I’m not going to fit with the height though. What is the actual height of the Cali with the awning?

Are you 100% sure that the rails need to slope? , we have similar up & over doors & the rails are horizontal on ours.
Not 100% sure but I know there’s two types of up and over. Think ones canopy and the other retractable, so that may have a difference in the way the door comes into the garage.

Just found a post on here that the mirrors are 2150 when folded so would fit width ways. I’m sure I’m not going to fit with the height though. What is the actual height of the Cali with the awning?

The middle of the roof is the highest point if you have a Thule awning - standard fitment on an Ocean. A Fiama awning was fitted to early calis which are mounted on different brackets.

Have a search for the thread "6.1 CALI HEIGHT, OVER 2M". my first T6.1 was 2.03m when delivered but settled to be lower at 1.98

In that thread it shows the brochure stating 1.980m and the handbook saying 2.030m

The only thing you can do to be sure is measure your van when it turns up.

I have been in out out the garage this morning measuring everything

The length of the garage is a bit over 6m but have units running across the back so about 5.5m parking. The garage door width is just over 2.4m and about 2.35 clearance and the R8 goes in without having to fold the mirrors but as the Cali mirrors are huge in comparison then once folded I don‘t there’d be a problem.

However because they are up and over and not a roller there are rails inside which I’ve just measured and as you can see they slope down so there‘s only about 195cm clearance :(

View attachment 110672
Might be worth seeing if there's any scope for those rails to be raised slightly so they're at least level with the internal height of the garage door? You should be good for width - I have a 2.4m pinch point drive and I'm intending to pilot my new Cali down there tomorrow afternoon (I'll probably have to escape out of the sliding door though!).

Otherwise lift a dozen paving slabs into the Cali when it's on the drive to temporarily lower it before backing into the garage

Yes, probably best to wait until I get the van and then see what can be done.

I find the lower bed quite comfortable as is, without comfort mattress (even though I have one, I've never tried it, it just sits in the garage, collecting dust) or any other mattress.. I'm sure I'm not the only one, right?

I found the mattress in the pop top comfortable for me so it’s just the bottom one I’ll need to sort out. I did think after i ordered the Cali that the comfort mattress might be more comfortable than just the seats if you’re in the van relaxing back with the seats down and the back panel up. I’ll have a more of a think with that one.

I don‘t recall us selling any skewers with silicone handles so probably not from our shop. What make are they?

No idea what make the skewers were - wish I’d taken note as never seen them anywhere else! On the subject of windscreen cover we have (like many others) the comfortz one and I like it - I do find the internal blinds a bit of a pain but my husband thinks the exact opposite. Never bothered with seat covers - they still look like new thanks to autoglym fabric cleaner - we figured we would cover them when they look like they need it! Don’t have a dog tho to put mucky paws on them. As you can see from this thread one persons ‘must have’ is another persons unnecessary waste of space - it’s all so individual :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the front window cover is better for the winter months?

Is that the main two bike racks to consider? I’ve read about both of these and no mention of any others.

Thanks for the broom tip although not sure my other half wants to go camping in bad weather although you can never rely on UK forecasts. The Cali will be garaged when not used so won’t be left outside. Just going to measure the garage door height now :oops:
Many people get the covers to cut down on window condensation when you sleep in the camper in spring and fall. I don't think it's a particularly good solution since condensation will take place on any cold surfaces but it's a topic with diverging opinions ;)

Diamont and Uebler also make bike racks. There are enough choices within any of the makes to confuse just about anyone. Consider number and type of bikes, their individual and combined weights and the width of handlebars for allowing the tailgate to open when the rack is tilted. Check out this thread: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/which-tow-bar-mounted-bike-rack.43510/

You may be able to store a lot of things neatly packed but it won't stay that way when you start using it. My advice is to hold off on any but the most basic purchases until you actually realise the need.

With a lot of you recommending the Cadac Safari Chef, do you use a separate camping table like this one at Costco?
Camping table

Or do you just use the outdoor cali table?

I have been in out out the garage this morning measuring everything

The length of the garage is a bit over 6m but have units running across the back so about 5.5m parking. The garage door width is just over 2.4m and about 2.35 clearance and the R8 goes in without having to fold the mirrors but as the Cali mirrors are huge in comparison then once folded I don‘t there’d be a problem.

However because they are up and over and not a roller there are rails inside which I’ve just measured and as you can see they slope down so there‘s only about 195cm clearance :(

View attachment 110672
Yeah I have the same problem with the rail on my garage, sadly though I do t have an R8 to put in there anymore either!

1. Mattress (we didn’t order the comfort mattress based on posts I’ve read) - good choice, get the Outdoor Revolution 120 with the little rechargeable pump to speed up inflation and deflation, half the price!
  2. Outdoor cooking - I got a PartyGrill 400cv on offer for about £75 seems to work great
  3. Front window cover thingy - trying to get one of these myself
  4. Carpets / rugs - I bought the cheaper club shop 3 piece ones and door steps, not as good quality as the brandrup, but considerably cheaper, i regard them as semi disposable anyway.
  5. Awning - I have two kids, my son is autistic so the extra room is great on longer trips, I went Kampa Touring Air in cotton, it’s the only larger correctly handed (for the Cali) cotton awning available, I would of gone outdoor revolution M4 if I’d have gone poly.
  6. Toilet tent (can you get one attached or matching the awning?) - toilet goes in the van or in the awning for us
  7. Bike rack (I’ve ordered the towbar) - I got the tow bar too, I have an old Thule but the tailgate doesn’t open, I would like the newer Thule but it’s £900 so difficult to justify just to save the hassle of taking it off.
  8. Seat covers - this is an interesting one, in hindsight I should of gone with the art velours even though I didn’t fancy the extra price for plastic fake leather, the cloth seats do mark easy and I hate seat covers, the second skins are really expensive and it’s the same material, frankly I’d like a proper leather retrim done
  9. Second mortgage to pay for all the accessories - yeah inevitable, you also also need to factor in loads more crap, sleeping bags, travel pillows, packing cubes, plates, glasses, levelling ramps, extra chairs, wind break, cutlery, mattress covers, really useful storage boxes, micro fibre towels, the thetford, a roof ladder in our case, electric hookup cables, kettles, ridge monkey, awning lights, outdoor mats, carista, roof cover, coffee making facilities, diddy heater, we’re even looking for a wardrobe for the awning for longer trips lol

1. Mattress (we didn’t order the comfort mattress based on posts I’ve read) - good choice, get the Outdoor Revolution 120 with the little rechargeable pump to speed up inflation and deflation, half the price!
  2. Outdoor cooking - I got a PartyGrill 400cv on offer for about £75 seems to work great
  3. Front window cover thingy - trying to get one of these myself
  4. Carpets / rugs - I bought the cheaper club shop 3 piece ones and door steps, not as good quality as the brandrup, but considerably cheaper, i regard them as semi disposable anyway.
  5. Awning - I have two kids, my son is autistic so the extra room is great on longer trips, I went Kampa Touring Air in cotton, it’s the only larger correctly handed (for the Cali) cotton awning available, I would of gone outdoor revolution M4 if I’d have gone poly.
  6. Toilet tent (can you get one attached or matching the awning?) - toilet goes in the van or in the awning for us
  7. Bike rack (I’ve ordered the towbar) - I got the tow bar too, I have an old Thule but the tailgate doesn’t open, I would like the newer Thule but it’s £900 so difficult to justify just to save the hassle of taking it off.
  8. Seat covers - this is an interesting one, in hindsight I should of gone with the art velours even though I didn’t fancy the extra price for plastic fake leather, the cloth seats do mark easy and I hate seat covers, the second skins are really expensive and it’s the same material, frankly I’d like a proper leather retrim done
  9. Second mortgage to pay for all the accessories - yeah inevitable, you also also need to factor in loads more crap, sleeping bags, travel pillows, packing cubes, plates, glasses, levelling ramps, extra chairs, wind break, cutlery, mattress covers, really useful storage boxes, micro fibre towels, the thetford, a roof ladder in our case, electric hookup cables, kettles, ridge monkey, awning lights, outdoor mats, carista, roof cover, coffee making facilities, diddy heater, we’re even looking for a wardrobe for the awning for longer trips lol
Thanks for everyone’s replies. It’s very helpful.

Will have a look at the Sea 2 Summit and the outdoor revolution mattresses.

Do you use the gas canister that you have in the back of the Cali for an outside stove / bbq or is that more hassle or is it a different canister anyway?

I‘ve optioned the art velour as a like alcantara and it doesn’t bother me if it’s real leather or man made on the sides. I would always prefer this than full leather because it’s cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Will use the Cali without covers when not away or using the kitchen. How easy is it to install and remove the covers?

Does anyone know what make these covers are on the hire Cali we had. Are they the Inka one’s that’s been recommended? Don't think I seen any that had Ocean on them.

A894A0F5-EB1C-42BF-A95A-EBE2DA09F28A.jpeg

Already got a few bits that we bought for our 3 day rental. I own a cookshop so most of the kitchen stuff will come from there. Will get a small heater and forgot about the levellers.

Thanks for everyone’s replies. It’s very helpful.

Will have a look at the Sea 2 Summit and the outdoor revolution mattresses.

Do you use the gas canister that you have in the back of the Cali for an outside stove / bbq or is that more hassle or is it a different canister anyway?

I‘ve optioned the art velour as a like alcantara and it doesn’t bother me if it’s real leather or man made on the sides. I would always prefer this than full leather because it’s cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Will use the Cali without covers when not away or using the kitchen. How easy is it to install and remove the covers?

Does anyone know what make these covers are on the hire Cali we had. Are they the Inka one’s that’s been recommended? Don't think I seen any that had Ocean on them.

View attachment 110964

Already got a few bits that we bought for our 3 day rental. I own a cookshop so most of the kitchen stuff will come from there. Will get a small heater and forgot about the levellers.
If they say Ocean on them then I think they are the OEM ones from Volkswagen. Can get them via your dealer, Campervantastic also sell them I think. Inka ones say California instead.

If they say Ocean on them then I think they are the OEM ones from Volkswagen. Can get them via your dealer, Campervantastic also sell them I think. Inka ones say California instead.
Couldn't see the Ocean branded seat covers in the VW CV accessories brochure. I'll ask the hire people where they got them.

I also noticed that VW do their own foldable towbar bike rack but when googling the part number (3C2071105 for the 2 bike and 3C2071105A for the 3 bike) can't find anyone that stocks it, is this no longer available doe anyone know?

Couldn't see the Ocean branded seat covers in the VW CV accessories brochure. I'll ask the hire people where they got them.

I also noticed that VW do their own foldable towbar bike rack but when googling the part number (3C2071105 for the 2 bike and 3C2071105A for the 3 bike) can't find anyone that stocks it, is this no longer available doe anyone know?

Try this, was sent to me by the sales rep at Eurovans in May. They’re also available in grey.

Attachments

• SEAT COVERS OCEAN 2.pdf
    84.6 KB · Views: 50
Try this, was sent to me by the sales rep at Eurovans in May. They’re also available in grey.
We've just got the grey version from campervantastic as needed isofix for the kids, arrived yesterday and fitted today :)