Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali SE boot space - Waeco freezer

ChocolateEclair

ChocolateEclair

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
i have just ordered my Cali and thinking about a Waeco freezer for the boot area when away on longer trips.

If any current owner has a spare moment could you let me know the boot dimensions underneath the shelf and behind the rear seats?

Also, if anyone currently has any thoughts on the Waeco freezers that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

If you're going to have a freezer you might want to think about one of these - hope you agree its just about relevant to your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu-_YknX8Jg

Does anyone know anyone that fits these? The mechanism itself obviously uses up a bit of room but might make it much more usable.

Along similar lines to the previous post I have this on a fridge slide in my Beach.

It's is astoundingly good... Powerful and frugal!!

This is the 35l version, and just fits under the multiflex board.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1416777932.436217.jpg

Why do you need a freezer?What frozen goods do you need to travel with?
Why don't you eat fresh, shop local?

snowy55 said:
Why do you need a freezer?What frozen goods do you need to travel with?
Why don't you eat fresh, shop local?

Can't beat an ice lolly on a warm day!

TBH mine has only ever been used as a fridge, but the power to freeze means that even if the van gets super hot during the day, while locked up in the full sun, the fridge is more than up to the task of keeping things cool.

Cooling devices are often measured in there capacity to cool from the ambient temperature, so if my Waeco can go to -18 with ease, then while set at 3 degrees, even on the hottest days, I know all is well in the fridge.

jamesC said:
Along similar lines to the previous post I have this on a fridge slide in my Beach.

It's is astoundingly good... Powerful and frugal!!

This is the 35l version, and just fits under the multiflex board.

That looks pretty impressive and I like the roll out drawer - very handy.

In reply to snowy, we like to get off the beaten track and hate wasting half a day trying to find a decent shop every time we need provisions.

We visited Norway a couple of years back and drove from Bergen along the coast up to the Arctic Circle - there weren't many food stores along the way and the ones we came across weren't particularly good with prices sky high. I like the thought of stocking up for a week at a time and forgetting about it - oh and have a bit of ice for a G&T after a long day out.

I guess it depends on how you use your van. If we were cruising around the UK I probably wouldn't bother with it as you know you're never far from a supermarket, but anywhere remote and it's nice to know I'm fully self sufficient.

We have the same 35L Waeco fridge as JamesC. I'd just like to say that whilst it fits under the multiflex board on a 3 seater Beach, we have the 2 seater Beach and it will not fit under the board.....so most likely wouldn't fit under an SE bed board either. We lash ours down behind the front passenger seat when travelling, we did realise before we purchased it that it wouldn't fit under the rear board before buying it due to a thread on this forum some time ago. :thumb
It's a brilliant bit of kit and we are really pleased with ours.

"In reply to snowy, we like to get off the beaten track and hate wasting half a day trying to find a decent shop every time we need provisions."

Now I understand your need. :thanks

I use the Cali fridge as a freezer.

GrannyJen said:
I use the Cali fridge as a freezer.

'tis a good point, if you have it turned up high then the back wall does get cold enough to freeze milk.

This can be seen as a feature or a pain, depending on how careful you are with fridge loading.

We tend to stack the back wall of the fridge with cans of drink to act as a frost buffer :)

Yes, my milk was frozen this morning :)

However if I pre-freeze the fridge, then load it with frozen food before leaving, it stays frozen for a heck of a long time.

I got fed up with lugging around my slow cooker and taking time out to go shopping, then more time out preparing... So I started just freezing single portions of whatever I was eating at home.

My last trip to France and Belgium was for 6 days and the frozen lamb casserole I took with me but never got around to eating was still a frozen lamb casserole when I got back.

Never had this freezing problem, we run ours on number 3 or 4. On our thermometer it reads 4-5 degrees in the bottom and 9-10 at the top of the basket . All the stuff in the bottom is put in a snug fitting stacker box.
What number do people run you're fridges on?

Back