Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali se - wing mirror query!

Open_road!

Open_road!

Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
we have an se on order, and whilst waiting I am working my way through the list of prep-purchases ! We are ridiculously excited, - and now we have to think about the sensible stuff, like , where will it live... I am pretty sure that I have purchased a van which does not fit in my garage!, but before I confess this to my husband, can anyone tell me how wide the van is with the mirrors folded in?

Hello and welcome to Cali ownership (to be) :thumb

Unfortunately the Cali is not much narrower than with the mirrors in the normal position; instead of folding in they fold upwards. I guess maybe 2" less than normal. If it's critical I'll get the tape measure out!.

Colin

Mine fits through a standard single garage door with the wing mirrors folded in. Mine is lowered by 30mm, I'm not sure it would fit if it wasn't.

Ours JUST fitted through the standard garage door with about 1.5cm clearance each side of the folded wing mirrors. We have now fitted an electric roller garage door which has allowed us to remove the up and over garage door frame giving us a huge(!) 5cm gap each side. Doesn't sound much but makes the whole process a lot less stressful

Snap ! We had to remove the timber frame of our garage and install a Harman Sectional door.
This will allow us to just squeeze in.

Thanks very much Colin and others- I'm sure that's just the first in a run of instances where this forum will be useful! The overhead clearance is fine, but we have heavy wood garage doors held in position with a hefty frame and it's the frame which is causing the critical measuring- we have ordered through breeze in poole- I think the only thing for it is to ask for a post- order test drive and give it a go! Plan b is to turn the garden fence into a gate and drive it onto the back patio for half the year while in 'lesser' use!

Looby, just seen your thread- thank you! That gives is 2cm either side. 'Squeek'

What about cutting out a section of frame at the height of the mirrors to give extra clearance with some sort of hinged flap?

What about cutting out a section of frame at the height of the mirrors to give extra clearance with some sort of hinged flap?
That would probably be ok with a Sectional door but not with the tilt ones as they usually have a mechanism that protrudes further out than the timber.

Snowy- Unfortunately our doors are so heavy I think making a cut would weaken the frame too much. It's definately a reversing job slow coach!

We have a huge mirror along the back of the garage wall , so when we drive in forwards , we can see through the mirror how close we are to the door frame.

Back