Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali table support strap

A

alinfarah

Does anyone know if you can buy a replacement support strap for the internal table? One that attaches around the bench head-rest and bottom of the table. Mine has gone walkabout and I can't see one for sale in the accessories marketplace.

Cheers

Alin & Jane

John, I think they mean the strap for the internal table so you can hang it over the bench seat from a headrest.

Alan, I would guess VW. Our 2012 van never had one, I seem to recal they stop suppling them around then. I was looking in the manual today and wondered if you could get one

Last edited:
They do still come with new Californias. We looked round ours yesterday - not collecting until next week once it is registered - and it had the strap there because the salesman demonstrated it to us.

Ours was missing the external table in the side door and the two chairs from the tailgate though, perhaps they need to be added to the new vehicle checklist too...

Our 2010 & 2014 Calis came with one.

Has anyone ever actually used this strap? What is the advantage?

The salesman showed it used to position the table over the rear bench seat. Then you can stand at the stove cooking, with ingredients/preparation area to your left on the table.

My cook is not too fussy on that idea! ;)

Again what model are we talking about?

Standard on all UK SE's 2007 onwards but may have stopped 2015, can't say as I've not had/driven a 2015.

Although finding it can be an issue. Seen them stowed with first aid kit under cooker, in the tool kit, in the seat drawer, above the gas locker, under the drivers seat (RHD) and even in with the rear leisure battery...

Worth having a good look, you might be surprised. (Frequently with the elusive roof strap that you don't look for till it's too late :) )

Never used it in anger, can't really see the value... Mind you, never stand up to cook either...

Model type question irrelevant in this case...

Poor old Alin being shouted at on his first post. :sorry

Rgds,

Mark

The advantage is by placing the table above the rear seat you create room to stand up in front of the coocker and sink and still have some worktop/ table to put things on .....myself only used the strap once but it can be handy.
My 2012 Cali (bought in Belgium)came without the strap but my super VW dealer in Amersfoort
Netherlands gave me one for free...

Our two week old Cali has one with it.
Works well if you will use that table configuration.

Quite easy to make a replacement device. I can send you a picture if you need one to copy.

It's a great idea. My cook uses it all the time if cooking in the van. No worktop space in the Cali with the stove/sink lid open and needing to get stuff from the fridge.

We don't often swivel the seats, mostly being only two of us, so there would be nowhere to sit if we put the table over the rear seat. We just slide the table up against the front seats, it's the same thing but the other way round.

Also, I think the cooker is a bit low to use standing up, cook usually sits down next to the fridge.

We find it better to sit n cook with table out in front as worktop so never actually used the strap as yet.

Mine didn't have one (although I haven't checked all the areas suggested by Mark)!

Any adjustable strap from any camping type shop does the trick - that's what I use and it does the job perfectly well without paying the premium of a "special" strap :thumb

I think the benefit of having the extra "worktop" is really good, especially if you are "in and out" of the fridge while cooking ;)

Can't imaging not swivelling the front seats, makes the whole area feel more useable with them swivelled :confused:

We've just come back from our first weekend away in our cali. Loved getting to know her but found I was moving stuff about a lot when cooking. Table over the bench seat would have been really helpful. Searched the van for the strap but couldn't find one so I've just ordered one

Can't imaging not swivelling the front seats, makes the whole area feel more useable with them swivelled
I'm just idle ... :embarrased

Hi, I'm not following, and feeling dopey :headbang Don't suppose anyone would share a pic of this strap and/or a pic of it in use? Pretty please!

20150812_165135.jpg 20150812_165135.jpg So the table is now over the bench seat and I've got access to the fridge and cooker. Good to put the tv on too when we've got the front seas swivelled round