Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Thule roof rack Foot Pack height? 751 or 753?

I somehow managed to order the tall ones without realising there was a choice. Makes the Cali look a bit like a builders van to me. The shop have offered to swap them for me. As these are 'Rapid' are they designed to bolt on / off quickly? It's certainly not quick to set up from scratch, but once on the van can one simply release the mounting bolt on each foot and slide off / on? If so not such a big deal. I could install only when needed and run like a builder ocasionally ;-)

I would suggest that if you have the wing bars, and there is no annoying wind noise, then once they're on you can forget about them. I certainly wouldn't be bothered removing and refitting regularly.

I have the low ones. After the initial first setup you don't need to adjust the width again. To remove or fit involves unlocking the cover and then tightening or loosening the nut. Rapid might be pushing the description a bit but it doesn't take to long especially if you get a decent ratcheting spanner rather than the one supplied.
Don't tighten to hard or the locking covers won't go back on.
Shame there isn't some sort of cam lock to fit, that would be properly rapid.

Popping the covers, unbolting and slide off is ideal for us. We've yet to buy the kayaks and even with those won't use every trip. Excellent. Will have a play when I get home at the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm wanting to carry 2 kayaks (width 72cm) on our T5 SE California 2014. Having read the above conversation (and numerous other forums) I reckon the following kit will do the job:
- Thule 135cm WingBars 962
- Thule Rapid System 753
- Thule Fixpoint Kit 3057
- 2 x Thule K-Guard Kayak Rack 840 (cradle width 62.6cm, base I believe is 29cm).

Am I right in assuming that the K-Guards will fit right up against the WingBar end-caps? Thereby allowing 2 x 72cm kayaks to sit side by side? From my calculations (please see sketch!) I reckon I'd have around 15cms at each end to accommodate each the end cap and allow for further separation...
@hejh2o I'm assuming you've done something similar?
Thanks, Richard.
IMG_3114.JPG

Hi Richard, yes we can, any bits that are not listed on our website we can get in on special order for you within 48 hours so we should be able to do a good deal on the whole package.

Hi, I'm wanting to carry 2 kayaks (width 72cm) on our T5 SE California 2014. Having read the above conversation (and numerous other forums) I reckon the following kit will do the job:
- Thule 135cm WingBars 962
- Thule Rapid System 753
- Thule Fixpoint Kit 3057
- 2 x Thule K-Guard Kayak Rack 840 (cradle width 62.6cm, base I believe is 29cm).

Am I right in assuming that the K-Guards will fit right up against the WingBar end-caps? Thereby allowing 2 x 72cm kayaks to sit side by side? From my calculations (please see sketch!) I reckon I'd have around 15cms at each end to accommodate each the end cap and allow for further separation...
@hejh2o I'm assuming you've done something similar?
Thanks, Richard.
View attachment 31427

Hi Richard
Your assumption is correkt; the K-guard will fit right up against the wingbar ends, as shown in Pic 04:

If i take two halfs of your kayaks and and add the 2 cm space in between plus the with of the base of two half k-guards my result is (2*36+2+30=104cm) if you by the 135 cm wingbar you will have (135-104/2=15.5 cm) to spare in eatch of the ends.

Pic 04.JPG

Our setup as shown in Pic 01 carry two kayaks with a with between 55 and 60 cm. (also shown on previus pictures - 2016)
In our setup the distance between the two K-guards is app. 10 cm. If i move the K-guards to eatch end of the wingbar the distance between them will be 36 cm, as eatch one gives an ekstra space of 13 cm when moved - as shown in Pic above (which only show the one K-guard moved to the end of the wingbar).

Pic 01.JPG
The mesurements of the K-guard on your skech is correkt, eccept the 17 cm from base to end of K-guard: this is only 15 cm, and the base is 30 cm wide.

Please note that the total weight of the two kayaks and the roofbarsetup must not be more than 50 kg.
Please note that my wingbar is 127 cm, whitch is the precise length of the alloy bar.

I hope this answers your questions.
Best regards
Henrik aka. hejh2o

Hi Richard
Your assumption is correkt; the K-guard will fit right up against the wingbar ends, as shown in Pic 04:

If i take two halfs of your kayaks and and add the 2 cm space in between plus the with of the base of two half k-guards my result is (2*36+2+30=104cm) if you by the 135 cm wingbar you will have (135-104/2=15.5 cm) to spare in eatch of the ends.

View attachment 31588

Our setup as shown in Pic 01 carry two kayaks with a with between 55 and 60 cm. (also shown on previus pictures - 2016)
In our setup the distance between the two K-guards is app. 10 cm. If i move the K-guards to eatch end of the wingbar the distance between them will be 36 cm, as eatch one gives an ekstra space of 13 cm when moved - as shown in Pic above (which only show the one K-guard moved to the end of the wingbar).

View attachment 31589
The mesurements of the K-guard on your skech is correkt, eccept the 17 cm from base to end of K-guard: this is only 15 cm, and the base is 30 cm wide.

Please note that the total weight of the two kayaks and the roofbarsetup must not be more than 50 kg.
Please note that my wingbar is 127 cm, whitch is the precise length of the alloy bar.

I hope this answers your questions.
Best regards
Henrik aka. hejh2o

@hejh2o Hi Henrik, many thanks for taking the time to provide such a helpful answer! Kind regards, Richard.

Quick question, has anybody fitted roof rails (front to back) on the California.
If so, pictures and info would be appreciated.

Just post some photos of my California with Thule aero bars and shorter 753 foot pack.
Fits fine, if anything I would prefer them even closer to the roof.
Aero bars don't make any noise, I fitted slide bars first, these were quite noisy and added a lot of weight compared to the aero bars.
Hope photos useful
Hi, I like the look of your bars, can they be spaced any distance apart within the roof trough? I want to carry a kayak upside down sitting direct on the bars, so would need the bars further apart. Thanks

Hi

Yes, the roofbars can be mounted in any place along the whole length of the aluminum part af the roof rails.

In the attached picture (- from 'Solar Camper Solutions') as an example, you can see the solarpanels mounted a few centimeters from the back end of the rails, leaving more than 20 cm of free space in the front end of the rail...california roofrail.jpg

best regards
Henrik/hejh2o

Hi

Yes, the roofbars can be mounted in any place along the whole length of the aluminum part af the roof rails.

In the attached picture (- from 'Solar Camper Solutions') as an example, you can see the solarpanels mounted a few centimeters from the back end of the rails, leaving more than 20 cm of free space in the front end of the rail...View attachment 61857

best regards
Henrik/hejh2o
Thanks!

Thank you Hejh20, I was looking to order roof rails for my new Cali. So I'm now going for the lower 753 feet and the 127cm aero bars since I don't need a huge amount of width since I only need to attach up to two surf boards. Think the one key system 452 is also useful so I'll make sure I get that as well, thanks.

I have the 127 wingbars with the low feet. Now when we like to have two sups and two waveboards with us I consider getting two 150cm wingbars instead so I can have both sup boards side by side.

Anyone tried the Thule slidebars? I will most likely order a pair to test, should be much easier to load our sups on the roof.

Anyone tried the Thule slidebars? I will most likely order a pair to test, should be much easier to load our sups on the roof.
Hi Kave,
Did you try the slide bars?
we were considering getting some...
I watched reviews on YouTube where they rattled a lot so didn’t buy anything ... not been able to go out much this year do haven’t missed much.
Wondered if you could comment on them? Would you recommend them?
Thanks
Mark

Hi Kave,
Did you try the slide bars?
we were considering getting some...
I watched reviews on YouTube where they rattled a lot so didn’t buy anything ... not been able to go out much this year do haven’t missed much.
Wondered if you could comment on them? Would you recommend them?
Thanks
Mark
I have slide bars. Yes - I’d recommend them. They can rattle individually when unloaded but I find them to be fine when I am actually carrying a load. I always strap loads under the bars to avoid rattle even though my cradles have strap points.

I have slide bars. Yes - I’d recommend them. They can rattle individually when unloaded but I find them to be fine when I am actually carrying a load. I always strap loads under the bars to avoid rattle even though my cradles have strap points.
Fab thanks for the info ... much appreciated.
mark

Back