Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali-Topper Compact

F

frigorifix

VIP Member
Just a quick long due review of our Cali-Topper from Comfortz.
After a short period of hesitation and thanks to Nick's great advice, we chose a Cali-Topper "compact" with windows.

Nick shipped it really fast and it was in France just a few days after Paypal payment. Just in time for our trip to Italy. And we were grateful that it arrived before as we had rain almost every night of our 10 days trip (well lucky for us it rained only during the night and it was hot and sunny during the day !).

With a bit of practice it's possible to put the topper alone, but it's quite faster to be 2 people. removing it is a piece of cake. I just noticed one little thing : the screws have a little white plastic ring around, you have to make sure this ring is on the outside when sliding the screws on the rails (otherwise it doesn't slide very well).

Super easy to fold (again it's better to be 2 people as you can do it without putting it on the ground and you can shake it pretty well). It folds like a sheet and even if you don't pay to much attention in the folding, it fits perfectly inside the chair of the trunk.

We have had the "opportunity" to try it during a massive storm with winds higher than 100km/h and everything stayed perfectly compact with no flapping and no rain reaching the canopy.

Last but not least : quite efficient to keep some warmth upstairs, I think I gained 4/5°C and when the heater is on, it takes more time for the warmth to dissipate.

In short, we are very happy with our purchase and extremely grateful to Nick for his advice and great availability.

Little cherry on top : Nick sent us memory foam topper for upstairs (part of a super discount) and they are awesome ! I broke my back paragliding 2 years ago and since then backache are my everyday life. I've taken the mattress toppers out of the cali and on to my home mattress and my back has never felt so good since I broke it ! I now consider buying one the right size for my home bed!

ct1.jpg

ct2.jpg

ct3.jpg

Attachments

• ct3.jpg
    ct3.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 2
  • ct2.jpg
    ct2.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 5
  • ct1.jpg
    ct1.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 2
Hi
I am thinking about getting a topper was looking at the light Wt with windows ,Was yours the light Wt or the heavy grade topper,
Pete

Good to see your review - currently have the compact roofless topper on order (good bundle from Nick with an order of the full awning panel set also) to arrive this week.

Can I just check - do you need a ladder to put on the topper? I am only 5'3" and can't imagine I will be able to do it - thankfully Mr OxCal is not as vertically challenged as me! I have read you don't raise the roof by much when you first put it on... but even so that seems really high to me!? We will need to get the roofless bit over the roof bars so won't just be able to slide it over and along...

Also - do you fit the thumbscrews every time or do you now leave them in place even when you are not using the topper and whilst driving along?

Would love to hear your thoughts... there will be an amusing spectacle sometime this coming weekend in an Oxfordshire driveway when we have our first attempt at fitting it... :laugh2

I have the original heavyweight version of the roofless topper and I can fit it without any assistance. It seems to me that the roofless version, which wraps around the roof rather than sliding over it, must be easier to install than the full fat version

However, I am 6ft tall so you may need some steps or ladders as you need to raise the roof about 12 - 18 inches before fitting the topper from the front backwards.

Good luck !

Your right it is easier to fit the roofless topper :thumb I have the standard lightweight one
And have to open the doors and stand on the step to reach but it's easy to do :thumb

OxCal said:
Good to see your review - currently have the compact roofless topper on order (good bundle from Nick with an order of the full awning panel set also) to arrive this week.

Can I just check - do you need a ladder to put on the topper? I am only 5'3" and can't imagine I will be able to do it - thankfully Mr OxCal is not as vertically challenged as me! I have read you don't raise the roof by much when you first put it on... but even so that seems really high to me!? We will need to get the roofless bit over the roof bars so won't just be able to slide it over and along...

Also - do you fit the thumbscrews every time or do you now leave them in place even when you are not using the topper and whilst driving along?

Would love to hear your thoughts... there will be an amusing spectacle sometime this coming weekend in an Oxfordshire driveway when we have our first attempt at fitting it... :laugh2

I can't speak for the roofless version as I have the standard one and I also am 6 ft tall... But I think what you could easily do is use the step from the sliding door and from the driver's door to be able to gain a little heigh. I know my better half does it this way and it seems to work pretty well for us. ;)

Oh .....and I remove the screw fittings. It only takes a minute and I then know where they are ......with my luck I would lose at least one if I left them in.

How embarrassing - it never occurred to me to open one of the doors to 'step up' :doh - but of course, that is bound to help! My excuse of course is that we don't even have the topper yet (and have only had our Cali for 2 weeks, no outing yet :cry: and weather not exactly condusive).

Thanks also for confirming the thumb screws should be removed - yes, probably best to keep them safe as it would be annoying to lose on mid-journey!

I shall report back after the weekend! And apologies, I did not mean to hyjack this post - I just found the review and pictures very helpful and it got me thinking....

Thanks, all! :thanks

frigorifix said:
Just a quick long due review of our Cali-Topper from Comfortz.
After a short period of hesitation and thanks to Nick's great advice, we chose a Cali-Topper "compact" with windows.

Nick shipped it really fast and it was in France just a few days after Paypal payment. Just in time for our trip to Italy. And we were grateful that it arrived before as we had rain almost every night of our 10 days trip (well lucky for us it rained only during the night and it was hot and sunny during the day !).

With a bit of practice it's possible to put the topper alone, but it's quite faster to be 2 people. removing it is a piece of cake. I just noticed one little thing : the screws have a little white plastic ring around, you have to make sure this ring is on the outside when sliding the screws on the rails (otherwise it doesn't slide very well).

Super easy to fold (again it's better to be 2 people as you can do it without putting it on the ground and you can shake it pretty well). It folds like a sheet and even if you don't pay to much attention in the folding, it fits perfectly inside the chair of the trunk.

We have had the "opportunity" to try it during a massive storm with winds higher than 100km/h and everything stayed perfectly compact with no flapping and no rain reaching the canopy.

Last but not least : quite efficient to keep some warmth upstairs, I think I gained 4/5°C and when the heater is on, it takes more time for the warmth to dissipate.

In short, we are very happy with our purchase and extremely grateful to Nick for his advice and great availability.

Little cherry on top : Nick sent us memory foam topper for upstairs (part of a super discount) and they are awesome ! I broke my back paragliding 2 years ago and since then backache are my everyday life. I've taken the mattress toppers out of the cali and on to my home mattress and my back has never felt so good since I broke it ! I now consider buying one the right size for my home bed!

ct1.jpg

ct2.jpg

ct3.jpg

Hi Laurent,

I'm glad the items were okay for you! :thumb

The photo's look brilliant , you should upload them on our competition thread and you'll be in with a chance of winning a £150 voucher!

The thread is here http://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=5496

Cheers
Nick

Attachments

• ct1.jpg
    ct1.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 4
  • ct3.jpg
    ct3.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 2
  • ct2.jpg
    ct2.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 1