Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali topper flapping in the wind

beardie

beardie

Have just spent first night 'up top' with my new cali topper. Only problem was that the awning side flapped in the wind a lot more than the other side.

Assume this is because of the lack of securing points 2 rather than 4. Did double check the installation diagram.

Any suggestions / solutions?

Otherwise no problems, although early July isn't really a test of its suitability for colder weather

Not a Cali Topper owner, but saw you'd had no replies so ...

Don't know how the Cali Topper works, but the Mutze has a firmish bungee that goes through two holes mid way along. This reduces the flapping and lifting, though on a windy night a bit of flapping is the price you pay for dry.

If there aresn't any holes on the Cali Topper maybe some bungee through a couple of clip on holes of the type you can buy to pin down mats would help?

We also run additional bungy across the back and front for the same purpose

The Cali-topper should have elastic cord from front to back on the awning side maybe it needs
Tightening slightly but as mentioned you will not stop a certain amount of flapping in windy conditions.

Calikev said:
The Cali-topper should have elastic cord from front to back on the awning side maybe it needs
Tightening slightly but as mentioned you will not stop a certain amount of flapping in windy conditions.
I will check this, also noticed that the metal eyelets are starting to rust. Have pm'd and emailed them a few days ago - but no answer. Need to call, a bit disappointed!

I think the new eyelets are plastic if you call nick he will arrange to get them changed for you foc

Hi Beardie,

Sorry about the initial issues - I've just dropped an email across with the tracking details for the collection of the Cali-Topper. We'll swap the eyelets for the new plastic variants and replace the bungee rope in there for you too (Or may just send a replacement depending on the time).
The awning side of the Cali-Topper should have a piece of bungee rope running through the entire length of panel which stops the flapping issue - I'll check that yours hasn't been missed or something strange :?

Apologies once again - rest assured we'll get it rectified for you :thumb

Cheers
Nick

Ahh, this thread answers my question as I was wondering how to secure the topper on the awning side. So I assume each side has four fasteners into the awning rail, but the awning side ones are at each end? Then the awning side bungee attaches to the two inner fasteners and the corners go on the outer fasteners on the awning side?

This is our fix.
Hooks made from alloy offcuts. Stops the flapping.

Back