Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali wins again!

Errm, Westfalia were doing their camper van stuff on Vdubs 40 odd
years ago, I´ve never seen a carpeted wall in any of them.

Westfalia did a brexit leaving us with what we have now.
Something that is okay but not the real deal.

My personal perfect van would be a T6 Ocean-quality Hydrogen powered DSG 4WD, SWB, with a straight furniture design (like the Keplers, but with the two hobs in line), warm water and integrated toilet&shower tent in the tailgate (SpaceCamper), a carbon pop-up roof with integrated solar panels, and panoramic mosquito mesh (like e.g.in the Citroën SpaceTourer Rip Curl) ànd with a modular seat concept. This extra flexibility from 2 to 6p I do miss a lot from my previous Renault Espace love affair. With all the latest ultra-thin high-tech seat technology it must be possible to come up with a modular puzzle of 2+4 independent seats (with armrests and a mattress-comfort back) that can make a single bed (2 seats in row) besides a place for bikes, or a double bed. And sliding storage boxes, that could also be mounted one above the other. Plus the Soundsystem simply on leisure.
Then this one they could name 'the Grand California'.

(.... Did you just manage to pass the word 'brexit' here Westfalia???)

Last edited:
(Brexit, Brexit, Brexit, !!!! What liberation! :upsidedown;))

Last edited:
Thanks, it’s good to know that Westfalia manufactured the California in the first instance from 1988 until 2001, when VW realised there was an opportunity to build it themselves.

I think the finish is really good I.e. no carpeted walls etc and cabinets that look like they are made specially for the van, rather than something that’s made to fit.
I don't think it was quit as simple as that. I believe Westfalia were contracted to VW and then Mercedes bought a stake in Westfalia so VW decided to build the California themselves as they had the marque rather than Westfalia who were just contractors.

That might be the case. The point I was trying to get across was that Westfalia have been in the game for a long time, which gives me high confidence of their product.

I do get the feeling that perhaps my comments are not wanted here, probably because it’s not the California that ticks all the boxes for me. I can understand that as clearly members will be enthusiastic and defensive of their purchase. But it’s also a shame, as I do feel there is a lot of synergy, after all it’s the VW Van that really attracts me, such a great vehicle.

As I’ve said already, we are so lucky to have such a choice, even in the California with all the options and aftermarket accessories.

Anyway, what is really important is that you get out and use it, and that’s my plan for this year. Thanks for your input.

That might be the case. The point I was trying to get across was that Westfalia have been in the game for a long time, which gives me high confidence of their product.

I do get the feeling that perhaps my comments are not wanted here, probably because it’s not the California that ticks all the boxes for me. I can understand that as clearly members will be enthusiastic and defensive of their purchase. But it’s also a shame, as I do feel there is a lot of synergy, after all it’s the VW Van that really attracts me, such a great vehicle.

As I’ve said already, we are so lucky to have such a choice, even in the California with all the options and aftermarket accessories.

Anyway, what is really important is that you get out and use it, and that’s my plan for this year. Thanks for your input.
Totally agree, Westfalia are on top of their game, except in one area. If buying a brand new, first registration, vehicle then they do not offer a complete New Vehicle Warranty Package. You are still dealing with 2 companies, one for the Base Vehicle and one for the Habitation Conversion, unlike the VW California and the Mercedes Marco Polo.
Correct that one failing and they could be a force to be reckoned with.

Totally agree, Westfalia are on top of their game, except in one area. If buying a brand new, first registration, vehicle then they do not offer a complete New Vehicle Warranty Package. You are still dealing with 2 companies, one for the Base Vehicle and one for the Habitation Conversion, unlike the VW California and the Mercedes Marco Polo.
Correct that one failing and they could be a force to be reckoned with.
I´ll bet you 100 quid to a bunch of Daffodils that
nothing will go wrong with the Habitation Conversion. :)

If that’s the case why do they insist on an Annual Habitation Check.

If that’s the case why do they insist on an Annual Habitation Check.
I think that could be a belt and braces job, as they are a German company. I may be wrong of course.
But don't they have to have a habitation check every year in Germany as part of MoT?

Westfalia are owned by the French Rapido group although they still have a base in Germany but some models are built elsewhere. That is the modern way and it is difficult to know who owns who.
Nice vans and as they say, as long as you own any camper that is all that matters.

With my van history I'd like to be the first to support this statement, but the Marco Polo's (built by Westfalia) have blistering and cracking roofs (already) and that's a pure Westy part.

I really liked the Dirty Weekender van too.
947dd2b040cb029ce18af45a7b57e23f.jpg
cf071dde50265a22be089944562ddee0.jpg
4c997821c60e82e0ae55c9db40d96386.jpg

There were some really nice conversions but I think the thing that most of them are missing is the sliding bench seat.

Enjoyed looking around the Grand California, too big for me though. Also, I think the front looks quite odd. It reminds me of something, can't quite put my finger on it!
0abb5327aebf0f374abff11185837fdb.jpg
f94e2fffa3c04f81b87823a8cfbc9464.jpg
It reminds your of a smurph!

With my van history I'd like to be the first to support this statement, but the Marco Polo's (built by Westfalia) have blistering and cracking roofs (already) and that's a pure Westy part.
And now Corrosion of the bed frame and supports together with upper bed mattresses that are giving off fumes which are the subject of a Recall.

And now Corrosion of the bed frame and supports together with upper bed mattresses that are giving off fumes which are the subject of a Recall.

and the downstairs bed is an absolute pain with many now selecting to use the "reset" button hidden away in the back somewhere rather than use the conventional switch.

Well the decision was made finally. After looking at the Westfalia, I had a bad experience with the dealer. Just as we left them, took a call from VW SMG Tonbridge to say they had a 2016 Cali coming in that seemed to tick all the boxes I.e. GPS, Tow Hitch, LED Lights and Reversing Caméra. We are now the proud owners of a 204DSG with many other toys fitted to it, the best being Air Suspension. It is fantastic to turn up on site and press a button for self leveling. Very pleased with Layla. Thanks everyone for your advice and input.

Hey, I thought that VW had a monopoly on roof problems?
Seems not?

Back