Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali with a side lift for wheelchair

Cemswood

Cemswood

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi,
Ive posted a couple of times with queries but haven't introduced myself properly. I have a T5 Cali, it's a month old now and I have a lift fitted to the side for my electric all terrain wheelchair. The chair reverses in and just fits inside when I'm travelling and then goes outside under a cover when I'm parked up. It was a long journey planning it and then having it fitted and I've used it properly this week for the first time. It's mainly for festivals in that combo and the Cali is my everyday vehicle also. It was such a nightmare planning and getting it sorted, I wanted to put a thread on in case anyone else was searching and were interested in it.

So now a properly " Welcome" from my side ...:D
Reading in you other post you need a wheelchair , make me think how lucky some of us are ....not at all saying you aren't ....;)
Hope you enjoy the Cali .
Thought there was a member with a child also in a wheelchair here on the forum , do not know for sure...
Don't mind me asking but are you yourself able to drive the Cali? If you find the Q to personal , my excusses , just wondering , feel free to answer.
It will take up a lot of space ...
Love to see some pictures of the lifting system!
How much weight is added due the system?

Hi,
Ive posted a couple of times with queries but haven't introduced myself properly. I have a T5 Cali, it's a month old now and I have a lift fitted to the side for my electric all terrain wheelchair. The chair reverses in and just fits inside when I'm travelling and then goes outside under a cover when I'm parked up. It was a long journey planning it and then having it fitted and I've used it properly this week for the first time. It's mainly for festivals in that combo and the Cali is my everyday vehicle also. It was such a nightmare planning and getting it sorted, I wanted to put a thread on in case anyone else was searching and were interested in it.
Hi Cemswood and welcome to the forum,

I have seen a couple of T5 transporters with wheel chair lifts fitted to the rear door and I guess this is where the majority of wheel chair lifts go which is obviously not going to be suitable in a Cali. How difficult was it to find a company who could do the lift on a side door?

So now a properly " Welcome" from my side ...:D Reading in you other post you need a wheelchair , make me think how lucky some of us are ....not at all saying you aren't ....;) Hope you enjoy the Cali . Thought there was a member with a child also in a wheelchair here on the forum , do not know for sure... Don't mind me asking but are you yourself able to drive the Cali? If you find the Q to personal , my excusses , just wondering , feel free to answer. It will take up a lot of space ... Love to see some pictures of the lifting system! How much weight is added due the system?

Welcome to the club :thumb

Hello Cemswood,
A warm welcome to you. I hope you are enjoying your Cali and have many adventures planned. They are superb vehicles as I am sure you already know. The sense of freedom they give is very special.

Does your wheelchair lift fit under the vehicle or inside the side door? I have noticed both types fitted to VW vehicles in the past.

Best wishes and happy adventures
Paul

Hello Cemswood, A warm welcome to you. I hope you are enjoying your Cali and have many adventures planned. They are superb vehicles as I am sure you already know. The sense of freedom they give is very special. Does your wheelchair lift fit under the vehicle or inside the side door? I have noticed both types fitted to VW vehicles in the past. Best wishes and happy adventures Paul

Hi, it took months to plan it all, and it held up me picking up the Cali from September last year to January 2016. There is only one company in Europe that makes them apparently. They delayed it, and it went on for months. The lift sits underneath the vehicle and works really well, I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. The wheelchair then reverses in and just fits in behind the driver and passenger seat, and there's just enough room for the bed extension piece to stay in place, making it easier when I stop. I've just had my first road trip and overall I'm really pleased with it. The only thing I need to try now is the awning, and i'm thinking about getting some sides for it, so that when I'm at a festival the wheelchair can stay dry under there. I don't mind any questions about it all, I don't need to drive from the wheelchair, I can walk short distances, its just longer ones i struggle with, and especially at festivals where there's a lot of walking. The Cali did really well, and doesn't seem to notice the extra weight.

PS thanks for the welcomes and I love this forum!

Hi, it took months to plan it all, and it held up me picking up the Cali from September last year to January 2016. There is only one company in Europe that makes them apparently. They delayed it, and it went on for months. The lift sits underneath the vehicle and works really well, I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. The wheelchair then reverses in and just fits in behind the driver and passenger seat, and there's just enough room for the bed extension piece to stay in place, making it easier when I stop. I've just had my first road trip and overall I'm really pleased with it. The only thing I need to try now is the awning, and i'm thinking about getting some sides for it, so that when I'm at a festival the wheelchair can stay dry under there. I don't mind any questions about it all, I don't need to drive from the wheelchair, I can walk short distances, its just longer ones i struggle with, and especially at festivals where there's a lot of walking. The Cali did really well, and doesn't seem to notice the extra weight.
Your lift sounds quite superb. I image that there was a lot of engineering to design and execute before you could pick it up. Having looked underneath our cali there is an awful lot of gubbins to work around if fitting such a device.

I can recommend the Comfortz awning sides. They can be put put up quickly and provide an excellent shelter.
Good luck and happy adventures.
Paul

Thanks Paul, as its it will be me putting it up mostly I wasn't sure about how easy it would be to do as the video shows someone helping for the last bit? Regarding the lift, it was a complex job, it involved changing the exhaust system and putting a new, smaller, fuel tank on. I will post some pics for those interested, must admit I have never actually looked underneath it myself!! That probably sounds a bit strange to those interested in the tech side of the cali, but one of the reasons I bought a new camper van, and a vw, is that I wanted something that would last, was built well, and would go in for its servicing etc and I would hopefully not have to worry too much about. I like older vehicles and had a T2 for a while but couldn't cope with the stress and the constant pay out!!

Thanks Paul, as its it will be me putting it up mostly I wasn't sure about how easy it would be to do as the video shows someone helping for the last bit? Regarding the lift, it was a complex job, it involved changing the exhaust system and putting a new, smaller, fuel tank on. I will post some pics for those interested, must admit I have never actually looked underneath it myself!! That probably sounds a bit strange to those interested in the tech side of the cali, but one of the reasons I bought a new camper van, and a vw, is that I wanted something that would last, was built well, and would go in for its servicing etc and I would hopefully not have to worry too much about. I like older vehicles and had a T2 for a while but couldn't cope with the stress and the constant pay out!![/QUOTE
If you are able to stand you should be able to manage ok. The ends are a little fiddly but not too dificult
Hello Cemswood,
I wood agree with your reasons for buying a California. They are very well designed, made and put together and make an excellent long term ownership prospect.

If you could take some pictures at some stage I think your conversion would make a very interesting and informative post.

Regarding the Comfortz awning, I have only put ours up once since buying our Cali in October. I found it both simple and easy to put up and it only took a jiffy although I must admit that I did have help on that occasion. It's not that we don't use the awning but it is just that the weather has been so rotten since buying that we haven't managed to create the opportunities to use our Cali much so far. I think your best bet would be to find someone with an awning and ask them if you could try putting it up on your own. If you are attending the Tewksbury meet in April you are welcome to try with ours or alternatively have a chat with Nick from Comfortz who I believe will be there showcasing his excellent products. He is a very nice chap and I am sure he would give you a demonstration.

This Is interesting for me... we are hoping to buy a wheelchair accessible Cali to take our daughter away. What company did you us earlier to fit the lift?

This Is interesting for me... we are hoping to buy a wheelchair accessible Cali to take our daughter away. What company did you us earlier to fit the lift?
Hi, I live in the north east so used a company called Vic Youngs at South Shields. There was a firm at Liverpool also that did them, I went to look at their vehicles as they do the whole conversion from a VW transporter also, as well as the lift alone. I can try and find the name if that would be closer to you. Claire

Back