Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calicave from Calicap.de

GordonH

GordonH

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
FEB0436E-A791-400E-902B-D6415062A65E.jpeg 145EEB3C-5309-462C-B08E-2B44B7A61E05.jpeg Just bought one of the Calicaves from calicap.de.

Seems a nicely made bit of kit other that a total lack of instructions on how to fit it.

Accept its hardly rocket science but a few pointers would have been helpful. Did a dry run today to see how it all went up and looks pretty good. You end up with the full footprint of the awning as a cosy room and it all fits into the space in the chairs in the tailgate, so very compact.

Pics attached below.

I do have a question... does anyone know what these black hoops are for?

View attachment 37971 View attachment 37972 Just bought one of the Calicaves from calicap.de.

Seems a nicely made bit of kit other that a total lack of instructions on how to fit it.

Accept its hardly rocket science but a few pointers would have been helpful. Did a dry run today to see how it all went up and looks pretty good. You end up with the full footprint of the awning as a cosy room and it all fits into the space in the chairs in the tailgate, so very compact.

Pics attached below.

I do have a question... does anyone know what these black hoops are for?
Can I ask how you paid for it? Buying things from German companies seems to be rather more difficult than here in the UK. I also had a problem buying Van Essa window bags recently from a different German company. I ended up doing a bank transfer for them.

I want to buy one of Calicap's slide out boot trays for our Beach however their payment instructions aren't that clear. Their site states they accept Master Card however the intructions talk about needing a bank transfer. I have to admit that after nearly an hour on Google translate I didn't get past the tick box where it asked to confirm my agreement to their Ts and Cs so I haven't seen the payment page yet. I want to pay with a preloaded Master Card that has sufficient Euros on it to pay for the item. Failing that I could use my Master Card credit card. I don't really want to do another bank transfer.

P.s I like your van and awning combo.

Last edited:
Can I ask how you paid for it? Buying things from German companies seems to be rather more difficult than here in the UK. I also had a problem buying Van Essa window bags recently from a different German company. I ended up doing a bank transfer for them.
Borris I used pay pal with no issues

my concern wouldn't be paying for it. contacting them if i had a problem would be my worry

i was thinking more if you had a problem with the item

No issues with buying or delivery. Used Paypal. Bought the pull out drawer from them as well, nice bit of kit!

The drawer was EUR 653 inc UK delivery, the CaliCave with all the Triutlils & windows in front and side was EUR997 inc delivery, not cheap but both very well made.

BTW - a tip on using web sites that need translation - use the Google Chrome browser which has an iPhone/iPad version as well as PC. Go to the site as normal, it will notice the page is in German (or French or whatever) and ask if you want it translated, tell it to always translate to English. Then whenever you visit a web page with Chrome it just automatically tranlates all the pages so you can browse as normal.

Still dont know what the little S shape clip was for!

Borris I used pay pal with no issues
Thanks,
It will probably end up being PayPal with us too. It just seems a shame that we have a preloaded Master Card that we use for foriegn holidays that has more than enough Euros on it to pay for this item.

If the card behaves just like a CC, then is there no way to add it you Paypal account and us it as the source of the funds paypal takes?

Thanks,
It will probably end up being PayPal with us too. It just seems a shame that we have a preloaded Master Card that we use for foriegn holidays that has more than enough Euros on it to pay for this item.

my concern wouldn't be paying for it. contacting them if i had a problem would be my worry
Yes, that does concern me as well. It doesn't help that their web site doesn't have an English language option. I have used Google Translate which is very good but any problems could be more tricky to resolve.

No issues with buying or delivery. Used Paypal. Bought the pull out drawer from them as well, nice bit of kit!

The drawer was EUR 653 inc UK delivery, the CaliCave with all the Triutlils & windows in front and side was EUR997 inc delivery, not cheap but both very well made.

BTW - a tip on using web sites that need translation - use the Google Chrome browser which has an iPhone/iPad version as well as PC. Go to the site as normal, it will notice the page is in German (or French or whatever) and ask if you want it translated, tell it to always translate to English. Then whenever you visit a web page with Chrome it just automatically tranlates all the pages so you can browse as normal.

Still dont know what the little S shape clip was for!
Thanks that's very helpful indeed.

If the card behaves just like a CC, then is there no way to add it you Paypal account and us it as the source of the funds paypal takes?
Good point, I will look into it.

This isn't really a major issue, I'm just frustrated at not being able to complete this purchase without messing about moving cash around when I already have Euros on my card.

What's the difference between the Calicave and the Comfortz one as such a big price difference

Thanks,

On bigger amounts, PayPal is much more cost heavy than Bank Transfers on fees. Just so you know ;-)

Same sort of thing as far as I could tell, but I dont have the Comfortz so cant really comment with any authority.

When I was researching as far I as could tell the starting price is similar - Comfortz GBP 400, CaliCave EUR 459

Difference appears once you make your mind up and start ticking boxes. The CaliCave can be specc’d with triangluar pieces on the front corners (which I did) that make a big difference to the internal foot print as the sides slope outwards and you essentailly get the entire 2 x 2.5 foot print of the awning. You can also spec windows with blinds, doors etc whereever you choose, which I also did. Every time you tick a new box you get a new price, then add UK delivery and ... gulp.... a different number than you started with!

Bit like buying a Cali !!

I had bought the boot drawer from calicap.de and been very impressed with product & service so stuck with them.

... and a quick heads up on using PayPal.

Thier exchange rates are awful so make sure you opt to pay in local currency (EUR etc) and let your CC company/bank do the conversion, although plainly check your CC company/bank gives you a better rate. You can generally select during the PayPal checkout process if you want to line thier pockets or use the exchange rate offered by whoever you use to settle your Paypal account (CC/Bank etc)

Quick reply to Borris - Paypal don't charge fees to buyers, only sellers. You may be referring to the exchange rate differences and per my previous post you can avoid their extortionate rates by simply opting to pay in the local currency and let your bank or CC company do the exchange which will almost certainly be better than PayPals.

Good point, I will look into it.

This isn't really a major issue, I'm just frustrated at not being able to complete this purchase without messing about moving cash around when I already have Euros on my card.
You could give him a ring Borris, he speaks good english.
You might be able to order over the phone.

Thanks,

Borris if you attach your MasterCard to your PayPal account, you can use the MasterCard to pay for the goods, all you have to do is go onto your PayPal go to your account and add another card in this case your MasterCard it will then transfer one euro or 1 pound to your bank account when that is completed your card then can be used to pay for the goods this is what I did and it cuts down on any fees especially if you nominate your MasterCard which is already in euros.

Last edited:
You could give him a ring Borris, he speaks good english.
You might be able to order over the phone.
Thanks, I think I'll do that first.
Borris if you attach your MasterCard to your PayPal account, you can use the MasterCard to pay for the goods, all you have to do is go onto your PayPal go to your account and add another card in this case your MasterCard it will then transfer one euro or 1 pound to your bank account when that is completed your card then can be used to pay for the goods this is what I did and it cuts down on any fees especially if you nominate your MasterCard which is already in euros.
Thanks.
That's fantastic. We'll give it a go straight away and I'll let you know if it works. :thumb

Unfortunately, having linked our prepaid Master Card to my wifes Paypal account it's now all gone tits up. :(

To explain, would be far too boring, take too long and take us even further off thread, so I won't. After two and a half hours of wasted time the item is still not paid for and Calicap.de are not answering their telephone. I'm now losing the will to live.

All I want to do is to pay for something. How difficult does it need to be!

The moral of this story is if you have a prepaid Master Card with Euros on it do not use it for for buying items abroad via Pay Pal.

Unfortunately, having linked our prepaid Master Card to my wifes Paypal account it's now all gone tits up. :(

Hi Borris
Sorry to hear that what has happened, is the card showing on the PayPal account.

Last edited:

Hi Borris
Sorry to hear that what has happened, is the card showing on the PayPal account.
Yes it registered alright although we have since removed it. Since you've asked I think and I say I think because we've been given conflicting and confusing answers by both PayPal and Master Card, that our Euros on the preloaded Master Card were changed back into PayPal's default currency, Sterling and then back to Euros to make the payment. Unless I'm mistaken we were charged for two exchange rate changes. The resultant fees together with the item cost exceeded the amount available on the card. Oddly Both PayPal and Mastercard say it's the other organisation's fees that have caused the payment to fail. Despite now stating that there are sufficient funds on this card, PayPal say that they cannot authorise the payment manually after a payment has been declined. So lesson learned, steer clear of PayPal! I shall now arrange a bank transfer instead and keep that card for holidays.
Thanks

Last edited:
Hello all, i ordered already a lot of items via Calicap.de Always great service, perfect quality, good shipment and also perfect services afterwards if needed !
I can higly recommend this company. regards, frank, the netherlands