Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California 6.1 - Side Protection & Park Assist

npower

npower

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi! We ordered a new 6.1 Ocean recently, got a couple of options, including the active lane assist.

We've noticed on the web page that there's something called 'Side Protection', but I can only see that under the Trailer Assist package? (Which we haven't added as we'll never have a trailer!). Not the end of the world but was just curious if its included in something else?

Another question while I'm here, has anyone used the park assist that's included as standard? Is it any good?

Hi! We ordered a new 6.1 Ocean recently, got a couple of options, including the active lane assist.

We've noticed on the web page that there's something called 'Side Protection', but I can only see that under the Trailer Assist package? (Which we haven't added as we'll never have a trailer!). Not the end of the world but was just curious if its included in something else?

Another question while I'm here, has anyone used the park assist that's included as standard? Is it any good?
Hi we have park assist on an Audi, used it once when we first got it then forgot about it since.

Standard lane assist just gives you a judder on the steering wheel If you go near the white line. Active lane assist with side protection is the extra and actively steers back to the centre line and there is a orange light on the side mirrors if anyone is down the side of the van. We have park assist in the 6.1 and use it all the time as park on a London street and very nicely parks you in a tight spot.

T5 and T5.1 have side protection too.
Those plastic trims on the doors to protect the side from door openings on parkings.
They already came in handy on mine. You just need to take a touch up pencil to get the black marking back in the vehicle color.
IMGP5544.jpg
Oh, it's not that what you mean?

T5 and T5.1 have side protection too.
Those plastic trims on the doors to protect the side from door openings on parkings.
They already came in handy on mine. You just need to take a touch up pencil to get the black marking back in the vehicle color.
View attachment 56249
Oh, it's not that what you mean?
I don’t know why they got rid of those side trims on the T6 and now the T6.1. Extremely useful.

Side protection gives you a warning if you're about to scrape the side of your van. Think parking sensors, but on the sides.....

1584313454127.png

I use the active lane assist all the time- on the t6 you get a flashing light but onthe t6.1 you should also have some steering wheel feedback. The side mirrors are really good but when you do a lot of driving every little safety feature helps :thumb that’s the option you want imho.

I don’t know why they got rid of those side trims on the T6 and now the T6.1. Extremely useful.
You can still order them and put on the T6 and 6.1. The vans still have the same body.

Of course you order them for a T5, as they will not show on a T6.

Side protection gives you a warning if you're about to scrape the side of your van. Think parking sensors, but on the sides.....

View attachment 56250
Do you remember where these videos were? Looks like the VW website, but I cant find them.

Standard lane assist just gives you a judder on the steering wheel If you go near the white line. Active lane assist with side protection is the extra and actively steers back to the centre line and there is a orange light on the side mirrors if anyone is down the side of the van. We have park assist in the 6.1 and use it all the time as park on a London street and very nicely parks you in a tight spot.
Do you know if park assist will only parallel park you into a longitudinal space? I assume it will also reverse you into a space that is 'end-on' if that makes sense?