Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side Assist not available

SimonB

SimonB

Staff member
Top Poster
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
This warning appeared on my MFD just before I drove home from Snowdonia on Sunday. I think it said something like this, but with VW rather than Audi. Also a picture of two mirrors with radio waves passing between them.
upload_2019-2-20_11-11-42.pngupload_2019-2-20_11-39-40.png
It reappeared over the course of the journey on a few occasions. When I got home I checked the Forum for similar threads and there was one from a few years ago which had big figures for repairs.

I checked the MFD and the Side Assist box was not selected any more, I hadn't deselected it. I rechecked the box and also checked the other settings on the next screen, active, brightness, etc.

I checked other forums and found this https://www.audizine.com/forum/show...t-Not-available-Anyone-else-have-this-problem Reading through it the problem seemed very much like I had. The implication was that it was caused by dirt on the vehicle which caused the sensor to be unable to operate. Washing the Cali should cure it as it was covered in salt from the 170 mile journey to Snowdonia & back. Testing it has to be done whilst driving above 20mph.
Mine is now working again, I'm posting this in case anyone else has a similar problem and this is an easy fix. There do seem to be a lot more possible reasons for it failing, usually costly.

Simon

I also had the same Side Assist warning come up on my MFD whilst driving on a motorway and I also noticed the passenger n/s side assist indicator lamp wasn't flashing when I pressed the Side Assist button on the dash but the driver's side lamp was ok. Once home I remembered that a few weeks ago a white van man had come too close and clipped my n/s mirror causing the mirror cap to come flying off and left it dangling on some wiring, I pulled over and luckily the mirror cap just clipped back in place and everything worked OK. As this was the mirror the Side Assist lamp wasn't working on I removed the heated glass and the mirror cap, see YouTube videos below, and inspected the Side Assist lamp. All looked good on the Side Assist wiring connector but I removed the connector anyway and push it back in with a reassuring click then I switch on the van and pressed the Side Assist button and no more error so just a loose connection, hurray!
While the mirror cap was off I glued back a few broken clips from the mirror hit, cleaned out all the spider webs, refitted then rechecked and everything was now working fine.
Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem :)

Last edited:
This warning appeared on my MFD just before I drove home from Snowdonia on Sunday. I think it said something like this, but with VW rather than Audi. Also a picture of two mirrors with radio waves passing between them.
View attachment 41587View attachment 41588
It reappeared over the course of the journey on a few occasions. When I got home I checked the Forum for similar threads and there was one from a few years ago which had big figures for repairs.

I checked the MFD and the Side Assist box was not selected any more, I hadn't deselected it. I rechecked the box and also checked the other settings on the next screen, active, brightness, etc.

I checked other forums and found this https://www.audizine.com/forum/show...t-Not-available-Anyone-else-have-this-problem Reading through it the problem seemed very much like I had. The implication was that it was caused by dirt on the vehicle which caused the sensor to be unable to operate. Washing the Cali should cure it as it was covered in salt from the 170 mile journey to Snowdonia & back. Testing it has to be done whilst driving above 20mph.
Mine is now working again, I'm posting this in case anyone else has a similar problem and this is an easy fix. There do seem to be a lot more possible reasons for it failing, usually costly.

Simon
Simon, those images are supposed to be two vehicles and not mirrors! So much so for the graphics guy working with VW interface design!

As we all know VW software is pants and we all live in hope that it improves. (it has gotten better btw, albeit very slowly)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Started the van today and got a warning that Traffic Sign recognition was unavailable. Also, Side Assist was not functioning. Rebooted the van with no success. However, after a couple of hours at my allotment when I started the van all was back to normal.
Just posting for others reference.

Started the van today and got a warning that Traffic Sign recognition was unavailable. Also, Side Assist was not functioning. Rebooted the van with no success. However, after a couple of hours at my allotment when I started the van all was back to normal.
Just posting for others reference.
I get that quite a lot with my car. Seems to be on cooler mornings and condensation forms blocking the camera.

I get that quite a lot with my car. Seems to be on cooler mornings and condensation forms blocking the camera.
Thanks @scottk
I checked the camera and it was clear. I think this is just one of those VW electronic glitches that occur from time to time on start up? Bit like the SOS button - that usually clears itself after a restart. Just have to keep fingers crossed that systems don’t get knocked out permanently, especially with worldwide semiconductor shortages. I’d imagine replacement of any electronic systems or parts could take a very long time at the moment?!

When I first got the car (Audi) it was far more frequent but they did a software update which helped. Too many electronics in these cars now!

Only just got Bertie back from the garage from same issue that the side assist was "unavailable". The garage said in my case one of the wires had broken and needing replacement. I didn't ask anymore as it was all done under warranty.

Back