Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Alarm System

John

John

VIP Member
Original post brother10

Is the Cali alarm system considered to be a Thatcham Category One Alarm System?

I seem to think it is and just want my insurance people to know that it is.

Bob

Original post paulro

My Insurance wants the same and don't seem to accept my explanation and want paper proof. What's the best way to deal with this?

Original post Calikev

Great information guest many thanks. Report to Mod - Link to Post - Back to

Original post guest

Also ask your insurance to confirm if they cover for loss if left unattended with the roof elevated?

Original post brother10

Thanks for the information. I went to Comfort based on the good reports on this site, so was a little mystified that it appears they know very little about the the California. The person concerned seemed to think that the reduction in premium of 5% was insignificant - I do. In the latest brochure for the van, under Safety and Security, it states:-

"Anti-theft protection: alarm with interior and tow-away protection, deactivation switch for both functions on `B` pillar, breaksafe steering wheel lock, electronic immobiliser, locking wheel bolts."

For me with parking sensors front and rear, I would consider myself fairly comfortable regarding theft and accidental damage and a good insurance risk.

The reason for the initial posting was on checkiing my documents was that against their heading,`Has one of our approved Motorhome security devices been fitted to the Motorhome?, they had inserted NO and this is why I queried it with them. I shall be speaking to them again today.

Original post guest

If you are going to comfort try getting a quote on the Motor Home Facts site. It is run by the same people as Comfort and usually works out cheaper. Same policy and underwritten by Aviva. Not sure how their net-rated price works on renewal if you have claim

For Info;
Comfort's web quote system would not quote me unless I specified that my Cali has a Cat 1 alarm on it (as they all do now).

If you put Manufacturers std fit it tells you to phone for a quote

Hi everyone

I have been chasing up the Thatcham category status for my insurance renewal and Ican confirm that Californias do have a Thatcham Category 1 status. I have reproduced here an edited entry I placed on the Comfort Insurance thread.

I rang VW customer service and a member of staff called Lloyd pointed me to the Thatcham website.

I went to the Thatcham website and found this link which shows the group rating as T1

http://www.thatcham.org

Click on group rating, then when that page is showing, go to the right of the screen and select manufacturer and type in model and year, complete the security question at the bottom and then it will list your model confirming the category status.

Apologies for the long winded route above but this covers all Californias back to 2005 and the new Beach models.

I have also rung Thatcham and they confirm this and quote a reference number of TC2/1208/0301.

I hope this helps anyone else who is having problems getting insurance cover