Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Beach checklist

It's something extra that I hadn't expected. My Dad always said 'you don't get owt for nowt' we'll maybe you do! :cool
Is the bin really that bad?

The little hook on the left side of the transmission tunnel (yes I know it is front wheel drive) is for attaching a polybag to be filled during journeys and thrown away when full or convenient.

The footwell is big enough to take all the rubbish (handbags, food etc) that the wife takes with her as well as a rubbish bag :lol: . The bin may be great for those who have a gadget/accessory for everything, but I won't chase the dealer for one as it takes up space in the door where I can keep my own stuff - camera, lenses, sun glasses etc :thumb

Andy

Barefoot62 said:
It's something extra that I hadn't expected. My Dad always said 'you don't get owt for nowt' we'll maybe you do! :cool
Is the bin really that bad?

It's good for in car rubbish - which I think someone here has already said

James

In my experience (< 1 month ownership) and discussion on here, look for the bendy light, fly screens and bin on top of the the list. Use the the full Cali list on here with some commonsense and use it to stimulate discussion with dealer if in doubt. Buy a long spare wheel locking bolt and fix it straightaway. I followed a Caravelle today without a spare wheel!

Andy

can we maybe have an updated separate Beach checklist posted in the downloads section with some of these additional points included? I'm sure I'll never find this post again when it comes to January and I'm picking mine up!

Great idea. Saves someone asking for the roof tie-down straps like me :oops:

Can we ask ask VW to produce a standard list?? Not everyone seems to have got the window flyscreen and we still have some debate over the bendy light and bin. Until we know what is on the 'official VW basic list' difficult to produce our own.

Andy

Goldie said:
Great idea. Saves someone asking for the roof tie-down straps like me :oops:

Can we ask ask VW to produce a standard list?? Not everyone seems to have got the window flyscreen and we still have some debate over the bendy light and bin. Until we know what is on the 'official VW basic list' difficult to produce our own.

Andy

Window Flyscreen????

Following from this thread I asked my dealer for a copy of the SE checklist as we have one on order and are going to the motorhome show this weekend and would not want to pick up something already supplied. However he, after checking with the person in charge of Cali imports riled that there was no such thing. The SE checklist in the downloads section does not seem to be dated and, for example I'm not sure the child safety net is supplied as standard, therefor I'm not so sure it's current. I'm presuming the checklist comes with each vehicle and that the vest source might be a recent buyer who can scan whatever came with their vehicle.

Andy

Sent from an iPad using Tapatalk

When I picked my Beach there wasn't a checklist to be seen anywhere in the vehicle. I was only originally asking members of this forum for their input and experience of what I should check for. I certainly don't know of any official VW California Beach checklist. All I know is I got a fly screen,front curtains,a winding handle for the awning and front carpet mats I didn't get the flexi light or the bin, but they are being forwarded to me :!:

Barefoot62 said:
All I know is I got a fly screen,front curtains,a winding handle for the awning and front carpet mats I didn't get the flexi light or the bin, but they are being forwarded to me :!:

Where does the fly screen fit??

It sits in the opening rear window behind the passenger and keeps the mosquitos out - not so good with the midge though :cry:

If you have an opening window in the door you will need two. It has a couple of tabs on it and you wedge it into the opening - it will take a bit of practice to get it right first time. It is good to get ventilation into the van whilst keep undesirables out.

Andy

Thanks Andy will have a look out for it in Jan when we collect hopefully..... :D

by Andy80F » Yesterday, 10:29

Following from this thread I asked my dealer for a copy of the SE checklist as we have one on order and are going to the motorhome show this weekend and would not want to pick up something already supplied. However he, after checking with the person in charge of Cali imports riled that there was no such thing. The SE checklist in the downloads section does not seem to be dated and, for example I'm not sure the child safety net is supplied as standard, therefor I'm not so sure it's current. I'm presuming the checklist comes with each vehicle and that the vest source might be a recent buyer who can scan whatever came with their vehicle.

Andy

Sent from an iPad using Tapatalk

Andy, The child safety net is a must on Health and Safety grounds and whether you need or not I would insist on one being supplied. It is then down to you whether you need or use it. If you sell the Beach in the future, a sensible owner will have joined the club and be looking for one ;)

I was given a 5 page PDF printout of my build, but it's not great as a checklist for delivery as lots of things are a negative, e.g. AE0 Without camping stove, EU0 without socket, front. Of note I have a 16" chassis (2E3) and 17" wheels (C2M) :crazy . It does not include the safety net, fly screens etc which may be added later in the build process.

It would be good to produce our own list as dealers would be in a difficult position if we insist that others have been supplied with bendy lights, nets etc. Given what we are paying it would not cost them much to keep us happy. :D

Andy

So from my memory when I ordered it was confirmed to me that the beach would come with the safety net, bin and light. It did not come with fly screens these I believe were SE standard equipment only. I don't have a formal list ... also something in my memory also makes me think the bin was something to do do with going for the three seat bench - but could be wrong on that one!

Steve.

Steve,

Just checked Jan 2012 brochure. The waste bin is a £20 extra for the cab door, not compatible with the three seat bench. I also think there is a bin that fits in the driver's door.

Looks like I got the fly screens because I used the Cali checklist and insisted on the flyscreen :oops: If you buy an SE in NI, check you have two fly screens as there may be one missing :laugh2

I don't feel that guilty as I'm minus bendy light and door bin.

Andy

Goldie said:
Steve,

Just checked Jan 2012 brochure. The waste bin is a £20 extra for the cab door, not compatible with the three seat bench. I also think there is a bin that fits in the driver's door.

Looks like I got the fly screens because I used the Cali checklist and insisted on the flyscreen :oops: If you buy an SE in NI, check you have two fly screens as there may be one missing :laugh2

I don't feel that guilty as I'm minus bendy light and door bin.

Andy

I've got a waste bin with the three seats - it's a VW one but really - I wouldn't get excited about it.

I am not sure about a Beach Checklist - I've only just realised I've got a toolkit lol.

James

Quick question - I picked up me new Cali yesterday and as it's in NZ we don't get the FAK or triangle. It was also missing the remote for the night heater which I was sure was a standard thing (and v useful as we will need it in the future) vw nz are checking but does anyone know if this is standard ?

Van is brilliant, nice base spec here anyway and barring a silver awning when I ordered black and a on functioning hookup (tested at home but nothing showing) it's beautiful. They had to sort the towbar prep which was wrong and suspect that they used the hookup connector hole as access.

Ma77sc said:
Make sure you also get the blinds for the front windows quote]

Hi, How many curtains with the magnetic inserts should we have ?
I noticed that our Beach did not get curtains for the windscreen and rear window.
Is this an oversight from the dealer or are they not supplied ?

Many Thanks Zico

zico said:
Ma77sc said:

I noticed that our Beach did not get curtains for the windscreen and rear window.

Many Thanks Zico

There is a built in retractable blind for the rear (tailgate) window. The catches for releasing it can be quite stiff and it looks like a bit of interior trim so maybe youve missed it?
For the windscreen I got supplied a fabric blind that uses pockets around the sun visors to hold the top edge. The bottom edge has a thick hem that jams into the gap between the dashboard and windscreen. (no magnetic inserts on this).
Hope this helps

owen_h said:
zico said:
Ma77sc said:

Many Thanks Zico

There is a built in retractable blind for the rear (tailgate) window. The catches for releasing it can be quite stiff and it looks like a bit of interior trim so maybe youve missed it?
For the windscreen I got supplied a fabric blind that uses pockets around the sun visors to hold the top edge. The bottom edge has a thick hem that jams into the gap between the dashboard and windscreen. (no magnetic inserts on this).
Hope this helps

Owen, Thanks for the swift reply, it seems we did miss the rear blind. :crazy but did not receive the front fabric blind. Think I will drop a quick email to the dealer . Thanks again.

I'm pretty sure that new Beaches have magnetic curtains for the front windscreen as well as the front side windows…i remember when I had a test drive the dealer pulled them all out of the glove pocket and showed me how they worked..so I'm pretty sure there were at least 3 blinds

Any chance someone could list everything the Beach should have on handover please so as we can compile a PDF check list for new owners.

:thanks

I can only advise what was shown and discussed with me. 2015 Beach 3 seat bench.

Items
Locking Wheel Nut (ashtray)
Jack (rear left compartment)
LED Flex light for pop top (quite common for these to get nicked apparently)
Magnetic Front blinds/curtains, in the 3 seat beach they are under the seat in one of the 3 drawers (check all 3 are there).
Multiflex board and cushions
Small removable Bin in drivers door
Net for poptop.
Mains converter for hookup (but no actual hookup cable?)
Table in door, check clips for fitting inside are complete.
Chairs in rear boot lid, check they are working and the clips are undamaged.
Bottle of oil (made me worry it was going to eat oil but so far its fine).
Spare wheel (depending on your wheels?) get a sparesafe for it asap! Especially if going to legoland.

Key Procedures/Questions:
Raising and lowering the roof (front windows open and sliding door open)
Turning front seats (get this wrong and you can scratch your trim)
Alarm internal sensor disable process
Moving the rear seat and turning it into a bed (lots of trial and error) recommend to mark the location on the rail with a dot or tape to save wasted time later on.
Check the blinds are all good, some of them don't stay down very well.
Get them to show you where the EHU trip switch is, its a pain to find if you need it.

Steve,

Andy

It is compatible with the 3 seat beach in 2015, I have one :) Didnt realise it was an extra.