Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Beach Pop-Roof Issue

jamesC

jamesC

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi,

I have a small, but concerning issue with my non-electric pop-roof, The vehicle is absolutely brand new and I noticed this the first time I ever had cause to put the roof down.

On the Beach there is a small fork shaped metal collector plate mounted on the fixed part of the roof around two thirds of the way back which as the roof closes meets with a small bracket mounted on the pop part of the roof.

The alignment of these two parts is slightly out on my near side and this stops me from closing the roof (the hinged clasp inside the vehicle does not meet up correctly). Upon investigation I realised this and now just give the roof a slight pull to the right from inside as I lower it, and it closes, all is fine.

I have also noticed even when correctly located the fit of the internal clasp is not quite as precise and aligned on the near side clasp as it is on the off side.

My question to others is, do I complain and get this sorted under warranty... which I would rather avoid because in my mind this involves a mechanic trying to bend a piece of my Cali to fix the problem, or live with the problem??

Do any other Beach or SE owners have any similar problems??

Any advice before I call my dealer would be appreciated.

Thanks

That's interesting. Could you put up some pictures?

I've not had a problem with my roof. When it lowers I need to hover it a final tug and it kind of drops into place.

I will look at the bits you mentioned

James

Hi,

Please see some images of both the internal clasps, notice the alignment of the nearside clasp compared to the offside, and the obviously bad alignment of the external collector mechanism.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

James

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

redredzimmer said:
Hi,

Please see some images of both the internal clasps, notice the alignment of the nearside clasp compared to the offside, and the obviously bad alignment of the external collector mechanism.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

James

Hi James

I see what you mean. My thoughts are that if it is bent slightly then this has happened when the roof has been closed. I know the full Cali roofs are checked at the factory and I would presume it is the same for the Beach

Is there a mattress topper up top? Mine was quite stiff when it was new and needed a bit of force to close it. Actually on two occasions we drove off without the roof fully in place. I wonder if previously it has been pulled down and inadvertently bent. From new I could see this happening. I will take some pics of my roof and we can compare.

James

The location collector hasp .. Do you have a photo if the other side ???
Is it fitting as the roof drops opposite to this one that you show ..??? This side you show looks straight and not bent ,so could mean the hinges are bent or in the wrong position if the the other side hasp is ok ...

It's tricky to take a picture the other side as the awning is in the way, but it lines up well from what I can see.

I have nothing in the roof other than the mattress, and actually this is an alignment issue with the fittings outside the vehicle rather than any internal obstruction.

I have no doubt that some small adjustment will rectify the issue, but I am undecided about whether to let VW do this, or just live with it. Its one of those things that once you know, you can deal with very easily.

The tolerance on the roof is very tight, and it only has to move a few millimetres to snag in either direction.

I just wondered if anybody else had experienced the same thing.

redredzimmer said:
It's tricky to take a picture the other side as the awning is in the way, but it lines up well from what I can see.

I have nothing in the roof other than the mattress, and actually this is an alignment issue with the fittings outside the vehicle rather than any internal obstruction.

I have no doubt that some small adjustment will rectify the issue, but I am undecided about whether to let VW do this, or just live with it. Its one of those things that once you know, you can deal with very easily.

The tolerance on the roof is very tight, and it only has to move a few millimetres to snag in either direction.

Hi James

I've had a look at mine and I understand more what you mean. It could have happened in any number of ways and as you say, it's a small thing, I'd still get it sorted just for peace of mind and also, you want to be able to close the roof without problem :)

By the way, you have a great spec on your Beach, please feel free to post some more pics :)

I've taken some pics, I won't post them because I am not sure they help, but if you want me to post the pics I will. I've tried to get similar pics to you :)

James

James said:
redredzimmer said:

Hi James

I've had a look at mine and I understand more what you mean. It could have happened in any number of ways and as you say, it's a small thing, I'd still get it sorted just for peace of mind and also, you want to be able to close the roof without problem :)

By the way, you have a great spec on your Beach, please feel free to post some more pics :)

I've taken some pics, I won't post them because I am not sure they help, but if you want me to post the pics I will. I've tried to get similar pics to you :)

James
Thanks James!!... I would post more pictures, but I am waiting for some half decent weather to give her a lovely clean!!... but if there are any things you are particularly interested to see... just let me know!

Regarding the roof... it is a tiny adjustment to make it right, so guess I will talk to my dealer!!

Thanks for taking the time to look at your vehicle!!

redredzimmer said:
James said:
redredzimmer said:

Hi James

James
Thanks James!!... I would post more pictures, but I am waiting for some half decent weather to give her a lovely clean!!... but if there are any things you are particularly interested to see... just let me know!

Regarding the roof... it is a tiny adjustment to make it right, so guess I will talk to my dealer!!

Thanks for taking the time to look at your vehicle!!

Hi James

No prob, just posting my pics.

IMG_0378_zps4f0ba335.jpg

IMG_0379_zps048122dd.jpg

IMG_0380_zpsd72e9722.jpg

IMG_0381_zps5ae874e3.jpg

James

The roof on my Beach does not shut as far on the RHS as the LHS it sits up about 3-5mm higher and its noticeable by the amount of black rubber seal that you can see. So booked in on Friday to rectify.

Something that I'm more concerned about is that there appears to be a very small kink in the edge of the roof on both sides in the vicinity of the 'fork'. I was wondering if this is due to final 'pull shut' distorting the roof as it closes. You can hardly notice it; but I have and its annoying given I've only had the Beach a few days.

Citygate body shop said they have seen it before and told me to take it to the service department who said I should take it to the body shop. :crazy But they will look at it on Friday. (The Cali did not come from them, but they are my local dealer.)

Has anyone else had this issue?

To see the kink you will need to look along the black trim on the roofline at the same height as the roof. I have only had the Beach a few days and been really careful, we have not stored anything up there or trapped anything when lowering the roof.

Andy

Goldie said:
The roof on my Beach does not shut as far on the RHS as the LHS it sits up about 3-5mm higher and its noticeable by the amount of black rubber seal that you can see. So booked in on Friday to rectify.

Something that I'm more concerned about is that there appears to be a very small kink in the edge of the roof on both sides in the vicinity of the 'fork'. I was wondering if this is due to final 'pull shut' distorting the roof as it closes. You can hardly notice it; but I have and its annoying given I've only had the Beach a few days.

Citygate body shop said they have seen it before and told me to take it to the service department who said I should take it to the body shop. :crazy But they will look at it on Friday. (The Cali did not come from them, but they are my local dealer.)

Has anyone else had this issue?

To see the kink you will need to look along the black trim on the roofline at the same height as the roof. I have only had the Beach a few days and been really careful, we have not stored anything up there or trapped anything when lowering the roof.

Andy

Andy

Is the Beach an ex demo?

James

James,

Yes it is with 200 miles on the clock. There is a very small nick in the canvas on both sides on the outside of the rear internal plastic supports which I didn't see until today, although it looks like it is caused by the plastic poking through from the inside.

Most of the demonstrators in the dealers do seem to have small imperfections in the canvas (probably caused by customers), but I haven't seen the small kink in the edge of the roof. Although it is difficult to see, once you know it is there it is annoying.

Goldie said:
James,

Yes it is with 200 miles on the clock. There is a very small nick in the canvas on both sides on the outside of the rear internal plastic supports which I didn't see until today, although it looks like it is caused by the plastic poking through from the inside.

Most of the demonstrators in the dealers do seem to have small imperfections in the canvas (probably caused by customers), but I haven't seen the small kink in the edge of the roof. Although it is difficult to see, once you know it is there it is annoying.

That's probably your answer sadly - I've seen demos before with these sort of problems.

James

With the slight kink in the roof, or nicks in the canvas?? Have you seen both??

I'll be looking to getting it fixed along with the tie down clip that is obviously not in the intended position.

Goldie said:
With the slight kink in the roof, or nicks in the canvas?? Have you seen both??

I'll be looking to getting it fixed along with the tie down clip that is obviously not in the intended position.

I've seen nicks and I think over time the roofs gain a few nicks. I have seen and heard of demos with poor roofs.

I couldn't say for certain what the cause is but It would be my first guess.

James

Had a call from Paul at Citygate this morning and VW have agreed to replace the roof - top marks to both of them :D

Although there are many advantages to the pull down Beach roof, if not set up properly or not lowered correctly it seems to be just as fragile as the full Cali roof. I'm surprised there is not strengthening down the insides to prevent flexing when it goes through that final pull down.

Looks like the roof fix TPI will be applied at the same time. Looking good at the moment and from my point of view justifies my decision to buy a demo, i.e. VW have treated me the same as someone who had ordered direct from factory.

Andy

Goldie said:
Had a call from Paul at Citygate this morning and VW have agreed to replace the roof - top marks to both of them :D

Although there are many advantages to the pull down Beach roof, if not set up properly or not lowered correctly it seems to be just as fragile as the full Cali roof. I'm surprised there is not strengthening down the insides to prevent flexing when it goes through that final pull down.

Looks like the roof fix TPI will be applied at the same time. Looking good at the moment and from my point of view justifies my decision to buy a demo, i.e. VW have treated me the same as someone who had ordered direct from factory.

Andy

Good result by the sounds of things!

My roof had alignment issues, these were dealt with very efficiently by my local dealer and roof reset... no problems since.

To actually bend the roof to the extent that it buckles the roof panel I think would require a good deal of force. I tried pretty hard to close my roof in the pouring rain one morning before spotting the problem, and didn't manage to do what you have seen!

Ultimately if a roof sustains damage in this way, I think it is the responsibility of VW to resolve it, as the cause is clearly bad alignment of the roof.

Had a call from Citygate this morning and my new roof is painted and ready to fit. They also have a new canvas as well so I'll get it booked in to get it all fixed.

Does any know whether this will fix the roof blistering issue as well ? or is that a future problem?

Andy

Goldie said:
Had a call from Citygate this morning and my new roof is painted and ready to fit. They also have a new canvas as well so I'll get it booked in to get it all fixed.

Does any know whether this will fix the roof blistering issue as well ? or is that a future problem?

Andy

Future problem Andy - it is a separate part - you could have them done all together but it's a separate issue.

James

It appears they won't do both even though I asked. I was hoping that they would as I'm heading off to NZ next year and VW NZ don't seem that hot reading NZCol's posts on here. VW UK seem well versed in replacing roofs and canvas'. :headbang

Andy

I collected my Beach last Friday and it has a shiny new roof and bellows - total cost of £3368 if you had to pay for it yourself. Just waiting for the roof blistering issue to appear now :sad

Paul at Citygate Woodburn Green has been excellent and it seems the team there are well versed at replacing roofs.

An added bonus was the 12v socket they put in the dashboard for me. :bananadance Having the cupholder open all the time for satnav / phone charger etc was a pain.

Andy

Back