Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California dilema

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Here is my dilema.

I have a budget of approximately £57,000. I personally want to get a newish Ocean 4 motion with most of the obvious extras. My wife is suggesting getting a used Cali for £20,000 and use the rest on a used Aston Martin DB9.

This I know is a nice problem to have, but what do you (the experts) think of the pleasure of a £20,000 Cali v a new one.

Your comments would be very much appreciated.

Every penny on a cali for me

Can I ask why a DB9? Have you had other Sportscars?

£37k for one is not a lot. I preferred the V8 Vantage personally, manual box and a real NASCAR growl. Plus it is more fuel efficent. But, if you’ve got a dog then the db9 does help a bit.

Can I ask why a DB9? Have you had other Sportscars?

£37k for one is not a lot. I preferred the V8 Vantage personally, manual box and a real NASCAR growl. Plus it is more fuel efficent. But, if you’ve got a dog then the db9 does help a bit.

I had a 911 turbo before (996), amazing car but wife like the look of the DB9

Wondering if she is a reluctant camper and directing towards sports car and b and bs.

Below about £26k you are looking at the most worn and earliest Cali's, sold privately without warranty.

Step up a bit and the choice improves considerably (well should do in Spring when many come to the market). You'll need £30k+ of your budget for a facelift T5 with the Euro 5 engines.

You could go for a Classic T4 Westfalia Cali, or a T3 if you are saving it for high days and holidays, but both are LHD.

Below about £26k you are looking at the most worn and earliest Cali's, sold privately without warranty.

Step up a bit and the choice improves considerably (well should do in Spring when many come to the market). You'll need £30k+ of your budget for a facelift T5 with the Euro 5 engines.

You could go for a Classic T4 Westfalia Cali, or a T3 if you are saving it for high days and holidays, but both are LHD.

Thankyou for taking the time to reply, very kind of you.

I would put all you had on a 1 year old full spec 4motion

So would I.

Aston DB9. Carries two people and not much else. Not good for camping trips. Not good for towing a trailer. Not good for a bike rack. Not good for going to the tip. For the price, likely to be 10+ years old.

£20K California Good for camping trips. Good for towing a trailer. Good for a bike rack. Good for going to the tip. For the price, likely to be 10+ years old. Will lack the latest mod cons. Will have a lot of miles on the clock.

£57K California. Good for camping trips. Good for towing a trailer. Good for a bike rack. Good for going to the tip. For the price, likely to be 1 or 2 years old. Will likely have all the latest mod cons.

Do you want to cruise or camp? Do you want to stay in hotels or campsites? Is Mrs Burns really up for the idea of a camper, or will she stay in the hotel while you camp in the field? Do you like camping? Do you like outdoor activities such as cycling or skiing.

After a busy week in the office, the opportunity to escape - even just for a weekend - with everything we need in a self-contained, small, mobile unit is (for us) perfect. I wouldn't have the time to use a DB9.

Before we bought the Cali, we were concerned that we may not get enough use out of it to justify spending the amount we did We have no such concerns now.

How much will you use the vehicle(s) you end up with?

Spend it all on a Cali or some of it,, a db9 yep it’s awsome but if it goes wrong you’ll need an awsome bank balance to fix it .
Going fast is great but you cannot do it with getting a ticket
Going camping in ur Cali is much more fun.
I have owned quick cars not a db9 but the speed hit soon wears off ...

Wondering if she is a reluctant camper and directing towards sports car and b and bs.

And recently there have been a couple of newish Calis advertised for sale on this site with this reason given.

So would I.

Aston DB9. Carries two people and not much else. Not good for camping trips. Not good for towing a trailer. Not good for a bike rack. Not good for going to the tip. For the price, likely to be 10+ years old.

£20K California Good for camping trips. Good for towing a trailer. Good for a bike rack. Good for going to the tip. For the price, likely to be 10+ years old. Will lack the latest mod cons. Will have a lot of miles on the clock.

£57K California. Good for camping trips. Good for towing a trailer. Good for a bike rack. Good for going to the tip. For the price, likely to be 1 or 2 years old. Will likely have all the latest mod cons.

Do you want to cruise or camp? Do you want to stay in hotels or campsites? Is Mrs Burns really up for the idea of a camper, or will she stay in the hotel while you camp in the field? Do you like camping? Do you like outdoor activities such as cycling or skiing.

After a busy week in the office, the opportunity to escape - even just for a weekend - with everything we need in a self-contained, small, mobile unit is (for us) perfect. I wouldn't have the time to use a DB9.

Before we bought the Cali, we were concerned that we may not get enough use out of it to justify spending the amount we did We have no such concerns now.

How much will you use the vehicle(s) you end up with?

Very good observations, I guess only I can decide.

Thankyou very much for the input

Spend it all on a Cali or some of it,, a db9 yep it’s awsome but if it goes wrong you’ll need an awsome bank balance to fix it .
Going fast is great but you cannot do it with getting a ticket
Going camping in ur Cali is much more fun.
I have owned quick cars not a db9 but the speed hit soon wears off ...

Very good point and advice, only a matter of time before you get caught speeding.

Thankyou for your input

Get the DB9 and stay in hotels!

Seriously, I’m fortunate and have several vehicles and motorbikes, but if I could only have one it would be the Cali. The DB9 would be enjoyable on the right roads and conditions but they would be few and far between; whereas you could use the Cali anytime and enjoy it.

As others have said, £20k is not enough for a pukka VW factory built California.

Have fun deciding! :thumb

Seriously, I’m fortunate and have several vehicles and motorbikes, but if I could only have one it would be the Cali. The DB9 would be enjoyable on the right roads and conditions but they would be few and far between; whereas you could use the Cali anytime and enjoy it.

As others have said, £20k is not enough for a pukka VW factory built California.

Thanks for your input, good advice. I have a couple of motorbikes, love my motorbikes, BMW r nine t sport and BMW R1200 RS Sport SE, resent to Santander on it last year.

Cheers pal

I bought a BMW Z4 for my Dad, he was having a tough year and needed a wee uplift. I can always take it for a spin also..... :D You can buy a nice low mileage one for £12-15k, and get plenty of smiles and enjoyment with the roof down. You'll get a good Cali, with your remaining balance.

That's my 2p anyway ;)

Here is my dilema.

I have a budget of approximately £57,000. I personally want to get a newish Ocean 4 motion with most of the obvious extras. My wife is suggesting getting a used Cali for £20,000 and use the rest on a used Aston Martin DB9.

This I know is a nice problem to have, but what do you (the experts) think of the pleasure of a £20,000 Cali v a new one.

Your comments would be very much appreciated.

Dear Paul

I had the chance to get a used Cali (2005 SE) for about £26,000. It is used and in great condition althought it hasn‘t got 4WD and some other things I‘d fancy. However moneywise this was the best option for me.
So it is all down to your (both of you) personal wishes and feelings and I guess there aren‘t any hard facts to argue only the goal to fullfill both of your dreams...
That in mind I would:
- try to find a (cheaper) T5 California Last Edition/Exdemo and a car for your wife (maybe there are other options for her like different brands. IMO like the Audi TT or the new Ford Mustang).
- save more to get more (that‘s hard I know).
- go for any Campervan because it‘s about camping, going outdoors and sharing moments rather than the Van

Wish you two all the best to find your dreamcar and look forward to see some pictures of both of them (Campervan and sportscar).

Cheers sapto

I would budget 20K for the DB and put the rest on a Cali if you must have both :veryfunny

I think you need to sit down with the wife and properly decide whether your going to spend weekends and some holidays exploring UK/Europe in the Cali or blasting about in the DB9 and staying in Hotels on the odd weekend. I don't think you have the time or money to do both. Just my take having done similar in the past.

Personally I think buying both would be the worst of all worlds. A cheap Cali and a cheap Aston could make for a world of expense and unreliability on both fronts.

Do one or the other but do it well or not at all would be my mantra.

Back