Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California dilema

I think you need to sit down with the wife and properly decide whether your going to spend weekends and some holidays exploring UK/Europe in the Cali or blasting about in the DB9 and staying in Hotels on the odd weekend. I don't think you have the time or money to do both. Just my take having done similar in the past.
If one of you is not sure about this camping malarkey it makes sense to have a few days away in a hired Cali.
Try and make the trip in good weather and visit must see places, who knows may make the decision easy.

56,800 on an Aston, the rest on a tent and sleeping bags.:(

Or 26,500 on the nice silver one advertised on this site and a 2005 DB9,
if you realise that the Cali is the way to go then you can flop em both
in for a newer Cali.

The silver cali advertised on here is just one that i´ve seen and i have
absolutely no connection with it. I only used it as a reference.

Here is my dilema.

I have a budget of approximately £57,000. I personally want to get a newish Ocean 4 motion with most of the obvious extras. My wife is suggesting getting a used Cali for £20,000 and use the rest on a used Aston Martin DB9.

This I know is a nice problem to have, but what do you (the experts) think of the pleasure of a £20,000 Cali v a new one.

Your comments would be very much appreciated.
I am lucky enough to own a DB9 (year 2005), but I’m selling it after only 2k miles. Fantastic engine and looks, but feels very old tech inside. Also the suspension is very hard (much firmer than the 911 (997 version) I owned before it.
I have a CL500 (year 2007) now, which has more luxury, much more comfortable, almost as quick and £20k cheaper. Absolute bargain compared to the overpriced Aston.
I’d recommend hiring a DB9 for the weekend, it might cost a lot, but better than the £5k depreciation I’m going to suffer because it’s not for me.
It could mean more in the pot for a better Cali.
Nice to have the choice though...

This is turning into a boys and toys thread :thumb And as we all know he who dies with the most toys wins...

I love my VW 911 (997) and my VW Ducati Multistrada 1200, but I don’t regret splashing out £50k on my VW California. And currently it is giving me the most joy.

You probably need them both, but I wouldn’t go cheap on the Cali. Throw another £25k in the pot and get a decent low mileage one.

After all, you can’t take it with you.

I feel for you Paul. It sounds to me like what ever you do will almost certainly end in tears.

I hope you don't mind me saying this but your wife doesn't sound very keen on the £57k Cali idea. Her counter suggestion sounds like £20ks worth of disinterest to me and anyway if you were to go down that route, you'll probably have to chase the chickens out of it before you can start living the dream. At the same time the Aston Martin will be sitting on your driveway, glaring at you whilst demanding constant access to your wallet. :(

On the other hand you could ignore your wife, go for your dream Cali and never hear the last of it. :(

What you need is a cunning plan.

How about suggesting that you both start looking for suitable vehicles. Go and have a look at a few old DB9s and Calis. However make sure that you both visit a good VW Commercial dealership and get a good salesman to properly talk you through the California "purely for research of course";). The Cali has a lot of showroom presence and can almost sell itself. Might I suggest you visit SMG at Tonbridge as they currently have a new T6 Ocean 4Motion in their showroom. Make an appointment to speak to Laine Watts who must be about the most knowledgeable and enthusiastic salesman that VW Commercial have. He is a true Cali enthusiast and has sold us two Calis to date. He is a very charming man.

Following this process, if you wife were to suggest that you should buy an uber gorgeous Cali and forget your silly DB9 idea, make sure that you rent one first to ensure that you both enjoy the glamping experience before laying down your hard earned.

Last edited:
I feel for you Paul. It sounds to me like what ever you do will almost certainly end in tears.

I hope you don't mind me saying this but your wife doesn't sound very keen on the £57k Cali idea. Her counter suggestion sounds like £20ks worth of disinterest to me and anyway if you were to go down that route, you'll probably have to chase the chickens out of it before you can start living the dream. At the same time the Astin Martin will be sitting on your driveway, glaring at you whilst demanding constant access to your wallet. :(

On the other hand you could ignore your wife, go for your dream Cali and never hear the last of it. :(

What you need is a cunning plan.

How about suggesting that you both start looking for suitable vehicles. Go and have a look at a few old DB9s and Calis. However make sure that you both visit a good VW Commercial dealership and get a good salesman to properly talk you through the California "purely for research of course";). The Cali has a lot of showroom presence and can almost sell itself. Might I suggest you visit SMG at Tonbridge as they currently have a new T6 Ocean 4Motion in their showroom. Make an appointment to speak to Laine Watts who must be about the most knowledgeable and enthusiastic salesman that VW Commercial have. He is a true Cali enthusiast and has sold us two Calis to date. He is a very charming man.

Following this process, if you wife were to suggest that you should buy an uber gorgeous Cali and forget your silly DB9 idea, make sure that you rent one first to ensure that you both enjoy the glamping experience before laying down your hard earned.

I would definitely also vouch for Laine at SMG Tonbridge

Not sure I would go with a DB9. However I have a weakness for an RR SVR.

The Wife said we would have to sell the Cali if I wanted it and the response was a categorical NO!

Back