Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California next style update

Its definitely a T7 Multivan platform.

Looks like it has a pop top.. Front opening??

Yes. Rises higher than the T6.1 too to compensate for the lower internal height of the Multivan
From the specs, the internal height is about 20mm less in the T7. I’ve not actually been inside one to compare though.

Its definitely a T7 Multivan platform.
Rear spoiler looks out of place, and might prevent use of the traditional VW bike rack….meaning that towbar etc will be required adding to purchase cost.

Rear spoiler looks out of place, and might prevent use of the traditional VW bike rack….meaning that towbar etc will be required adding to purchase cost.
Spoiler is integral to the multivan so maybe you’re right about the tow bar rack requirement.

Non-aluminium roof maybe?
Possibly manually operated judging by the strut.
Very large side windows by the looks of it too.
Blacked out rear windows suggest it may have full height cupboards.
My observations, but I’m sure we’ll know soon enough :)

Last edited:
It’s interesting they are calling this the “California Concept“ - I guess we find out on 25th August

Looks like a new canvas/ window design on the bellows sides if the shading is anything to go by

Doesn’t the Transit platform use leaf springs/live axle at the rear………like they did in the middle ages?
That should give you ride quality obsessives something to think about!!!

Doesn’t the Transit platform use leaf springs/live axle at the rear………like they did in the middle ages?
Yes, indeed. Archaic.2023-Ford-Transit-Custom-rear-suspension-1536x995.jpg

Im guessing it will be nothing to do with transit if it’s on multi van, probably didn’t want to hand over their biggest profit ratio vehicle to them.
Maybe the multi van will get integrated into the car dealerships and the new transporter/Ford combo will have nothing to do with Cali s

Im guessing it will be nothing to do with transit if it’s on multi van, probably didn’t want to hand over their biggest profit ratio vehicle to them.
Maybe the multi van will get integrated into the car dealerships and the new transporter/Ford combo will have nothing to do with Cali s
That silhouette in the photo above clearly shows the high rear side window line from the Tranny.

Beam axle at the rear means no 4x4.

I get the impression that the Ford Transit Custom collaboration is a dead duck. I guess we will have a better understanding when the Multivan Cali is released next month to see if it truly is a viable alternative platform to the Transporter.

That silhouette in the photo above clearly shows the high rear side window line from the Tranny.

The 2023 Multivan has that element too. The shape of the cab door window frame is also Multivan like and not Ford Custom. And shark fin is VW.

Ford do awd, I like the the look of the trail did think about using one to make a camperIMG_4665.png

So does the VW Crafter/MAN TGE which in turn includes the GC range.

The hilarity of these "sneak shots" is when we used to do them it was just someone, usually me, playing with the contrast to remove detail. So, reversing the process you get:

1690539434622.jpeg

Then adding the T7 on top, you get a 1-1 match when you align wheels and check details.
1690539516642.png

There are some minor panel changes I can spot - The rear fin is a slightly different shape, as are the lights, but there is no doubt IMHO this is a T7 LWB when you match the detail you can see in the lightened version for windows, door handles, A pillar, etc.

Last edited:
Back