Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Californian Arctic

Nice! Have you got a route planned or is it just free and easy?

Bit of both really.
We have a list of places and things we want to do so we are just going to work our way north and see how it goes and then leg it back down through Sweden to get the ferry back from the Hook of Holland.

We are near Alesund now. Moving slowly to Lofoten. The weather was ugly last 3 days. Raining non stop.
Got some fish already in a river and fjords. Was funny I tried fishing in ports waiting for the ferry crossing. Was getting like 3-4 fish in 20 minutes. :)

We are near Alesund now. Moving slowly to Lofoten. The weather was ugly last 3 days. Raining non stop.
Got some fish already in a river and fjords. Was funny I tried fishing in ports waiting for the ferry crossing. Was getting like 3-4 fish in 20 minutes. :)
The weather is up and down at the moment. I usually ignore the forecast as its been wrong every day for the last week! (yr.no) They said yesterday to forget summer for the next week but its been lovely here in Beiarn. Which way are you heading north? Boring E6 or amazing Kysteriksveien?

Definitely avoiding all the main roads. Made a 2nd attempt (mistake) visiting the Atlantic road. So hyped place. Just wanted to try fishing there from the bridge. Useless spot but I caught somebody's fishing rod :)
13532970_1041822149235908_4269859455863484440_n.jpg

Staying at magnillen.no for couple days.
Seen so few Calis in Norway. Tons of unfriendly germans here in July. Will never go that early again.

I wasnt too impressed with that road either. It looks amazing from the air but you dont see that from the road. Saltstraumen is way better in my opinion.

The Germans seem to take over in the summer. Its unbelievable how many of them come up!

Hope you have more success with the fishing :thumb

A couple of cheeky additions. I've waited almost 3 months for the Brandrup storage pockets from campervantastic. Thankfully they arrived in the UK the day I was flying back. The RAM mount phone holder covers up a mark from the old crappy cup holder.

e040874fd783006facdd0f48818d9326.jpg
eaeb367dacc2064d5d909769ff253692.jpg

We want to make a 2nd trip to Norway on September.
Any suggestions if we should go early or later autumn? I suppose should be few tourists in autumn, right?

We want to make a 2nd trip to Norway on September.
Any suggestions if we should go early or later autumn? I suppose should be few tourists in autumn, right?
Its actually quite nice in Autumn. When we took my syncro up a few years back, we drove back for 2 weeks in the back end of September. A lot of the campsite were almost shut by then and we had virtually had them all to ourselves for example in Nesna and Torghatten. You'll have a good chance of seeing the Nordlys too as it will be dark nights. Just make sure your heater is working though ;)
Dont leave it too late though as you'll need winter tyres. It depends how far North you'll go though. Do you have anywhere you missed when you came last time? You need winter tyres before the end of October at least.
http://www.vegvesen.no/en/Vehicles/Seasonal/Tyres+and+snow+chains

Don't think we'll stay longer than 15th of October.
Won't go much further than Trondheim. We haven't been to many southern fjords yet.
Mostly going for fishing.
Any suggestions for good fishing spots from the shore/bridges and wild places to camp?
Can share the ones we found on our last trip.

I was in Aurland last year in september with the motorbike, thats when I decided to sell it and get a Cali:
DSC_3693-XL.jpg

DSC_4113-XL.jpg

Oots of Asians everywhere, but roads where almost empty.
I can recommend Flåmsbana, the worlds most beatiful railwaynline.

Well its been a while since I've done owt with the van. I've been to work and back a couple of times since and the snow has been quite bad. I can back this time and I could hardly see to van. Rain was forecast too which turns the light fluffy snow into a right old pig to shift. I got the shovel out and two days later it was out! It took a tractor intervention too to pull the rubber from the permafrost!

The first big snow fall
Untitled by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

Peekaboo!

The smurrf developed an underbite

Can you see I was chuffed!

Ready to rock and roll once more!

The main reason for getting the van out was to check the ice wasnt playing havoc with the exterior. I found this after letting it thaw. Needs a bit of a reseal. Ive been told Sikaflex 512 should do the trick

Hi Matt,
every photo you upload make me wan to quit my job and travel the whole live across Scandinavia!!!

Really amazing place!

Stefano
Thank you very much for the kind words.

I would imagine Switzerland is equally as beautiful. :thanks

Thank you very much for the kind words.

I would imagine Switzerland is equally as beautiful. :thanks
Yes, it's beatiful but we don't have the sea...
How is to travel with kid with cold weather?

Yes, it's beatiful but we don't have the sea...
How is to travel with kid with cold weather?
We haven't travelled with our son during winter. Its way too cold for that. I'll wait until at least May before we can think about going further away with him. Winter is just playing about with the van at the moment.

Just fitted the headlight upgrade loom from Xtremevan. I've had it for over a year but it went missing until the other day. I found it in the back of the old Mercedes in the basement! This has taken the voltage up from just over 12V to just over 14V. It would have been an easy mod if I hadnt changed to the Angel Eyes which use H7 bulbs. The harness was made up for H4 so I got hold of new H7 plugs from Biltema (love that store) and modified to suit. Now I've just got the swap the existing angel eye LED's for some cobb rings and all will be perfect.
BEFORE :sorry

After :pinkbanana
New headlight upgrade by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

Check you out with your 14v !

I've read about this but never really investigated.

Back