Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calinomics

JuanVecino2023

JuanVecino2023

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Although it’s a pricey purchase, I really should tot up the savings the Cali generates.

Every time I make a coffee in the Aeropress & save £3.30 on a flat white

Every time I make a sandwich in the kitchen instead of paying for overpriced ready made in a services or National Trust cafe etc

Savings on average accommodation in a pub or Air BnB

It probably racks up quite quickly.

Last edited:
Although it’s a pricey purchase, I really should tot up the savings the Cali generates.

Every time I make a coffee in the Aeropress & save £3.30 on a flat white

Every time I make a sandwich in the kitchen instead of paying for overpriced ready made in a services of National Trust cafe etc

Savings on average accommodation in a pub or Air BnB

It probably racks up quite quickly.
Couldn’t agree more. :thumb
We use ours as a daily driver which means no doubling up of tax, MoT, servicing, etc. never mind the outlay on another vehicle.
At the other end of the scale, sitting under the awning with a glass of beer or wine is far cheaper and nicer than paying pub or restaurant prices.

Absolutely this.

There's always a little dirty laugh of joy that escapes the mrs when she's sat in the van eating/drinking amazing food, and looking to the side of the van and seeing someone slapping a McDonalds down their throat.

It's a priviledge many dont have, and many more dont realise exists. We're a fortunate lot.

That said, i'm often the bloke next to her with the McDonalds....

Last edited:
I don't think I'm saving a lot. I don't buy coffee, I would take sandwich with me or something else to eat. I have Dometic fridge which travelled with me in 4x4. Also solar panels and Jackery to get free electricity. I still have to wait until Jackery pays for itself, saving me of 4-5 GBP/EUR/CHF when camping, so need to clock 200 nights at campsites.
OK, the only saving is on petrol, because 4x4 is real gas guzzler comparing to California.

I did some mental back of fag packet calculations with Mrs Vecino on the drive back from Wales yesterday.

I reckon we buy a coffee a day when on holiday. For ease, call it £7 for two. Say £1.50 to make two with posh beans & milk. So £5.50 saving per day. £38.50pw

Sandwiches, realistically on average £15 for three of us. Say it costs £.1.50 each to make with some posh sourdough & deli meat (not like for like with a service station offering!). So £10.50 saving per day. £73.5pw

Accommodation, let’s say difference campsite vs bog standard pub per night £80 (based on £40 campsite vs £120 pub) £560pw

If I added pub beers & meals out vs cooking in van for say 3 nights of a week trip at £50 saving (using £75 for pizza for three and a drink each). £150

I get to £822 per week holiday.

Imperfect maths. But indicative nonetheless.

Last edited:
For me one of the big savings has been the ability to camp anywhere:
- It's a minimum 1.5 hour drive for us to the nearest airport here in Denmark. Being able to drive to a rest area the night before a 6am flight saves on paying for an airport hotel or waking up god-awful early.
- In driving south through Germany to the Alps, we can just drive until we're tired, pull off to a rest stop, and pop the roof instead of some weird roadside motel.

Sure, it's possible to do both of these in any vehicle, but the difference in quality of sleep needs no explanation!

Great idea about the airport. If we fly from one of the budget airline airports like Stanstead or Luton, it’s either a 2:00am start or an overpriced airport hotel.

Must look into using the Cali as our transport and staying overnight en route

Great idea about the airport. If we fly from one of the budget airline airports like Stanstead or Luton, it’s either a 2:00am start or an overpriced airport hotel.

Must look into using the Cali as our transport and staying overnight en route
Airport parking regulations include “no overnight sleep” iirc so that rules out pulling the roof.
Similarly parking at motorways rest areas in the uk.
So you’d have to find a suitable overnight parking.

I found France motorway aires perfect instead

Opposite for me. The Cali costs me a fortune - takes to me to pubs, campsites and far flung coffee shops everywhere. Without it I’d be stuck at home reusing my tea bags boiling vegetable peel to make soups.

Worth every penny.

Airport parking regulations include “no overnight sleep” iirc so that rules out pulling the roof.

I was thinking a campsite in close proximity would suffice; depending on check-in and departure rules.

which airports? try camperstop, there is nearly always either a permitted place or a pub with a carpark somewhere close where the roof can be extended and snoring is allowed....just no rockin!

I did some mental back of fag packet calculations with Mrs Vecino on the drive back from Wales yesterday.

I reckon we buy a coffee a day when on holiday. For ease, call it £7 for two. Say £1.50 to make two with posh beans & milk. So £5.50 saving per day. £38.50pw

Sandwiches, realistically on average £15 for three of us. Say it costs £.1.50 each to make with some posh sourdough & deli meat (not like for like with a service station offering!). So £10.50 saving per day. £73.5pw

Accommodation, let’s say difference campsite vs bog standard pub per night £80 (based on £40 campsite vs £120 pub) £560pw

If I added pub beers & meals out vs cooking in van for say 3 nights of a week trip at £50 saving (using £75 for pizza for three and a drink each). £150

I get to £822 per week holiday.

Imperfect maths. But indicative nonetheless.
Come the apocalypse you’ll be able to charge desperate Londoners seeking refuge in the Cotswolds £15 a go for your chai lattes, you’ll recoup the cost in no time at all.

We have a tassimo, but she doesn't drink coffee, so I charge myself, does that count?

Cold hard cash knows no favouritism.

So long as there’s £ in the coffers, it’s all good.

Yes but this is because the uk (well england anyway) forbids about everything (can’t do this, can’t do that)
A spiteful society unlike our more enlightened European colleagues

So you’d have to find a suitable overnight parking
I did just that at Dublin Airport’s long term car park the other day before a 6am flight. Never even occurred to me that I wouldn’t be allowed to do so. Just went to check their FAQs but couldn’t see anything related to campervans, motorhomes or sleeping there. Couldn’t find any other rules on their website.

Planning to do it again in a few weeks’ time - and this time I’ll have to pop the roof. So we’ll see what happens :)

I did just that at Dublin Airport’s long term car park the other day before a 6am flight. Never even occurred to me that I wouldn’t be allowed to do so. Just went to check their FAQs but couldn’t see anything related to campervans, motorhomes or sleeping there. Couldn’t find any other rules on their website.

Planning to do it again in a few weeks’ time - and this time I’ll have to pop the roof. So we’ll see what happens :)
This is great. Do you bring a portable toilet or wee in a quiet corner? The weeing is a key factor in convincing my wife to do stealth camping.

Back