Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali's Big Brother?

J

Jules

VIP Member
After 5 years and two superb Cali's we decided we needed something a little more spacious with onboard facilities. After selling our Cali we bought a small Autocrise van but we're not at all happy with it. In our opinion poor quality, terrible rattles that we couldn't get rid of. How we missed our old Cali.

Then we stumbled across Hymercar and in particular the Serengeti. 5.4m, pop up roof, second double bed downstairs, top quality German interior, 150 bhp engine. To us, after 6 months of ownership, this really has been the perfect replacement.

A lovely vehicle, always been impressed with Hymer.

Cape Town (VW base) is no longer available in the uk. Only lasted one season. Expect the Cali was too much competition. All Hymercars are now on Fiat base which is better than we anticipated especially with larger engine option. Avoid robotised auto though. It's no DSG!

Lovely, but not 4wd or auto so no go for us.

How has it changed the way you use your van? Do you leave it on site more and bike into towns? Do you use more motorways rather than blasting cross country?

To be honest it really hasn't changed it at all. Still take it off site all the time as at 5.4m and being a van conversion it fits in a parking space with no problems. Still take the small country lanes (thanks Garmin!) as its really no bigger than a lot of 4x4's. The only restriction now is we obviously can't get under height barriers as we are 2.7m high.

This is our van which was loaned for the test prior to our purchase.

Nothing will replace our Cali's but if, like us, you need a bit more space and dare I say comfort then a Hymercar is a pretty good choice.

I saw them at the M&C Show last week and was impressed with the Sierra Nevada on show with the pop top. Thought the engine power was 130bhp but that may have been the show models.

Tempted...

The Fiat base is very common for Motorhomes, is it a good vehicle?

I am a little biased against Fiat,

I found them to be more of a lorry than a car, but the Ducato chassis is probably the most popular for coach builders.

I keep getting tempted then go through the periodic struggle of getting head to rule over heart. I really can't manage with something much bigger than a SWB camper.

@AlanC. No doubt the Fiat isn't as refined as the VW but having said that better than I expected. Luckily ours had some nice options, cruise, chrome trim, leather steering wheel, traction plus, hill hold assist etc which helped give it a bit more upmarket feel.

I would want at least a 150 on the Sierra Navada but various options are available right up to a 3 litre. Also the Hymer options list, much like the Cali's, is huge.

Can't say that I am over impressed with the build quality of Hymer having worked on them over the years. Nice spec but poor build. Unusual for Germans.

Hi Blackwell,

Anything specific, or is just an overall impression compared to other vans you have worked on?

Alan

Leaks mainly. Older models always seemed to suffer with rotten timbers from small and unnoticed leaks that have done their work over time. Electrics can also be a pain as they tended to use control panels that became obsolete quite quickly.

Leaks must the bane of all caravan and motor home manufacturers.
The Hymer Car is a full Fiat panel van with some windows added and nothing else externally, unless you choose the poptop option. So hopefully the leakage issue will be limited.

Most manufacturers use control panels now I noticed. Very flashy ones over the door usually.

One company, can't remember which, had a side panel open showing off a myriad of control boxes, chargers and wiring on their van.

The Cali is simply by comparison and better for it in my view. The more you add, the more it is like traveling with your house with you. That defeats the object, doesn't it?

Alan

I think so too. It seems that the industry and even self builds, have become obsessed with "tech".
Practicality has given way to how much electronic nonsense we can cram in instead.
Don't get me wrong, it isn't all bad. We have all benefited from advanced electrical systems in terms of efficiency and capability but there has been a massive loss of perspective.

Back