Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calitop

Does anyone on here have a Calitop? If so, would you recommend?

We are looking for a topper to protect against driving rain but also help with insulation up top. I like the idea that the Calitop can be left in situ. I’m otherwise considering a Pucer top.

Thanks
I've very recently bought an external Cali topper. It's the Comfortz VW California T5 SE & T6 Ocean 'Cali Topper' roof cover, purchased through the club shop at a price of £280.24 inc. VAT & VIP discount. We had some difficult nights on Islay, this time last year, with driving rain coming through the mesh vents in the roof, wicking roof canvas and cold. I would hesitate to use the topper in the high winds we had then but, revisiting Scotland last week, we were very snug in the roof - warmer and drier. The one I bought has 'windows' side and front. The one at the front is irrelevant as there's no window in the roof fabric at the front anyway; but I like being able to see out of the side windows in the morning. These are fixed windows and don't unzip.

However, the fabric is not breathable and there is a lot of condensation inside the topper in the mornings (we sleep upstairs). I hadn't expected this and although it isn't a problem as such, we just have to take care to shake off the wet and dry the topper as much as possible before putting it away. We found that if the topper and/or the roof is damp, the plasticky inside of the topper clings to the roof, making it more difficult to manoeuvre into place when fitting. Also, we decided to pack our 2-step folding stepladder; without it we would struggle to fit the topper as neither of us is tall.
Despite these issues, I'm very pleased with my purchase. The roof-space feels quite different with the topper on, and I can recommend it. I think it's worth seeing if there's one on the market that would fit your Cali and which is made from a breathable fabric.

foto (42).JPG

I have no front window, but this one comes with the optional 3rd window if needed.
Very easy to put on and off, and as you can see, you can open the windows if needed.

Back