Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calling DSG users, especially with 4Motion as well

Melancholic

Melancholic

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hello there,

If anyone could help me with my DSG doubt I'd be very grateful. And my apologies for the length of this post.

As per my introduction post I'm a bit unsure about buying a van with DSG and 4 motion. I'm set on the 4 motion, so:- why do I have doubts about DSG? Three main worries.

(1) The long and term reliability and cost of repairs / replacement.

(2) The driving style.

(3) Suitability for my specific requirements.

First one is, I think fairly straightforward. I don't want a massive out of warranty bill, nor do I want an "in warranty" contentious and major repair that I could / should have seen coming a mile off. Is DSG really a clever idea but a bit more bother than it's worth for your average person?

Second. Well, there's obviously a lot of comment about lag on take off, being unable to nip into traffic gaps etc. etc. Well, obviously I'd expect every vehicle to have it's idiosyncrasies and to have to take account of them. Fair enough. But is it really a matter of having to learn a particular style of driving? I’ve read a lot about this, although not much in the context of a Cali.

I can certainly see that technology like that might be useful on a track, where you can go and study the route beforehand. However, I'm quite taken with the idea that the human eye and brain is a pretty good combination for assessing unfamiliar road conditions in a hurry. Losing the capacity to control the vehicle with a clutch pedal using that assessment seems, possibly, like a backwards step. Good for predictable conditions, less so for constant improvisation. So not better or worse, but appropriate for a different situation. Perhaps.

I can see me in some unfamiliar town, getting supplies in, in my van, trying to get through crowded streets, pedestrians spilling onto the roads, steep hills, tight turns, edging into busy car parks. Good with a clutch pedal - but what about with DSG? Is it possible to achieve that fine control? Or on tiny roads, trying to reverse into a few inches of extra space so that an oncoming lorry can pass, a ditch waiting for a poor driving choice. Again, with mirrors and a clutch pedal - all good. DSG? Not so sure, as things stand. I'd really appreciate comments about this stuff.

Third. Well, 4Motion etc. Sounds great. Firstly for dragging myself out of steep, wet campsites, through wintery lanes and the like. (I do appreciate the need for the correct tyres but lets assume that's dealt with, please). So really, basic camping on fairly basic campsites. But, having got a four wheel drive, it would be nice to get a bit more adventurous. OK, it's not a Defender but it would be good to get into that sort of thing, so far as is reasonable. It seems like the 4 Motion is pretty capable in that direction but does the DSG compromise that capability, would you say. I can see that it might be helpful if you were pulling a big load from Brighton to Inverness but on rough tracks, and wild ground with loads of sudden dips and twists…it couldn’t really predict those, surely, and therefore could it really deal with them as effectively as a manual gearbox?

I would really appreciate your comments. I have read a LOT, including the thread about developing one’s driving style for DSG but I’d love to hear the opinions of people here and if anyone is into off-roading with a 4motion DSG – please please let me know how you find it.

I think even if I got a test drive it’s vanishingly unlikely that I’d be able to test that aspect!

Also, I’d be especially interested to hear what sort from anyone who has done a lot of miles with a DSG box and what happened.

Thanks ever so much for reading this far and for any comments.

Agree with Snowy55. We are all different and have different uses/expectations in mind for our Cali's. This forum is an invaluable source of information and opinion, but when it involves such a large outlay, hiring before buying seems like sound advice to me.
Good luck with the search

I think talking about DSG v MANUAL is

miscellaneous-worms-can-tin-opening_a_can_of_worms-opening-jfa2492_low.jpg

I have always driven sporty cars and have only ever had manuals so for me the DSG wasn't even a consideration and it would certainly not be something I would pay for.. I think it would feel unnatural to me and being the OCD control freak I am I like to control everything and I bet it would get on my nerves if it did't change up or down exactly when I wanted lol
..but if I was looking for a van and the right one came up for the right price and it was DSG then I would have gone for it.
We saw a lot of pre-reg 4motion DSG's for sale at good prices and almost bought one but the dealer (Robinsons) mucked us around and I ended up buying new (which I'm glad I did)

I have had a 4Motion DSG for quite a while now and had no problems at all with it.

In regards to the delay that some people mention, I have never ever had this problem with mine, I can only assume they are not used to the DSG box or they have a fault.

I feel very comfortable overtaking and pulling away on roundabouts just as much as I would in a manual

I think once you have driven the DSG you will not go back to a manual.

Why create all that extra hard work changing gears??

If you are unsure still then I also suggest you hire one

DSG is ery manoeuvrable. Can put in manual to hold in 1st whilst amongst people. Also to reverse slowly. Reverse sensors are a help.
Main problem with manual is ecu has last say so is no good apart from very slow speeds.
DSG was also not my choice, but cali was there at rite time & money. Honestly not sure what I'd buy next time.

Sent from my SM-G900F

I have DSG and 4motion.

I have experienced lag but once you know it's there you prepare for it. It has never caused me a problem.

Long distance driving or chugging around town it just does all the work. Quite delightful, quite responsive.

4motion I would not be without but that is because I like to go to places where problems getting back off again are likely to be encountered. It is the nature of the beast that eventually you would want to put a cali where few motorhomes or caravans dare to go. It is the joy of the vehicle and it does that part very well indeed.

As Martin and others have suggested, hire one and live with it for a week.

In common with my Land Rover Defender my DSG California has anti-stall creep mode which makes fine control a doddle. We have a Mazda MX5 manual and the DSG California. This is my first DSG as all previous vehicles have been manuals. It won't be the last.
I think you will find an awful lot of the T5 vans sold are DSG and on the T5 forums problems with DSG gearboxes are very, very rare.
If you are having any doubts or questions, bite the bullet and hire a DSG van.

I would agree with all that has been said so far.

The lag can be an issue initially, until you adapt your driving style slightly, and it is only a slight change necessary.

Having a Sport, Tiptronic as well as the lazy Drive modes makes it as sporty and as comfortable you want and as controllable as a manual.

I love it and now would not change. I only wish we had a 4Motion.

We rented first and always say it is a good test before you buy.
At the price of these vehicles you do need to be sure.

Alan

I've been stuck enough times to know that 4WD is desirable in a camper; not essential obviously but by the time you've spent the thick end of 50k you might as well add it.

Regarding DSG, I'm neither for nor against. The T5 has a very light clutch and good gear change so manual is not a problem (I've had both, a manual 2wd SE and a now a DSG 4Motion).The DSG does take a bit of getting used to when pulling into a traffic stream, but it is really relaxing to drive. You do have a good degree of control over it as well.

If you get the Bluemotion DSG variant you also get the coasting mode which (is supposed to) save fuel; this can be disabled if preferred but I leave it on as a slight dab on the brakes disables it anyway.

You will lose 3-5mpg on a 180 DSG 4Motion over a 140 manual, by the way.

I would see what is available, and if you find one in a colour you like and it's good deal then go for it whether it is DSG, 4Motion or manual 2wd. They're all top notch drives.

Welcome to the forum, by the way, and good hunting. :thumb

Thanks for the replies - hiring one does sound like a sensible idea. Lots of food for thought but it sounds pretty encouraging! Too tired now to give proper responses so this must do for now, alas, but your help and positivity is much appreciated.Goodnight.

Thanks for the replies - hiring one does sound like a sensible idea. Lots of food for thought but it sounds pretty encouraging! Too tired now to give proper responses so this must do for now, alas, but your help and positivity is much appreciated.Goodnight.

Too tired!!!:shocked

Wait until you get a Cali....

you will be a born-again frantic youngster with all the passion of rutting stags bumping into a herd of virgin doe's!

Wow Jen! Which wine are you on tonight...I want some!

Alan

We only drive auto so manual wasn't an option. The cruise control is fab on long journeys or when you're trying to stay at 40 and avoid a speeding ticket! Auto is brilliant around town and for hill starts.

Don't forget if you want more umph you can still use the gearbox to hold it in a lower gear. The sport mode makes it nippy when pulling out to avoid the lag on starting.

Like others, we would only buy 4motion. On our second night away we were sat feeling smug while a big white whale got stuck in the mud which we had previously danced over.

We hunted high and low for a 180 DSG 4 MOTION in the pre pre T6 scrabble and have been very pleased with it.

You are close to Norwich where Robinsons are, I am sure you can talk Tom into a weekend away in his demo to test it out. I was suprised he had so many 4motions in such a flat place but apparently it's a muddy place Norfolk!

Good luck with your decision

We have 4motion DSG, I don't know of any other 4x4 camper/motorhome (except T25 synchro?) so we didn't hesitate. DSG is absolute dream to drive but our biggest main reason is there is no anxiety of the kids knocking the gearstick into neutral and playing see saw with the handbrake and ending up freewheeling down the campsite. I just got fed up of lifting the muddy plastic ramps from under the tyres on our other manual gearbox motorhome. (I don't know how many consider this point with motorhomes/campers)

our biggest main reason is there is no anxiety of the kids knocking the gearstick into neutral and playing see saw with the handbrake and ending up freewheeling down the campsite.
Good point. First thing 3yo granddaughter does in ours is make a beeline for the gear knob! I don't think she'd manage the handbrake though; but I wouldn't bank on it.

We hired both and fell in love the the DSG box, so smooth and effortless it was a no brainer for us. If you can afford the extra for the DSG I say go for it.

Never had any problems with it at all

This is my personal opinion only. On my vehicle I do not experience the hesitation that some have mentioned. It may be me, it may be the vehicle but in my hands it just does what I want it to do.
4Motion does make it seem well planted on the road and once again that is my personal observation.
The downside of DSG and 4Motion is a reduction in economy, but compared to my previous Defender I'm already quids in.:thumb

We have 4motion DSG, I don't know of any other 4x4 camper/motorhome (except T25 synchro?) so we didn't hesitate. DSG is absolute dream to drive but our biggest main reason is there is no anxiety of the kids knocking the gearstick into neutral and playing see saw with the handbrake and ending up freewheeling down the campsite. I just got fed up of lifting the muddy plastic ramps from under the tyres on our other manual gearbox motorhome. (I don't know how many consider this point with motorhomes/campers)
Toyota granvia can be fund in 4WD and auto. We have a 1996 one for sale for £11k! We only swapped as the hightop bed is only good to about 6t and our son is 6'4.

Toyota granvia can be fund in 4WD and auto. We have a 1996 one for sale for £11k! We only swapped as the hightop bed is only good to about 6t and our son is 6'4.
Very interesting vehicle. I always turn my head when I see one, would like to know more about them.

I don't know why Toyota didn't develop this idea; same could be said of the Bongo and some other Japanese vans. Same with their sports cars, the MR2, Celica & Supra were much sought after but they just seemed more interested in churning out Corollas :eek:

Yip, mazdo bongo and ford fiende are 4wd campers as such, sorry for being a vw purist, T4 also produced in syncro version using audi quattro clutch and drive. We get realistic average mpg of 36 short runs and we live on a steep hill, 44mpg is best yet on motorway to conwy. Only use bp fuel, forget supermarket fuel or redex like additives, engine is too smart and knows what its drinking plus we can notice a take off delay when not using a 'good' diesel.

If really concerned about auto delay then stick it in 'manual' tiptronic style and set off using the hand brake, no performance issues then!

We get realistic average mpg of 36 short runs and we live on a steep hill, 44mpg is best yet on motorway to conwy. Only use bp fuel, forget supermarket fuel or redex like additives, engine is too smart and knows what its drinking plus we can notice a take off delay when not using a 'good' diesel.
That MPG is amazing. I accidentally put premium diesel in our old 140 Cali but it didn't seem to make any difference; from your figures it looks like it may be worth further investigation!

Back