Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

204 DSG MPG

• Thread starter Pure Worktop Protection
  • Start date
I would assume the same but interestingly VW quote better consumption figures for the DSG (for Urban and Combined). Whether those figures can be believed is another matter......
I also appear to get significantly better fuel consumption using ACC then under the control of my foot.

Last edited:
T6 204PS DSG here with 10,000 miles now. Getting a steady 36/37mpg and I never drive for mpgs so I reckon I could get more if I didn't keep booting it!

P.S. We use ours every day, town driving etc and UK holidaying

Every car maker quoted MPG is far out from daily MPG in my view. Never bought a car or van expecting stated returns.

T6 204PS DSG here with 10,000 miles now. Getting a steady 36/37mpg and I never drive for mpgs so I reckon I could get more if I didn't keep booting it!

P.S. We use ours every day, town driving etc and UK holidaying
Don't believe the Dash Display. It can be very creative. Check with Full tank to Full tank and preferably from the same Forecourt pump.

Thanks for the replies - just had a trip up to London and averaged 37 mpg - so all good.

That was from the computer reading - am going to do tank to tank this weekend.

Tank to tank does not work with me as I have the heater on a lot this time of year.

Mine poodles along at about 32mpg on average, sometimes a lot less, influenced partly by what wheels I have on,

However I really do not give a fig. The Cali is for getting me out, on the road, exploring, and to me it's "have I got enough fuel to keep me warm overnight and get me comfortably to a pit stop tomorrow" that influences me and quite frankly 500 miles with a full tank is what I like. Yippee. Fill it up, get on the road, don't worry about a thing except smiling for the next few hours.

Just driven 700 miles to the alps at a cruise set 70mph and achived 36.2mpg

Mines now covered 6000 miles and is a 4 motion too

I've just been though the UK to Chantilly in France and averaged 34.6 mpg. I travel at either 100 or 120 kph on the peage and UK motorways. I use the auto cruise control for as much of the journey as I can. Our 204 DSG 2 motion Cali has done 3700 miles.

Decades ago I read that for every 5mph over 50mph you loose 3 miles per gallon on consumption useage,
As at the time I had a company car and was paid an allowance per mile for fuel I tested this out in real terms (did 40k miles per yearly average then). I found that it was true and enabled a profit to be made on fuel allowance, sadly the coming of Fuel cards killed that income.
I have always kept that fact in mind when driving plus an hours batting along only gets you there a minute or two earlier, is time that critical?
Other fuel saving method is to try never to need to brake for roundabouts etc. by lifting off the accelerator around 800mtrs before. Braking generally means that energy/speed gained by burning fuel to attain has been miscalculated.

I would also agree with others that consumption improves after 10k miles and sometimes as much as 20k before the engine gives its best fuel usage rate.

Must admit that I was hoping for upper 30's from my forthcoming 204ps 4M DSG . I did get 35mpg from my Peugoet based Mobilehome even with a 2.5 tonnes box van on tow. Time will tell I guess.
I agree, generally keeping up with traffic but 50-55 mph is sweet spot for wafting along, on motorways I don't go above 70 as mpg drops like a stone, anticipate rather than driving on brakes. I was getting 35 mpg but now up to 40 mpg on 204 dsg 4 motion mixed roads using this better (and more relaxed) driving technique.

couple of meals in the van instead of a café and the fuel consumption starts to look very manageable and from then on fades away as the night stays rack up ....650 miles or so on every tankful .... poop poop ......

To add to my last post: driven the 700 miles home and achived 37.5 mpg. Again sticking to 70.

As I recall it's roughly in line with my t5 180 dsg (2wheel drive) at the same mileage which went on to do over 40mpg after about 15k...

I also recall my first tank full in Billy was about 28mpg... HTH

My weekend demonstrates the variance. Leicestershire to Bristol on Friday was a relatively slow run due to heavy traffic the whole way. I averaged 46pmg door to door. Spent Saturday exploring the Mendips and got 25mpg. That's using the MFD readings but based on a couple of brim to brim checks its pretty accurate - certainly representative.

Every car maker quoted MPG is far out from daily MPG in my view. Never bought a car or van expecting stated returns.
The only cars i have that consume as the factory spec are my bmw 120d and my 525d xdrive. These cars can be driven to match the factory figures. The t6 is far off. I am averaging 24 mpg and at lot worse if i am city driving. 30 mpg is the best i have seen driving motorways with the cruise control on 120 km/h. I know it is a van but i expected a better result from a 2016 euro6 engine.

Ocean 150 manual now 6 months old. Using tank fill and odometer to be accurate. Mix driving about town and A class roads averaging 42mpg. Motorway long journey at 65-70 mph gives me 44 mpg. Went through a sad phase now no longer care about consumption as I enjoy driving the Cali more than the car.

Fuel consumption not the best , tank range round about 400 miles ! Around 30 miles per gallon, whether loaded or not . Don't drive it like Mary Poppins, or like I stole it ! Although have had it much less on return from Italy . Engine has covered 5000 plus miles now , and would think it's well bedded in by now . Just need to live with it .

Back