Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CAM Belt Water Pump Replacement

Mickm0812

Mickm0812

Hi Everyone

Could anyone please shed some light on the correct timescales for the CAM belt replacement. Everywhere I have read offers different answers and I have contacted two VW dealers and neither offered the same advice. My Cali is a 64 plate with 30000 miles. Greenp did give me the heads up on a VW approved garage local to me who could do the work as I've contacted my local dealer in Newcastle about the pricing and availability and got no response. I just want to make sure the work is done when required as I am well aware of the damage it will cause ton the engine if it snaps !

Thank you

Mick

Hi Everyone

Could anyone please shed some light on the correct timescales for the CAM belt replacement. Everywhere I have read offers different answers and I have contacted two VW dealers and neither offered the same advice. My Cali is a 64 plate with 30000 miles. Greenp did give me the heads up on a VW approved garage local to me who could do the work as I've contacted my local dealer in Newcastle about the pricing and availability and got no response. I just want to make sure the work is done when required as I am well aware of the damage it will cause ton the engine if it snaps !

Thank you

Mick
Think yours is due at 4 years, not sure of mileage.

Hi Everyone

Thank you

Mick
My research indicated , in the UK and from my Dealership, 4 yrs / 80,000 miles. So I had mine done at 4 yrs and in fact I had done 80,000 miles. Cost was about £550 inc VAT and includes Cambelt etc: + Water Pump. The work carries a 2 yr Warranty if carried out by VW.

Just checking the Volkswagen T5.1 Catalog for Spain. Their maintaineScreen Shot 2020-01-12 at 10.47.07 PM.pngnce schedule for the 2.0 TDI post 2010 cam belt is inspect every 30,000km, replace at 210,000 km or every 10 years. Checked on forums here and it's common practice with no problems. It is the same motor, made by the same manufacturer. Bizarre.

Last edited:
I had mine replaced at the prescribed 4 years but only 19k miles. Took it to a recommended local garage in Swansea. Fitted new cambelt, water pump, idler rollers and ancillary belt. Asked them to keep the parts so I could inspect them ..Everything was perfect with no sign of wear whatsoever. cost me £320.. Seems like the time and mileage recommendations have now changed and nobody has a clue what you are now supposed to do.

Mine would be replace it at 4 years / 80,000 miles if that's what the current uk schedule is, especially if you have the extended 5 year warranty.

After that its a gamble - are you likely to sell the van at some point? buyer is likely to ask when it was last done & knock off the cost if you haven't had it done for years.

If it was £1000 old banger I would risk it with just a yearly visual inspection, due to the value of the vans, I think £320 every 4 years is a worthwhile precaution.

What all our European friends tell us that it’s completely different over there... Why would this be..? As far as I know the vehicles are the same other than being right hand drive.. Do they fit inferior belts on vehicles destined to be sold in the UK? I dearly hope not..Just read some of the posts from European owners who say these UK limits DONT apply to them..Why is this? Is it VW-UK that make up these rules so their dealerships can screw us for some more money...Something not quite right here..

Is it VW-UK that make up these rules so their dealerships can screw us for some more money...Something not quite right here..
Probably - but then Uk gets a 3 year factory warranty, Spain etc only 2 years. So not all one sided.

Probably - but then Uk gets a 3 year factory warranty, Spain etc only 2 years. So not all one sided.
Yes but this shouldn't affect the durability/life of these components. It appears to be too cautious on this side of the channel to the point of being blatantly wasteful

And your informed judgement would be?
Follow the Spanish recommendation, as I intend to keep the vehicle for as long as my driving licence holds out and I can get insurance.
In the past I have run other vehicles well beyond their recommended service schedule, but routine inspection is important.

Follow the Spanish recommendation, as I intend to keep the vehicle for as long as my driving licence holds out and I can get insurance.
In the past I have run other vehicles well beyond their recommended service schedule, but routine inspection is important.
I think more to the point is follow the German manufacturer’s recommendation, inspect every 30,000-40,000km and change at 210,000km. No time limit, but @Loz asked the belt manufacturer and they answered that design criteria was 10 years.

Oddly today a neighbour thought his timing belt had come off. I told him it wasnt, it was serpentine time belt. Belt look like new so I said I would have a look. First off I could smell antifreeze. Second off a lot of water was visible on the bottom tray. All looked fine until you turned the water pump. Bearing gone, shaft moving, hence the belt came off.

Car was a 2015 Hyundai.

Oddly today a neighbour thought his timing belt had come off. I told him it wasnt, it was serpentine time belt. Belt look like new so I said I would have a look. First off I could smell antifreeze. Second off a lot of water was visible on the bottom tray. All looked fine until you turned the water pump. Bearing gone, shaft moving, hence the belt came off.

Car was a 2015 Hyundai.
There seems to be an issue on the T6 of the water pump failing long before the cam belt shows any visible wear.

And VW in Australia give a 5 year warranty.. If they can offer it there then the can offer it everywhere...While you have BMW, Mercedes an Audi giving 3 year warranties VW will just follow its German Friends..

There seems to be an issue on the T6 of the water pump failing long before the cam belt shows any visible wear.
Would we react differently if VW told us to replace the water pump every four years, even if the van had less than 20,000km? I think people would point out that other manufacturers do much better on this specific water pump reliability issue.

Would we react differently if VW told us to replace the water pump every four years, even if the van had less than 20,000km? I think people would point out that other manufacturers do much better on this specific water pump reliability issue.
But this is more or less what they are saying.. Cambelt and waterpump with idler rollers and ancillary belt.. Its the kit you buy to do the job. Although it’s just the Cambelt they are really asking you to change it’s silly not to change the lot while it’s stripped down..You would think by now they could make a cambelt and water pump that could last longer than 4 years. Had the same cambelt on a Toyota MR2 for 22 years..

Exactly the same issues with cam belt changes and iffy water pumps with Skoda, again, different change timings in the U.K. market to every one else, iv ignored the Skoda dealership that keep asking if we want ours done as it’s just turned 5 years old

I had mine replaced at the prescribed 4 years but only 19k miles. Took it to a recommended local garage in Swansea. Fitted new cambelt, water pump, idler rollers and ancillary belt. Asked them to keep the parts so I could inspect them ..Everything was perfect with no sign of wear whatsoever. cost me £320.. Seems like the time and mileage recommendations have now changed and nobody has a clue what you are now supposed to do.
Hi GSX1300R
Could you send me a link with the garage details. That price is far more acceptable compared to the five and half that I have recently paid.

Cheers.