Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campaign for no more tax on fuel

Andyclockwise

Andyclockwise

VIP Member
I have been following this campaign for the last few months as I can see diesel going bacl up again in price over the coming months, not because of oil prices but because they want to add more duty !!!

Now that the price of a barrel of oil is dropping, rumours are rife in Westminster that George Osborne might use this as an opportunity to increase fuel duty in his next announcement – and drive fuel prices back up again.

UK Diesel prices are the highest in Europe already, with petrol second.

For 5 years FairFuelUK has campaigned successfully on your behalf to prevent any increase in fuel duty. If it were not for FairFuelUK, pump prices would be at least 20p per litre higher than they are today.

Yet George Osborne still takes nearly 80% in tax of what you pay at the pump every time you fill up your tank.

At FairfuelUK, we have conclusive proof that there is not one single reason for the Treasury to consider ever adding to the most excessive fuel taxes anywhere in the Western World.

But we need your support…

We’d like to bring to your attention a ground-breaking report recently published by the Centre for Economic and Business Research which we commissioned and confirms that the recent lower petrol and diesel prices of 2015 have…

1. Created an extra £11.6 billion of economic activity in the UK
  2. Generated 121,000 jobs
  3. Raised UK GDP by 0.6%
  4. Boosted government tax revenues by £1.3bn

With over 1.2m supporters and the backing of 146 MPs, FairFuelUK continues to fight for fairer taxation and transparent pricing at the pump on your behalf. We’re doing this for every driver in the UK including YOU.

Quentin WilsonFairFuelUK’s Lead Campaigner and popular TV Motoring Journalist, Quentin Willson, says: “This landmark report completely destroys the myth that high fuel duties increase government tax receipts. We’ve proved that keeping duty low actually increases revenues into the Exchequer by improved economic activity, more income tax, more Corporation Tax and VAT. The government must now do everything in its power to lower fuel duty as well as making sure fuel retailers pass on oil price savings to businesses and consumers. The future economic strength of the UK depends on this policy.”

Howard Cox, Founder of FairFuelUK says: “George Osborne should look at this data very carefully. We’ve provided clear evidence that lower fuel and transport costs of 2015 have significantly benefitted everybody and there’s now no argument left but to reduce fuel duty.’”

We need your support now

Please can we have your backing by simply signing up to the campaign at… www.fairfueluk.com .

That’s all we want.

We will only send you campaign updates by email usually when there is a Budget or other similar political activity about to happen. We already have 1.2m supporters and the more of you who join puts pressure on MPs to ensure that we stop any rise in duty ever again.

I’m in Switzerland and prices seem to be going up weekly. There has been no change in tax, only demand.
The stations and the oil companies are trying to maintain their revenues, in spite of the COVID-19 situation.
Smells of exploitation.

Would make more sense to invest the additional duty into development of cleaner fuels.

Sorry.
But I am happy to see a significant increase in fuel duty. I hope to see an increase to try and deter people out of cars and onto bikes/walking more...

Happy to see an increase of 50p of a litre and ideally revenue invested into sustainable travel.

Sorry.
But I am happy to see a significant increase in fuel duty. I hope to see an increase to try and deter people out of cars and onto bikes/walking more...

Happy to see an increase of 50p of a litre and ideally revenue invested into sustainable travel.
It would presumably be much better if nobody travelled at all, just deterring poor people sounds a bit mean. The road to hell...

This isn't about getting people out of vehicles this is so the government can rake in more revenue and like us British people are so stupid to except it :mad::mad:

Just put up income tax.

Just put up income tax.
Would take a guess that most Cali owners are already taxed around 60% unless they are doing some creative accounting; 40% income tax + a further 20% vat on top when you spend that hard earned cash.

Last edited:
It would presumably be much better if nobody travelled at all, just deterring poor people sounds a bit mean. The road to hell...

Thats not what I’m saying...
We can make a massive difference by cutting out all the short unnecessary journeys.
70% of all UK car journeys are less than 5 miles. This is within cycling and walking distances.

This country needs a massive shake up of its transportation system and we need to start by cutting out those short journeys where people drive to the chippy or to pick Hugo up from school and which creates stand still traffic/congestion in our towns and cities.

The only people who will pay more are those who choose to drive.
Therefore it’s fairer system as it’s pay per pollute/use...

The government want taxes. You either pay fuel duty OR pay fuel duty AND pay per mile. A double whammy.
The country needs money so guess who pays?

Thats not what I’m saying...
We can make a massive difference by cutting out all the short unnecessary journeys.
70% of all UK car journeys are less than 5 miles. This is within cycling and walking distances.

This country needs a massive shake up of its transportation system and we need to start by cutting out those short journeys where people drive to the chippy or to pick Hugo up from school and which creates stand still traffic/congestion in our towns and cities.

The only people who will pay more are those who choose to drive.
Therefore it’s fairer system as it’s pay per pollute/use...
Agree on more tax on fuel and less VED with proceeds going to projects like emissions reduction and green transport.
If we invested in insulating the countries housing stock and incentives for green heating that would also make a huge dent in emissions to.
Many people cannot afford to heat their homes never mind invest in insulatation or change the boiler in their homes

Might aswell dig up the forests and start fracking.
Thankfully this is going nowhere. Let’s leave the kiddies some kind of planet.

Sorry.

I think a better way forward would be to tax non-residential parking and highway parking. It seems absurd that people who walk to the supermarket indirectly subsidise facilities for those who drive.

Cycling in cities would be so much nicer if road space for stationary vehicles was given over to bicycle lanes. In some streets local to me broken white lines have even been painted on the pavement to encourage vehicles that aren’t going anywhere to use space originally intended for pedestrians. Madness!

Would take a guess that most Cali owners are already taxed around 60% unless they are doing some creative accounting; 40% income tax + a further 20% vat on top when you spend that hard earned cash.
I don't know about other people and their tax affairs but I'm just a normal every day average paying Joe who pays normal tax.

Might aswell dig up the forests and start fracking.
Thankfully this is going nowhere. Let’s leave the kiddies some kind of planet.
They are already digging up the forests and receiving a handsome subsidy from the taxpayer for doing so:

I have no objection in principle to fuel taxes as a substantial part of the overall tax regime. Taxes on consumption are economically efficient versus income taxes, and consumption tax on fuel specifically has the added benefit of regulating pollution and carbon emissions (even leaving aside the switch-to-EV dimension).

Objections that it's an "attack on motorists" are facile, IMO. The poorest families purchase little or in many cases no petrol or diesel. Public services (and subsidies - obviously now including nearly a year of furlough handouts) have to be paid for somehow and special pleading cuts little ice with me.

If overcooked, fuel taxes can be counter productive from a treasury perspective, if they reduce vehicle use enough to negate the extra tax level. But even then you still get the environmental and social 'externalities' of lower vehicle use - less pollution, better public health from more exercise.

I have no objection in principle to fuel taxes as a substantial part of the overall tax regime. Taxes on consumption are economically efficient versus income taxes, and consumption tax on fuel specifically has the added benefit of regulating pollution and carbon emissions (even leaving aside the switch-to-EV dimension).

Objections that it's an "attack on motorists" are facile, IMO. The poorest families purchase little or in many cases no petrol or diesel. Public services (and subsidies - obviously now including nearly a year of furlough handouts) have to be paid for somehow and special pleading cuts little ice with me.

If overcooked, fuel taxes can be counter productive from a treasury perspective, if they reduce vehicle use enough to negate the extra tax level. But even then you still get the environmental and social 'externalities' of lower vehicle use - less pollution, better public health from more exercise.
The poorest people do not vote, it is that pesky C1/2 demographic that recently abandoned Labour in its former heartlands who get to decide. They will be delighted to give any politician who thinks they should be priced out of their cars a good kicking, democracy is just so awkward.

Sorry.

Can't argue with that but it does remind me that I used to pay about 50p per gallon.

Back