Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campervan Hire in Australia

P

Pixcels

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
When we visited Australia last time to catch up with the family we hired a beaten up van from Jucy which was cheap and cheerful. No real complaints especially considering it was a converted Nissan with 250K on the clock. It did the job.
Any recommendations though for alternatives for our upcoming trip in mid Feb to mid March would be welcome.
We'll be on a budget so I think a sparkly VW may be beyond us.

There's a firm in the South East of Australia called Wicked Campers, but you would have to be pretty brave to hire one. Not because of the quality of the vehicle but because of how they decorate them. wickedcampers.com is their web site. An example of their vehicles is below.
The second picture has a clear phone number on it. We saw a number of their vehicles on the Great Ocean Road.
I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to drive one, but they all looked in good condition and went well.
P1010814.JPG
P1010813.JPG
P1070184.JPG

Our 30 something daughter and three friends hired a Wicked van about five years ago in WA. The van had lot wrong with it. It was also stopped several times by the traffic police who were surprised to find a respectable bunch of professionals on board. I think Jucy is a level above this, but I don’t have any direct knowledge.

She tried to reclaim some of the fees because of the failings but was faced with some pretty evasive tactics. So my advice would be to pay more for a Britz, Maui or Apollo if you can afford it.

Be aware that these companies’ base price doesn’t include some of the extras such as excess cover or underbody insurance. We hired a Britz off road camper a decade ago and these added up to quite a lot. Check out the gross price when booking.

We hired an off-roader because we wanted to go into the National Parks and the regular campers weren’t allowed down the unmetalled roads. It was substantially more expensive but these campsites were an absolute highlight for us. But it was less comfortable and spacious and strictly two berth so choose to suit your itinerary. Other friends have chosen from the more conventional range of campers and been pleased with their choice too

We got hooked on the campervan thing and this eventually led us to buy our Cali!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m afraid you get what you pay for. You need to decide what kind of camping you want and look accordingly. But costs can be high.
Traifinders in the U.K. did Self Drive Campervan packages so could be worth getting their Brochure for some information and costings.

Back