Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ordering once again after cancelling in January

Very interesting reading your post. We bought a used but almost new ocean in May this year. We have stayed a couple of weeks in various locations. However, like you we have come to the conclusion that camping is not really for us. We do though love the days out in the van. Going forward we plan to continue our day use staying in hotels for a few nights with the odd night sleeping in the California. The flexibility of the vehicle is probably it’s greatest strength and we don’t regret buying it. Hope you don’t have to wait too long for yours.

Very interesting reading your post. We bought a used but almost new ocean in May this year. We have stayed a couple of weeks in various locations. However, like you we have come to the conclusion that camping is not really for us. We do though love the days out in the van. Going forward we plan to continue our day use staying in hotels for a few nights with the odd night sleeping in the California. The flexibility of the vehicle is probably it’s greatest strength and we don’t regret buying it. Hope you don’t have to wait too long for yours.
What were your main issues regarding the camping aspects?

Absolutely agree. We hired a camper conversion and whilst it was good, it just isn’t a patch on the Cali. We looked at some (decent) Transporter conversions at some recent shows, but most are priced with a 110bhp engine. When you spec them with a 150 they come out at a similar, or amazingly even higher price than a Cali with an (easily achievable) 9% discount. Taking residuals into account alone, it is a complete no brainer. The only reason I can see people going for a conversion is the Cali layout not suiting or the 12 month wait.
I was told by the rep at the Kundencenter that the wait time is 18 months now. RHD models seem to be arriving sooner though from what i can see.

Toilets and showers very poor.
That is exactly what we found! The first site we stayed on was a C&CC site and was nice but the toilets were a bit old, as were the showers. Was a bit of a trek to them too. The second site we stayed said online “luxury shower block”. They definitely need to research the word “luxury”. They were dirty, poor quality, full of spiders and other bugs and was impossible to get a nice temperature. I think it was that that convinced us it isn’t for us. We are not posh at all, we used to go away in a tent in our younger days, but 35 years of shift work and kids now grown up has allowed us a few more niceties these days, such as being able to buy a Cali! We will absolutely sleep in it, but won’t use it for our main holidays (2 weeks usually) - it’s just not set up for that, for us anyway. I know people do do that and fair play to them, if it suits them. But not for us. We did give it a good go by hiring a bigger van, but however big and luxurious a “van” you have, you’ve still got to use communal shower and toilet blocks or use the ones in your van, with the inevitable emptying of tanks. Hotel with en suite shower and toilet wins for us. Driving a Cali around between hotel stops, taking in the sights, stopping for a brew with a view, a nap, and taking it on walking and cycling trips is what we really want to do.
Which is why I’m ordering it today :)

That is exactly what we found! The first site we stayed on was a C&CC site and was nice but the toilets were a bit old, as were the showers. Was a bit of a trek to them too. The second site we stayed said online “luxury shower block”. They definitely need to research the word “luxury”. They were dirty, poor quality, full of spiders and other bugs and was impossible to get a nice temperature. I think it was that that convinced us it isn’t for us. We are not posh at all, we used to go away in a tent in our younger days, but 35 years of shift work and kids now grown up has allowed us a few more niceties these days, such as being able to buy a Cali! We will absolutely sleep in it, but won’t use it for our main holidays (2 weeks usually) - it’s just not set up for that, for us anyway. I know people do do that and fair play to them, if it suits them. But not for us. We did give it a good go by hiring a bigger van, but however big and luxurious a “van” you have, you’ve still got to use communal shower and toilet blocks or use the ones in your van, with the inevitable emptying of tanks. Hotel with en suite shower and toilet wins for us. Driving a Cali around between hotel stops, taking in the sights, stopping for a brew with a view, a nap, and taking it on walking and cycling trips is what we really want to do.
Which is why I’m ordering it today :)
All good and understandable what you say.
There are though, at least in Austria and Italy, 4-5 star campingsites where the toilet blocks are really really nice. Modern clean showers big enough with an enclosed small changing room with a bench and hangers on the wall so it is very convenient to undress in your own privacy, and everything remains dry while you take a warm shower.
Some places offer you to rent for an additional fee ~10quids a day, a private bathroom within the shower block. So you have a bathroom like you'd have in a hotel room that it is only for you to use.
Some camping sites offer such private bathrooms directly in "Premium" pitches.
As you can imagine this is the best of both worlds...
1634722179528.png

Picking up on comments/ choices of car / camper in that other (very long thread) be interesting to see a true cost/ residual comparison of the big BMW vs the Ocean over time. @Amarillo probably has a suitable WBAC spreadsheet......
There cant be much outhere bar more exotic motors that can match the California at the moment.

Im in the midst of selling ours and im pretty much getting what I paid for it and its a June 2019 T6 Ocean.

Good to see you come back @PhilR !

As you say, that itch still needed to be scratched. :D . Even better to have found just how the Cali works you. Theyre such great day vans with tons of flexibility!

The worst campsite toilets and showers we had this year was in St David’s Wales. They were awful and no male /female demarcation which you sometimes get in France and Spain but not the UK. On top of that they had an (Honestly box) asking for £1 contribution for a shower. It was also a so called Caravan club site which you would expect to be one of the best. Over the years we have stayed in many wonderful sites in France and Spain and we say if you don’t like them just don’t go back but there have never been any that bad.

All good and understandable what you say.
There are though, at least in Austria and Italy, 4-5 star campingsites where the toilet blocks are really really nice. Modern clean showers big enough with an enclosed small changing room with a bench and hangers on the wall so it is very convenient to undress in your own privacy, and everything remains dry while you take a warm shower.
Some places offer you to rent for an additional fee ~10quids a day, a private bathroom within the shower block. So you have a bathroom like you'd have in a hotel room that it is only for you to use.
Some camping sites offer such private bathrooms directly in "Premium" pitches.
As you can imagine this is the best of both worlds...
View attachment 85770
Wow, now I do like the look of that! I haven't done any cycling in Austria or Italy but I will do now :thumb

There cant be much outhere bar more exotic motors that can match the California at the moment.

Im in the midst of selling ours and im pretty much getting what I paid for it and its a June 2019 T6 Ocean.
Selling?! Are you replacing? I remember yours as it was Mojave and one of the reasons we went for that colour originally. Still like it but the car we bought is a similar colour so wanted something a bit different this time.

Welcome Back!
I recall your posts very well as we ordered at similar time!
Interesting to hear your experiences - Ive had my Coast since March & puts a smile on my face everytime I drive as its always an adventure if only just driving down the road to work.

Welcome Back!
I recall your posts very well as we ordered at similar time!
Interesting to hear your experiences - Ive had my Coast since March & puts a smile on my face everytime I drive as its always an adventure if only just driving down the road to work.
Hi Jenny, yes I remember well - I spent far too much time on here and the VW Chat!! March? That was not bad in the end then eh!? Glad you're enjoying it, it's nice to hear positive stuff.

The worst campsite toilets and showers we had this year was in St David’s Wales. They were awful and no male /female demarcation which you sometimes get in France and Spain but not the UK. On top of that they had an (Honestly box) asking for £1 contribution for a shower. It was also a so called Caravan club site which you would expect to be one of the best. Over the years we have stayed in many wonderful sites in France and Spain and we say if you don’t like them just don’t go back but there have never been any that bad.
That's almost a coincidence - the one I mentioned with the (non) luxury showers was just down the road from St Davids! It was one of their "certified" sites iirc rather than an Official one. But still, it was pretty naff.

Selling?! Are you replacing? I remember yours as it was Mojave and one of the reasons we went for that colour originally. Still like it but the car we bought is a similar colour so wanted something a bit different this time.

Aaah yes, bit of a change for us, well for me in truth, almost similar to your good self. Well kind of. its going so I can get my hands on a BMW funnily enough. (lets not go there! lol)

I still love the colour, works a treat with the chrome pack and also with the LED lights complimenting the external appearance. The 18" Toluca wheels helped too. The colour you've opted for is my fav for the T6.1. I love the deep red shine, its got a real classy look to it and those options youve gone for wont half finish the Ocean off a treat!

Roll on 12 months! :D

Just a thought: now it's about the toilets and showers on campsites.. I suspect that many who have ordered a California in the campervan craze of the past year and a half will put their California up for sale. Especially those who will realize that there is an essential difference between an ordinary camper and a campervan such as a vw california.

Another thought, for PhilR: if you are sure now: order because prices have risen considerably and are still rising. The second-hand ones also remain firmly in price as a result.

Aaah yes, bit of a change for us, well for me in truth, almost similar to your good self. Well kind of. its going so I can get my hands on a BMW funnily enough. (lets not go there! lol)

I still love the colour, works a treat with the chrome pack and also with the LED lights complimenting the external appearance. The 18" Toluca wheels helped too. The colour you've opted for is my fav for the T6.1. I love the deep red shine, its got a real classy look to it and those options youve gone for wont half finish the Ocean off a treat!

Roll on 12 months! :D
No definitely don't go there, it'll cause trouble :D

You will (hopefully) get better customer service at BMW though!

Thanks for the comments about the colour and spec. I've pressed the button today and once you've done that you start doubting your choices. I've got plenty of time to think about it and even change some bits if needed, but hopefully we've made the right choice. Trouble is with me, I'm guilty of listening to other people too much, so if someone comes on here and says, for instance, you really should go for Diff Lock, I start researching it and worry about not having it. I don't do this with colours though, as that's purely a personal choice.
Only stuff I'm not 100% sure about is the Driver Assistance Pack. I have traffic sign recognition in the BMW and it's great. I had High Beam Assist on an Audi TTS and it annoyed me slightly, but people seem to rate the VW one. Lane Change/Assist - I'm on the fence with this - had it on our Passat and it was brilliant. On the BM it's nowhere near as good, so much so that I turn it off everytime I drive it. It "pulls" the car quite aggressively and is annoying. So, I've specced the DAP and will see how it is.
Pretty happy with the other options, unless you tell me otherwise of course lol

Just a thought: now it's about the toilets and showers on campsites.. I suspect that many who have ordered a California in the campervan craze of the past year and a half will put their California up for sale. Especially those who will realize that there is an essential difference between an ordinary camper and a campervan such as a vw california.

Another thought, for PhilR: if you are sure now: order because prices have risen considerably and are still rising. The second-hand ones also remain firmly in price as a result.
Ordered today! :cool:

I nearly did the same as you (cancel) after getting frustrated by the wait. I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. I've had my 204 4motion Ocean for three months and love it. I've spent the last few days navigating the crazy narrow & steep rural lanes of Devon covered in wet leaves and mud. Loads of power and grip.

Hi all,
For those that remember me on here this time last year, I told you I change my mind a lot! We ordered our Ocean back in September 2020, but got disillusioned with the whole build date fiasco and eventually pulled the plug on the whole thing. We bought an estate car to replace our outgoing car, instead of the Cali which was going to be the replacement/daily driver. We are over the moon with the car but I still have that camper itch to scratch, so we started looking at secondhand stuff as a 2nd vehicle. We went round and round in circles, and we hired an Adria Twin type van conversion for a week's holiday in September this year, convinced that that was going to be the best option for us. Luckily, hiring that did us a massive favour and made us realise that camping holidays aren't for us. The campsites were ok but I have to be honest and say we both prefer our creature comforts. But what we did love was the day van part of it, pulling up by a mountain or beach, having a brew and a nap, that is what we love. We thought that having permanent standing room would be a game changer, together with an onboard loo and shower, but driving it around the small, busy towns and villages of Pembrokeshire was a pain in the rear, as was parking. I also bumped my head far too many times on the low ceiling from the living area to the cab - I think you get a false sense of security having room to walk around, but getting back to the cab was often met with much foul language!!
So, a Cali again seemed a better option.
A couple of weeks ago we decided to hire a 6.1 Ocean again, just to make sure. We hired one last year but there was something not quite right with that one - it had bits falling off it and the ride was awful, but we later found out that had a lot to do with the 215 tyres. The Ocean we hired a couple of weeks ago felt like a limo in comparison - it had All Season 235's on it and it didn't have any bits falling off! We absolutely loved it as we hired it for a weekend but stayed in a hotel. I know that may seem crazy to some people, but it is the day van part that we most enjoy. When we own one we will certainly sleep in it occasionally, but not all of the time. I like road cycling so I'd happily go off for a few days on my own with my bike and stay in it. But I also wouldn't hesitate to have a hotel for a night or two.
Anyway, since we cancelled our previous order, things have changed and we have sold a holiday home that we had for years, so luckily we are in a financial position that allows us to buy a new one. I've looked at used prices but with the discounts available on new it is a no brainer, other than the year long wait, but that isn't really a problem as we have a few other holidays booked next year - postponed from Covid times!

So we are about to hit the button on the following..... (any advice/opinions ref. options welcome)

204 4 Motion Ocean
Fortana Red
Art Velours seats
Tow-bar prep
Shower attachment
Wood floor
4 keys
17" Woodstocks
235 All weather Tyres
Driver Assistance Package Plus

Considering it is not our main vehicle, we originally thought we'd go with a 150, but once you start looking and configuring it's very tempting to start spending more. The hire one was a 150 and we found it decent power wise, but it was not loaded up at all. We don't want to have any regrets, which is why we're set on the 204 4MO now. I comfort myself with the fact that although we're spending a lot, we'll get to enjoy it more and it will be worth more come resale, although we fully intend this to be a keeper!

Over time I'm hoping to add a few bits to it, such as coilovers, front splitter, side bars etc, nothing too mad but just to personalise it a bit. On the previous order we added some of this stuff as a dealer fit option, but this time I think I'm going to use somewhere that cares about the customer and has an interest in all things Cali. Transporter HQ aren't too far away from us and I like their videos. They seem very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Anyone used them at all?

As a side, my VWCC membership auto renewed in August as I'd forgotten to cancel the renewal. At the time I was annoyed as I had convinced myself a bigger van conversion was what I wanted!
Just goes to show how important it is to hire one and test it thoroughly!!!
Hi,
I have just purchased a new Ocean T6.1 204ps and its pretty well loaded with options. I may well sell it in the Spring as I have ordered another one. What was your timescale for purchase ?

Hi,
I have just purchased a new Ocean T6.1 204ps and its pretty well loaded with options. I may well sell it in the Spring as I have ordered another one. What was your timescale for purchase ?
Forgot to say, my Ocean I just mentioned is Fortana Red metallic.

Hi,
We are happy to wait to be honest as we’ve got other stuff planned for next year anyway, but thanks. Also, with the way the used market is, it’s a no brainer for us to have ordered new with a 9% discount. The only “disadvantage” to ordering new over buying used is timescale!
Can I just ask why you’re looking at buying another one though if yours is the top model and fully loaded?

We are happy to wait to be honest as we’ve got other stuff planned for next year anyway, but thanks. Also, with the way the used market is, it’s a no brainer for us to have ordered new with a 9% discount. The only “disadvantage” to ordering new over buying used is timescale!
Can I just ask why you’re looking at buying another one though if yours is the top model and fully loaded?
Hi,
No problem. I am going to be abroad for business over the next 4-5 months hence I would not really be using the vehicle. I just thought about ordering another one for next year and sell this one meanwhile. I did not really use much this year as it just arrived the wrong side of Summer !
Good luck with your purchase
regards

Hi all,
For those that remember me on here this time last year, I told you I change my mind a lot! We ordered our Ocean back in September 2020, but got disillusioned with the whole build date fiasco and eventually pulled the plug on the whole thing. We bought an estate car to replace our outgoing car, instead of the Cali which was going to be the replacement/daily driver. We are over the moon with the car but I still have that camper itch to scratch, so we started looking at secondhand stuff as a 2nd vehicle. We went round and round in circles, and we hired an Adria Twin type van conversion for a week's holiday in September this year, convinced that that was going to be the best option for us. Luckily, hiring that did us a massive favour and made us realise that camping holidays aren't for us. The campsites were ok but I have to be honest and say we both prefer our creature comforts. But what we did love was the day van part of it, pulling up by a mountain or beach, having a brew and a nap, that is what we love. We thought that having permanent standing room would be a game changer, together with an onboard loo and shower, but driving it around the small, busy towns and villages of Pembrokeshire was a pain in the rear, as was parking. I also bumped my head far too many times on the low ceiling from the living area to the cab - I think you get a false sense of security having room to walk around, but getting back to the cab was often met with much foul language!!
So, a Cali again seemed a better option.
A couple of weeks ago we decided to hire a 6.1 Ocean again, just to make sure. We hired one last year but there was something not quite right with that one - it had bits falling off it and the ride was awful, but we later found out that had a lot to do with the 215 tyres. The Ocean we hired a couple of weeks ago felt like a limo in comparison - it had All Season 235's on it and it didn't have any bits falling off! We absolutely loved it as we hired it for a weekend but stayed in a hotel. I know that may seem crazy to some people, but it is the day van part that we most enjoy. When we own one we will certainly sleep in it occasionally, but not all of the time. I like road cycling so I'd happily go off for a few days on my own with my bike and stay in it. But I also wouldn't hesitate to have a hotel for a night or two.
Anyway, since we cancelled our previous order, things have changed and we have sold a holiday home that we had for years, so luckily we are in a financial position that allows us to buy a new one. I've looked at used prices but with the discounts available on new it is a no brainer, other than the year long wait, but that isn't really a problem as we have a few other holidays booked next year - postponed from Covid times!

So we are about to hit the button on the following..... (any advice/opinions ref. options welcome)

204 4 Motion Ocean
Fortana Red
Art Velours seats
Tow-bar prep
Shower attachment
Wood floor
4 keys
17" Woodstocks
235 All weather Tyres
Driver Assistance Package Plus

Considering it is not our main vehicle, we originally thought we'd go with a 150, but once you start looking and configuring it's very tempting to start spending more. The hire one was a 150 and we found it decent power wise, but it was not loaded up at all. We don't want to have any regrets, which is why we're set on the 204 4MO now. I comfort myself with the fact that although we're spending a lot, we'll get to enjoy it more and it will be worth more come resale, although we fully intend this to be a keeper!

Over time I'm hoping to add a few bits to it, such as coilovers, front splitter, side bars etc, nothing too mad but just to personalise it a bit. On the previous order we added some of this stuff as a dealer fit option, but this time I think I'm going to use somewhere that cares about the customer and has an interest in all things Cali. Transporter HQ aren't too far away from us and I like their videos. They seem very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Anyone used them at all?

As a side, my VWCC membership auto renewed in August as I'd forgotten to cancel the renewal. At the time I was annoyed as I had convinced myself a bigger van conversion was what I wanted!
Just goes to show how important it is to hire one and test it thoroughly!!!
Absolutely love this.
I’ve had the joy of owning a brand new 6.1 for 4 months and I loved it.
But the seats were uncomfy for my bad back.
I am seriously considering ordering again a white 4Motion in White.
I am wondering how easy it would be to change the seats ?
My current Velar has my £6k deposit and more increasing in price as a 2nd hand vehicle.
But
I miss my Cali. I loved the day trip setup.
So easy to drive and park.
We hired a 7.4M Carado Motor home and it was awesome.
But it was huge and in The Lakes, so difficult to park and find places to park.
Whereas a Cali would slot right in.
Like you, we enjoy our B&B’s and cottages.
And for £100k we would get a lot of Cottage rentals for 20 years for that !
Good on you @PhilR
I’m so tempted myself. I still have an itch for the Cali. Buzz Lightyear looks so lonely sitting on the side of my desk !
If I could install comfier seats then I’d pull the trigger too !
I wonder if I could get seats that are electric and install those ?

@PhilR where did you order from ? And what % discount did you get ?

Back