Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ordering once again after cancelling in January

PhilR

PhilR

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi all,
For those that remember me on here this time last year, I told you I change my mind a lot! We ordered our Ocean back in September 2020, but got disillusioned with the whole build date fiasco and eventually pulled the plug on the whole thing. We bought an estate car to replace our outgoing car, instead of the Cali which was going to be the replacement/daily driver. We are over the moon with the car but I still have that camper itch to scratch, so we started looking at secondhand stuff as a 2nd vehicle. We went round and round in circles, and we hired an Adria Twin type van conversion for a week's holiday in September this year, convinced that that was going to be the best option for us. Luckily, hiring that did us a massive favour and made us realise that camping holidays aren't for us. The campsites were ok but I have to be honest and say we both prefer our creature comforts. But what we did love was the day van part of it, pulling up by a mountain or beach, having a brew and a nap, that is what we love. We thought that having permanent standing room would be a game changer, together with an onboard loo and shower, but driving it around the small, busy towns and villages of Pembrokeshire was a pain in the rear, as was parking. I also bumped my head far too many times on the low ceiling from the living area to the cab - I think you get a false sense of security having room to walk around, but getting back to the cab was often met with much foul language!!
So, a Cali again seemed a better option.
A couple of weeks ago we decided to hire a 6.1 Ocean again, just to make sure. We hired one last year but there was something not quite right with that one - it had bits falling off it and the ride was awful, but we later found out that had a lot to do with the 215 tyres. The Ocean we hired a couple of weeks ago felt like a limo in comparison - it had All Season 235's on it and it didn't have any bits falling off! We absolutely loved it as we hired it for a weekend but stayed in a hotel. I know that may seem crazy to some people, but it is the day van part that we most enjoy. When we own one we will certainly sleep in it occasionally, but not all of the time. I like road cycling so I'd happily go off for a few days on my own with my bike and stay in it. But I also wouldn't hesitate to have a hotel for a night or two.
Anyway, since we cancelled our previous order, things have changed and we have sold a holiday home that we had for years, so luckily we are in a financial position that allows us to buy a new one. I've looked at used prices but with the discounts available on new it is a no brainer, other than the year long wait, but that isn't really a problem as we have a few other holidays booked next year - postponed from Covid times!

So we are about to hit the button on the following..... (any advice/opinions ref. options welcome)

204 4 Motion Ocean
Fortana Red
Art Velours seats
Tow-bar prep
Shower attachment
Wood floor
4 keys
17" Woodstocks
235 All weather Tyres
Driver Assistance Package Plus

Considering it is not our main vehicle, we originally thought we'd go with a 150, but once you start looking and configuring it's very tempting to start spending more. The hire one was a 150 and we found it decent power wise, but it was not loaded up at all. We don't want to have any regrets, which is why we're set on the 204 4MO now. I comfort myself with the fact that although we're spending a lot, we'll get to enjoy it more and it will be worth more come resale, although we fully intend this to be a keeper!

Over time I'm hoping to add a few bits to it, such as coilovers, front splitter, side bars etc, nothing too mad but just to personalise it a bit. On the previous order we added some of this stuff as a dealer fit option, but this time I think I'm going to use somewhere that cares about the customer and has an interest in all things Cali. Transporter HQ aren't too far away from us and I like their videos. They seem very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Anyone used them at all?

As a side, my VWCC membership auto renewed in August as I'd forgotten to cancel the renewal. At the time I was annoyed as I had convinced myself a bigger van conversion was what I wanted!
Just goes to show how important it is to hire one and test it thoroughly!!!

Hi Phil,

I remember you, you ordered at the same time as me. I picked mine up at the end of April, 6000 miles in and loving it. Its also used primarily as a day van for us and we love it for that reason, also makes a fairly cool home office for the days when i want a different view.

Hi Phil,

I remember you, you ordered at the same time as me. I picked mine up at the end of April, 6000 miles in and loving it. Its also used primarily as a day van for us and we love it for that reason, also makes a fairly cool home office for the days when i want a different view.
Hi mate, that's great to hear, glad you're enjoying it. Yes, mobile office a definite plus point and something I can definitely do in my job.

Hi all,
For those that remember me on here this time last year, I told you I change my mind a lot! We ordered our Ocean back in September 2020, but got disillusioned with the whole build date fiasco and eventually pulled the plug on the whole thing. We bought an estate car to replace our outgoing car, instead of the Cali which was going to be the replacement/daily driver. We are over the moon with the car but I still have that camper itch to scratch, so we started looking at secondhand stuff as a 2nd vehicle. We went round and round in circles, and we hired an Adria Twin type van conversion for a week's holiday in September this year, convinced that that was going to be the best option for us. Luckily, hiring that did us a massive favour and made us realise that camping holidays aren't for us. The campsites were ok but I have to be honest and say we both prefer our creature comforts. But what we did love was the day van part of it, pulling up by a mountain or beach, having a brew and a nap, that is what we love. We thought that having permanent standing room would be a game changer, together with an onboard loo and shower, but driving it around the small, busy towns and villages of Pembrokeshire was a pain in the rear, as was parking. I also bumped my head far too many times on the low ceiling from the living area to the cab - I think you get a false sense of security having room to walk around, but getting back to the cab was often met with much foul language!!
A couple of weeks ago we decided to hire a 6.1 Ocean again, just to make sure. We hired one last year but there was something not quite right with that one - it had bits falling off it and the ride was awful, but we later found out that had a lot to do with the 215 tyres. The Ocean we hired a couple of weeks ago felt like a limo in comparison - it had All Season 235's on it and it didn't have any bits falling off! We absolutely loved it as we hired it for a weekend but stayed in a hotel. I know that may seem crazy to some people, but it is the day van part that we most enjoy. When we own one we will certainly sleep in it occasionally, but not all of the time. I like road cycling so I'd happily go off for a few days on my own with my bike and stay in it. But I also wouldn't hesitate to have a hotel for a night or two.
Anyway, since we cancelled our previous order, things have changed and we have sold a holiday home that we had for years, so luckily we are in a financial position that allows us to buy a new one. I've looked at used prices but with the discounts available on new it is a no brainer, other than the year long wait, but that isn't really a problem as we have a few other holidays booked next year - postponed from Covid times!

So we are about to hit the button on the following..... (any advice/opinions ref. options welcome)

204 4 Motion Ocean
Fortana Red
Art Velours seats
Tow-bar prep
Shower attachment
Wood floor
4 keys
17" Woodstocks
235 All weather Tyres

Considering it is not our main vehicle, we originally thought we'd go with a 150, but once you start looking and configuring it's very tempting to start spending more. The hire one was a 150 and we found it decent power wise, but it was not loaded up at all. We don't want to have any regrets, which is why we're set on the 204 4MO now. I comfort myself with the fact that although we're spending a lot, we'll get to enjoy it more and it will be worth more come resale, although we fully intend this to be a keeper!

Over time I'm hoping to add a few bits to it, such as coilovers, front splitter, side bars etc, nothing too mad but just to personalise it a bit. On the previous order we added some of this stuff as a dealer fit option, but this time I think I'm going to use somewhere that cares about the customer and has an interest in all things Cali. Transporter HQ aren't too far away from us and I like their videos. They seem very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Anyone used them at all?

As a side, my VWCC membership auto renewed in August as I'd forgotten to cancel the renewal. At the time I was annoyed as I had convinced myself a bigger van conversion was what I wanted!
Hi Phil, I remember you dilemmas last year. I also placed an order on an Indium Grey 204 4Motion in September 2020. It was written of by the dealer in June. Although fearful of creating another classic Ocean v Beach debate, I was wondering (based on the way you described you planned to use the van) if you considered the Beach? I too had 'experiences and realisations' during the wait and as a result placed a new order in July 2021 for a Beach. Obviously, only available in the 150 version but what are your thoughts?

Hi all,

204 4 Motion Ocean
Fortana Red
Art Velours seats
Tow-bar prep
Shower attachment
Wood floor
4 keys
17" Woodstocks
235 All weather Tyres

Welcome back and good call @PhilR :thumb

One item to consider - the colour. If you like to wild camp and want to be discrete and not stick out like a sore thumb, consider something lighter. Anyways, it is what's inside that matters - outside is just a colour.

Enjoy and all the best.

When configuring our new van we decided on the red bellows to go with the red metallic paint. I think it looks terrific. Kept the seats standard as we will have covers from new and nobody will see the seats. Also floor as standard as we will put a carpet in from new.
Everyone has a different idea and because we have had our other van for over 6 years you just get to know what you want and what you don’t want.

One item to consider - the colour. If you like to wild camp and want to be discrete and not stick out like a sore thumb, consider something lighter. Anyways, it is what's inside that matters - outside is just a colour.

Enjoy and all the best.
Personally I think it’s the colour that attracts you in the first place. We have had red on our original van and absolutely love it. Have gone for metallic red on the new van for the same reason.

Hi Phil, I remember you dilemmas last year. I also placed an order on an Indium Grey 204 4Motion in September 2020. It was written of by the dealer in June. Although fearful of creating another classic Ocean v Beach debate, I was wondering (based on the way you described you planned to use the van) if you considered the Beach? I too had 'experiences and realisations' during the wait and as a result placed a new order in July 2021 for a Beach. Obviously, only available in the 150 version but what are your thoughts?
Oh no, that's unbelievable bad luck, you must have been gutted. Although from what you're saying it may be a blessing in disguise.

To be honest that's where this all began, thinking about a Beach this time. However we really like that fact that the Ocean has the kitchen in place and everything to hand all of the time. I see the benefits of the Beach but we prefer the Ocean overall. I know there's a good saving but my theory is the more you pay, the more you get back.... sort of :-/

Enjoy and all the best.
Cheers mate, glad to be back on here again!!

Depends where you wild camp doesn't it ;)

Hi all,

204 4 Motion Ocean
Fortana Red
Art Velours seats
Tow-bar prep
Shower attachment
Wood floor
4 keys
17" Woodstocks
235 All weather Tyres

Welcome back Phil.

Your spec is similar to ours which we picked up at the end of April. No tow bar, shower or DAP though. We think the colour is amazing, particularly in the sunshine. 5000 miles in, and all good.

Have toyed with changing to 18" wheels and lower profile tyres, but the 17" Woodstock's on 235 all season tyres are fine.

Having waited so long for your last van, only to cancel, you should have no problem waiting this time if it's what you really want. You never know, delivery times might improve into 2022.

Press that button !

Hi all,

204 4 Motion Ocean
Fortana Red
Art Velours seats
Tow-bar prep
Shower attachment
Wood floor
4 keys
17" Woodstocks
235 All weather Tyres

Maybe it was just us, but we bumped our heads getting out of our Ocean on several occasions! Just like you, we enjoyed staying in the odd hotel as well as camping trips, and by the way found it one of the best vehicles for everyday driving and long journeys. It does sound from your post that you'd be just as happy with a Beach, but see the temptation to have a really high specification van. Wish you many happy camping trips. We've just sold our van and already have a couple of Glamping Pod stays booked so that we don't lose the camping adventures completely.

Welcome back Phil.

Your spec is similar to ours which we picked up at the end of April. No tow bar, shower or DAP though. We think the colour is amazing, particularly in the sunshine. 5000 miles in, and all good.

Have toyed with changing to 18" wheels and lower profile tyres, but the 17" Woodstock's on 235 all season tyres are fine.

Having waited so long for your last van, only to cancel, you should have no problem waiting this time if it's what you really want. You never know, delivery times might improve into 2022.

Press that button !
Your pictures were some that helped us decide on Fortana! We did consider Mojave again but wife was never 100% on that. Great to hear you like the colour. I've only seen 1 in the flesh, and that was a Kombi van, which looked nice but not special, but that was probably because it was a basic van.
Whichever colour you decide on I think you're always going to question it to yourself....

Maybe it was just us, but we bumped our heads getting out of our Ocean on several occasions! Just like you, we enjoyed staying in the odd hotel as well as camping trips, and by the way found it one of the best vehicles for everyday driving and long journeys. It does sound from your post that you'd be just as happy with a Beach, but see the temptation to have a really high specification van. Wish you many happy camping trips. We've just sold our van and already have a couple of Glamping Pod stays booked so that we don't lose the camping adventures completely.
Thanks. After what you and jMacdent have said, I've been busy on the configurator with a Beach, but we've decided to stick with the Ocean. We just love the "Swiss Army Knife" style it has!
ps. The configurator has gone downhill......what a pile of c***!! How anyone who doesn't know much about Cali's could configure one properly is a mystery.

ps. The configurator has gone downhill......what a pile of c***!! How anyone who doesn't know much about Cali's could configure one properly is a mystery.
oh it's already starting. Don't cancel immediately and buy a beemer again :D
Nice colour and be sure: colour is important because you look at your pride and joy at least as much as you are in it.

Last edited:
Picking up on comments/ choices of car / camper in that other (very long thread) be interesting to see a true cost/ residual comparison of the big BMW vs the Ocean over time. @Amarillo probably has a suitable WBAC spreadsheet......

Picking up on comments/ choices of car / camper in that other (very long thread) be interesting to see a true cost/ residual comparison of the big BMW vs the Ocean over time.
I know, and accept that there’ll be no comparison!!

Thanks. After what you and jMacdent have said, I've been busy on the configurator with a Beach, but we've decided to stick with the Ocean. We just love the "Swiss Army Knife" style it has!
You'll find that the Ocean probably holds its value better as it's the cult vehicle of the camping world. Just saying you've got one makes you feel good!

Hey welcome back Phil. Good luck with your wait, its worth it.

Your pictures were some that helped us decide on Fortana! We did consider Mojave again but wife was never 100% on that. Great to hear you like the colour. I've only seen 1 in the flesh, and that was a Kombi van, which looked nice but not special, but that was probably because it was a basic van.
Whichever colour you decide on I think you're always going to question it to yourself....
We have a focus ST in the new metallic red and absolutely love it. We have had many many comments on what a lovely colour it is. I personally love a vehicle where the colour stands out but would probably draw the line at Orange or yellow but l know there are some that love them both.

I'm 11 months into my wait and I feel the anticipation beginning the rise as delivery day gets closer. Hopefully this will be a very Merry Christmas. I finally got to see a Cali in person for the first time when I visited the Kundencenter in Hanover last week. It just oozes quality so absolutely no regrets. I would say the only thing that let the side down were the door cards in that scratchy hard plastic.

I'm 11 months into my wait and I feel the anticipation beginning the rise as delivery day gets closer. Hopefully this will be a very Merry Christmas. I finally got to see a Cali in person for the first time when I visited the Kundencenter in Hanover last week. It just oozes quality so absolutely no regrets. I would say the only thing that let the side down were the door cards in that scratchy hard plastic.
Absolutely agree. We hired a camper conversion and whilst it was good, it just isn’t a patch on the Cali. We looked at some (decent) Transporter conversions at some recent shows, but most are priced with a 110bhp engine. When you spec them with a 150 they come out at a similar, or amazingly even higher price than a Cali with an (easily achievable) 9% discount. Taking residuals into account alone, it is a complete no brainer. The only reason I can see people going for a conversion is the Cali layout not suiting or the 12 month wait.

Welcome back Phil I would go for white, then at least you can get it wrapped it you change your mind

Back