Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campervan or Motorhome

Lesley Dale

Lesley Dale

Anastasia
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I’m a little confused as to whether my Cali is a Campervan or a Motorhome. This question is often asked when I’m booking on to a Camping site! Can anyone clarify this this for me please....

I’m a little confused as to whether my Cali is a Campervan or a Motorhome. This question is often asked when I’m booking on to a Camping site! Can anyone clarify this this for me please....
Campervan.
Motorhome are basically the Big Whites, normally Coach Built on a cab chassis and larger. But there is a grey area such as the Grand California which is based on a full van but larger than the California Transporter Series.
On your V5c Reg Document it could have Body Type Motor Home/Motor Caravan as i'm not sure DVLA use the term Campervan.

Hi.... Thanks for your quick reply. I have attached an example of what I mean when booking in to a site:

BB1C2076-D457-4C37-849A-AF25FDE9C81E.png

Thank you Loz.... Had this problem when booking on the Ferry to Ireland & it does make a difference to what they charge you! Some charge the same length as a car & others as a Motorhome.... very confusing!

Thank you Loz.... Had this problem when booking on the Ferry to Ireland & it does make a difference to what they charge you! Some charge the same length as a car & others as a Motorhome.... very confusing!
Sometimes you can get away with booking as a VW transporter which is even cheaper in some instances grey area has been discussed on here in the past.

No, you haven't, and it's a camper van unless offered only a caravan/motorhome choice in which case its a MH :)
On the continent many camper vans don't even have windows aft of the B pillar and it is not a problem, rather different in the UK with most camp sites banning them, presumably for being poor.

I try to get my van as 'car' as much as possible (not in this case), as it is actually a VW Multivan, with some non-IKEA stuff inside (and a higher rooftop).

Campervan.
Motorhome are basically the Big Whites, normally Coach Built on a cab chassis and larger. But there is a grey area such as the Grand California which is based on a full van but larger than the California Transporter Series.
On your V5c Reg Document it could have Body Type Motor Home/Motor Caravan as i'm not sure DVLA use the term Campervan.

Mines a Motorhome and it aint a ‘Big whitey’
Campervan.

Ha ha not all Motorhomes are equal, or White........A167ED0E-A007-42E0-BBE8-4CA6089483B3.jpeg

Unfortunately Karmann stopped making the ‘Colorado’ a few year back.
I ‘face-lifted’ this one last year so it brings it bang up to date, only 4 known to have been produced in this colour

Yes Coachbuilt on a combination of VW and Alko chassis

Unfortunately Karmann stopped making the ‘Colorado’ a few year back.
I ‘face-lifted’ this one last year so it brings it bang up to date, only 4 known to have been produced in this colour
Ok cool, good job

That's how not to empty the fridge

Screenshot_20230428-171700_Chrome.jpg

Saw this on FBM:

IMG_3410.png

Back