Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the Grand California a campervan or motorhome?

Simon1

Simon1

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Is there a definitive definition of a campervan and motorhome or is there a grey area where they merge and can be classed as either? Some insurance sites have different links for motorhome and campervan insurance and I don't know which to use.

Is there a definitive definition of a campervan and motorhome or is there a grey area where they merge and can be classed as either? Some insurance sites have different links for motorhome and campervan insurance and I don't know which to use.
What does your V5c say under Body Type?

Motor Caravan, Guess that is motorhome? What does it say on a campervan v5?

Motor Caravan, Guess that is motorhome? What does it say on a campervan v5?
My 6.1 Ocean is;

D.5 Body Type - Motor Caravan
[X] Taxation Class - Private/Light Goods
J: Vehicle category - M1

In V5 terms there isn't such a thing as a Campervan.

In V5 terms there isn't such a thing as a Campervan.
My understanding is if it says Private light goods on the V5 it's a campervan and if Private HGV then it's a motorhome, but still unsure hence this thread.

My understanding is if it says Private light goods on the V5 it's a campervan and if Private HGV then it's a motorhome, but still unsure hence this thread.
Why does it matter? as far as DVLA are concerned there is a body type of Motor Caravan & that's it.

Why does it matter? as far as DVLA are concerned there is a body type of Motor Caravan & that's it.
When you're looking for insurance there are 2 sections on a lot of sites one for Campervan insurance and another for Motorhome insurance and just wanted to know which to go on. If it were anything other than insurance I wouldn't mind but I don't want to insure it as a camper if it's technically a motorhome or vise versa.

At 3.5tnne + it would normally be referred to as a Motor Home.
Whilst there is no official definition I would suggest most people would agree that generally a van conversion with no shower / fixed toilet is a campervan & anything with either a coachbuilt body and/or fitted toilet etc is a motorhome. As long as you give them the correct model name & correct numberplate the insurance company should be able to work it out for themselves.

At 3.5tnne + it would normally be referred to as a Motor Home.
Whilst there is no official definition I would suggest most people would agree that generally a van conversion with no shower / fixed toilet is a campervan & anything with either a coachbuilt body and/or fitted toilet etc is a motorhome. As long as you give them the correct model name & correct numberplate the insurance company should be able to work it out for themselves.
On the Gov speed limit page is distinguishes between Motorhome and Motor caravan, don't know what that means.
'Motorhomes or motor caravans (more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight)'

Have VW insurance and they insure it as I Campervan but DVLA class it as a MPV

Motorhome has fixed bed and separate room for shower and loo, in my opinion.
It’s only a name you can call your van whatever you like, I use to call mine a camper home :D

Just been told categorically by an insurance company that the GC is classed as a campervan. Sounded like she knew what she was talking about.

Just been told categorically by an insurance company that the GC is classed as a campervan. Sounded like she knew what she was talking about.
Safeguard have separate insurance policies for motorhomes and campervans. The motorhome policy has 365 day European cover and higher contents value cover, their Campervan policy only has 90 days European cover. My Cali ocean is therefore insured under their motorhome policy.

Safeguard have separate insurance policies for motorhomes and campervans. The motorhome policy has 365 day European cover and higher contents value cover, their Campervan policy only has 90 days European cover. My Cali ocean is therefore insured under their motorhome policy.
Campervan has max 90 days in any one trip then return to UK for as little 1 day to reset the 90 day count.

Not important now as from Jan 2021 only 90 days in 6 months permitted in EU unless a Visa is in place.

Campervan has max 90 days in any one trip then return to UK for as little 1 day to reset the 90 day count.

Not important now as from Jan 2021 only 90 days in 6 months permitted in EU unless a Visa is in place.

Yes, and the motorhome had 365 days continuous. I think maybe Comfort are the same, but it depends upon the underwriter.

You can still stay in Europe for longer than 90 days without a visa, just not Schengen, so it’s still useful for me, possibly with a green card.

Back