Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping holidays set to return...

Chap from CMC was on Radio 4 this afternoon, seemed pretty confident sites would be open from 4th July.
I have little doubt that campsites will reopen soon enough, (I can’t understand why self-catering park homes and holiday cottages had to close in the first place), but what restrictions, if any, might be placed on campsites, especially at shared facilities.

It may be something as simple as a wall mounted disinfectant container and a cheap paper dispenser in every WC cubicle, and a sign, “please wipe seat before and after use”.

It's not bollox. Google it. Preferrably before yelling bollox ;-) R has been under 1 for weeks in Germany. Monday it was at 1.13. They have had some regional outbreaks and have regional lockdowns because of it.

@westfalia I have to apologise. I thought the 'bollox' was directed towards my post, but now see it wasn't. I seem to have made a mistake there. Entschuldigung. ;-)

Judging by the number of caravans & motorhomes towing car trailers that I saw on the M25 & M40 today, anyone would think campsites have already reopened.

We’re camping on the drive again one night this week. It’s amazing how excited the kids get. They want the awning up, so they can sleep “outside”.

I do hope that when sites reopen, folk will be sensible....

I think there is a very, very slim chance that we could visit
foreign lands this summer.

What you could do though is a camping trip up the Rhein cooking
italian food, make sure that you are obnoxious as you plate it up and
deliver it, then charge yourself a fortune for the food.

On your way home just throw a few quid out of the window, and hey presto,
you'll think you've been to Italy :)
Yep, personally i’m saving up my money to go later in the year or even next year across to continental Europe.. as soon as borders are opened...

[QUOTE="alan middleton, post: 421831, member: 16283"

[/QUOTE]

That’s funny!! Have you met any of the general public?

I would rather see all borders closed (Exception of freight) until later in the year...
As much as I really want to get over to Switzerland & Austria again this year.
Ive decided to stay here in Blighty. We have some amazing varied coastline and mountain areas to explore.
Plus, I’m sure our economy could do with the cash.
#CharityBeginsAtHome...

We’re camping on the drive again one night this week. It’s amazing how excited the kids get. They want the awning up, so they can sleep “outside”.

This highlights what we've found over the last couple of years camping with our grandchildren. You don't have to drive to the other end of the country, getting stuck in traffic jams, taking loads of paraphernalia etc to have fun with kids, well and yourself. Pull down the blinds, get out the board games, put on some music, open a bottle of wine? You could be anywhere. The cosy feeling of being in a Cali takes some beating. Save Fuel, save the planet, have Cali fun!

[/QUOTE]

This highlights what we've found over the last couple of years camping with our grandchildren. You don't have to drive to the other end of the country, getting stuck in traffic jams, taking loads of paraphernalia etc to have fun with kids, well and yourself. Pull down the blinds, get out the board games, put on some music, open a bottle of wine? You could be anywhere. The cosy feeling of being in a Cali takes some beating. Save Fuel, save the planet, have Cali fun!
[/QUOTE]

We started to do this for Bank Holidays many years ago.
Got sick of being stuck hours on end in bank holiday traffic. Now we stay within 1hr of home.
So many nice little places we have found and we don’t spend half of the bank holiday weekend stuck in traffic...

I would rather see all borders closed (Exception of freight) until later in the year...
As much as I really want to get over to Switzerland & Austria again this year.
Ive decided to stay here in Blighty. We have some amazing varied coastline and mountain areas to explore.
Plus, I’m sure our economy could do with the cash.
#CharityBeginsAtHome...
Agree absolutely, opening borders early is too much of a risk for us.

[/QUOTE]
Sorry but that completely defeats the purpose of a Cali or any leisure vehicle. If you find what you describe "fun" get a summerhouse and stay at home in that. I think you've wasted a lot of money on a static object. I have a Cali as I'm sure do many to see as many different places as possible.

We started to do this for Bank Holidays many years ago.
Got sick of being stuck hours on end in bank holiday traffic. Now we stay within 1hr of home.
So many nice little places we have found and we don’t spend half of the bank holiday weekend stuck in traffic...
[/QUOTE]
The one hour target is great.
Kids don't consider five hours motorway travel fun. What they do consider fun is kicking a football around in a big open grass field, flying a kite or sitting around a fire pit in the evening roasting marshmallows, that's kids fun. And for Mum and Dad, they can relax knowing the return journey is an hour or less.
We found a site that ticks those boxes for us just near Oxford. Another important aspect for us also is that the pitch allocation instructions are, anywhere you want in that big field.

The one hour target is great.
Kids don't consider five hours motorway travel fun. What they do consider fun is kicking a football around in a big open grass field, flying a kite or sitting around a fire pit in the evening roasting marshmallows, that's kids fun. And for Mum and Dad, they can relax knowing the return journey is an hour or less.
We found a site that ticks those boxes for us just near Oxford. Another important aspect for us also is that the pitch allocation instructions are, anywhere you want in that big field.

We like a swimming pool in the south of France or northern Spain where it is nice a warm.

Leave home at 5pm, on Le Shuttle at 6.30. Packed supper and boys into pyjamas while on the train. Drive while the boys doze or sleep. Motorway aire overnight. Arrive at campsite late morning or early afternoon the next day.

We can cover 1000 miles within 24 hours.

We like a swimming pool in the south of France or northern Spain where it is nice a warm.

Leave home at 5pm, on Le Shuttle at 6.30. Packed supper and boys into pyjamas while on the train. Drive while the boys doze or sleep. Motorway aire overnight. Arrive at campsite late morning or early afternoon the next day.

We can cover 1000 miles within 24 hours.
that is more like it

Sorry but that completely defeats the purpose of a Cali or any leisure vehicle. If you find what you describe "fun" get a summerhouse and stay at home in that. I think you've wasted a lot of money on a static object. I have a Cali as I'm sure do many to see as many different places as possible.
[/QUOTE]
Sorry but that completely shows you've missed one of those bonus extras of owning a Cali. Perhaps that's because you haven't got young children or grandchildren. The pleasure of them asking " Can we sleep in the camper tonight Grandad " is magic.
We are very lucky, very lucky. As you suggested, we have also bought a Kota, (an Arctic cabin) and converted that for sleeping in the garden. Also, we have managed regularly to do 50 nights year away in our camper, and have toured the whole coast of the UK wild camping, finding many stunning places to overnight.
The request, can we sleep in the camper tonight Grandad, be it only just outside the house, is a no-cost Cali extra! Just an extra!

Looking at the stats, you would be less at risk travelling out of
the UK.
Regardless of any stats under current circumstances it’s unlikely we will go outside of the UK this year.

Sorry but that completely shows you've missed one of those bonus extras of owning a Cali. Perhaps that's because you haven't got young children or grandchildren. The pleasure of them asking " Can we sleep in the camper tonight Grandad " is magic.
We are very lucky, very lucky. As you suggested, we have also bought a Kota, (an Arctic cabin) and converted that for sleeping in the garden. Also, we have managed regularly to do 50 nights year away in our camper, and have toured the whole coast of the UK wild camping, finding many stunning places to overnight.
The request, can we sleep in the camper tonight Grandad, be it only just outside the house, is a no-cost Cali extra! Just an extra!
[/QUOTE]
I have a 2 and a 4 year old and can barely get away with a trip within the confines of the UK... They are accustomed already to our road trips and actively want to go on them. Sadly, they are being deprived of this because of the BS scandemic and affront to civil liberties we are being asked to endure right now. As soon as we can travel overseas we will be.

I have a 2 and a 4 year old and can barely get away with a trip within the confines of the UK... They are accustomed already to our road trips and actively want to go on them. Sadly, they are being deprived of this because of the BS scandemic and affront to civil liberties we are being asked to endure right now. As soon as we can travel overseas we will be.
I have a five and six year old itching to get away in our Beach. We were due to go away tomorrow for eleven nights in northern Spain for half term. Instead we'll camp Friday night on our driveway.

However, the campsites will re-open soon. The lives of ~40,000 in the UK alone have been lost forever, and who knows how many more would have been lost if camping were allowed throughout the lockdown period. I expect it's a relatively small number, tens rather than hundreds or thousands. But on balance, it is probably right.

White Horse Hill ?
Have you tried The Pig Place bear Aynho?
Similar vibe but mush smaller, right on the canal.

Back