Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping in 2021does not bode well!

Recipe books drive me nuts.

I'm almost all metric so what the hell in weight is "half a cup" or "8 ounces" and in fluids "two tablespoons"? although that also may be "Half a cup" which relates roughly to 1.8 ISO wine tasting glasses if you use 8oz cups although Starbucks normally start at 12oz.

I'm almost all metric so what the hell in weight is "half a cup" or "8 ounces" and in fluids "two tablespoons"? although that also may be "Half a cup" which relates roughly to 1.8 ISO wine tasting glasses if you use 8oz cups although Starbucks normally start at 12oz.
Looks like I started something here unintentionally. As an academic research chemist all my working measurements are metric. But I love Imperial units, they are full of history. My view is not to get stressed about them and be flexible and happy. For "cups" and "tablespoons" one can easily buy standard measures. Great fun.

Looks like I started something here unintentionally. As an academic research chemist all my working measurements are metric. But I love Imperial units, they are full of history. My view is not to get stressed about them and be flexible and happy. For "cups" and "tablespoons" one can easily buy standard measures. Great fun.
Babies weight is always measured in pounds and ounces. Sea distance/speed is measured in nautical miles and depth in meters, custom and usage is a strong force.

I agree to the point where I ask the Google thing in the kitchen "how much is three bushels in litres?"

Bring back the rod, pole or perch and the chain.

Aged 7 in 1960, I remember Miss Hayball giving a viveting maths lesson on the school playing field about these two frequently used measurements.

I think we have to be patient a year or two. People who go to campsites leave empty rooms in hotels and holiday flats. These will drop prices/increase service to lure people back. When for 10 quids more per night you have room cleaned for you, proper own bathroom with big shower, breakfast cooked for you, no washing up to do, no emptying the portapotti , no ehu, ramps, water canisters, blowing awning jadajadajada people will not come to campsites and situation will readjust.

Topic of this thread is the concern about over demand compared to available campsites. But it is a lot more fun trying to solve your problems @Borris especially spending your money. So here's my take: ditch the Beach and get a Multivan with two big roof tents. Then you'll have 3 separate bedrooms! :D
1621760337575.png

I think we have to be patient a year or two. People who go to campsites leave empty rooms in hotels and holiday flats. These will drop prices/increase service to lure people back. When for 10 quids more per night you have room cleaned for you, proper own bathroom with big shower, breakfast cooked for you, no washing up to do, no emptying the portapotti , no ehu, ramps, water canisters, blowing awning jadajadajada people will not come to campsites and situation will readjust.

Topic of this thread is the concern about over demand compared to available campsites. But it is a lot more fun trying to solve your problems @Borris especially spending your money. So here's my take: ditch the Beach and get a Multivan with two big roof tents. Then you'll have 3 separate bedrooms! :D
View attachment 78911

I agree with your first paragraph but.............."ditch the Beach and get a Multivan"! :shocked

"You cannot be serious" Hell would have to freeze over first. Whatever happens Moonlight stays.

Whilst I said that "Mrs B and I may have a problem looming", I only mentioned this issue in order to introduce the subject. If I had said that we'd been looking at caravans without any further explanation then the thread would probably have veered off in another direction.

We have numerous possible solutions to a minor and not particularly pressing issue and we are having great fun exploring them all. We haven't a clue what the answer is or even if there is an answer that is any better that what we have at present. Never the less please keep the ideas coming. The tangent that this thread has taken is proving very interesting. :thumb

Here's another solution that may have legs:
Screenshot_20210523-122835_Chrome.jpg
Expensive? yes. But since I already own one of these trailers I'd only need the tent part. The big advantage is ease of use and no sleeping on the ground. Plus the grandkids would be all over it. We always take the trailer when going camping with them so this would involve no extra storage issues.

Here's another variation. Bolt something like this to the trailer top and hey presto.

Preamble - Mrs B and I may have a problem looming. We have always looked after our three nearest grandchildren for much of their holidays. As the blighters will insist on growing we are going to have a problem in the not too distant future. With the eldest boy being eleven and the two girls being seven and nine things are going to get rather tight inside when Cali camping. So as just one option, we have been half-heartedly looking at caravans. I will say at this point that I don't like caravans at all and hate the thought of towing all that fragile chipboard and plastic around etc. However, it would be one way to sort the issue out. Boys in the Cali and girls in the caravan. To that end we have been treating the exploration of the various possible future options as a very weak excuse for a jolly in order to enjoy our newly found freedom. Visit somewhere, have a good nose around the options, see some nice countryside and have a good picnic as well. You know the format.

Now to my point. Yesterday we visited two places that sell caravans. One was a smallish local business with maybe three dozen vans for sale, all second hand. The other was a dealer that sold only brand new caravans. They had many dozens of them rammed into every nook and cranny of their extensive compound and showrooms. To my surprise, with the exception of just four new vans at the dealers and two poor second hand examples at the first business, every other caravan had a sold sticker on it. Whilst that suited me down to the ground it rang alarm bells for this summers travel prospects. Whilst I was aware that the sales of tents, campervans, motorhomes and caravans had been very strong both last year and again this year, I had no idea of the scale of this "feeding frenzy". I haven't even tried to book any campsites during the summer holidays but it's my guess that I'd be wasting my time!
Hey Borris, i live in Cornwal and last year was bad. Unfortunately this year im predicting that the caravan brigade will out number us Cornish my 10:1. But going by the wind and rain lashing at my window right now i dont think they will be here for long!☔☔

Preamble - Mrs B and I may have a problem looming. We have always looked after our three nearest grandchildren for much of their holidays. As the blighters will insist on growing we are going to have a problem in the not too distant future. With the eldest boy being eleven and the two girls being seven and nine things are going to get rather tight inside when Cali camping. So as just one option, we have been half-heartedly looking at caravans. I will say at this point that I don't like caravans at all and hate the thought of towing all that fragile chipboard and plastic around etc. However, it would be one way to sort the issue out. Boys in the Cali and girls in the caravan. To that end we have been treating the exploration of the various possible future options as a very weak excuse for a jolly in order to enjoy our newly found freedom. Visit somewhere, have a good nose around the options, see some nice countryside and have a good picnic as well. You know the format.

Now to my point. Yesterday we visited two places that sell caravans. One was a smallish local business with maybe three dozen vans for sale, all second hand. The other was a dealer that sold only brand new caravans. They had many dozens of them rammed into every nook and cranny of their extensive compound and showrooms. To my surprise, with the exception of just four new vans at the dealers and two poor second hand examples at the first business, every other caravan had a sold sticker on it. Whilst that suited me down to the ground it rang alarm bells for this summers travel prospects. Whilst I was aware that the sales of tents, campervans, motorhomes and caravans had been very strong both last year and again this year, I had no idea of the scale of this "feeding frenzy". I haven't even tried to book any campsites during the summer holidays but it's my guess that I'd be wasting my time!
Not knowing the circumstance, but perhaps their parents could look after them?

Years ago I saw a drive away awning at a Caravan show that had 3 mini rooms off it. It was fantastic and was the first time we saw a Cali. No idea what it was called now though!

Borris what about a nice tent for your self & Mrs Borris & just let the kids scrap it out in the van, use the deadlocking facility & just post a bit of food & water in through the sliding window occasionally.

I have found the threat that has the greatest effect on kids behaviour is to threaten a site with no wifi / mobile signal, my youngest threatened to report me to childline when she couldn't get a connection!

Not knowing the circumstance, but perhaps their parents could look after them?
Hmm.......Yes they probably could and that would leave us free to spend all our time and money on ourselves. However, if that were the case what sort of grand parents would that make us? You only get one short chance at grand parenting. Never under estimate how important that time is for all concerned.

Like many parents these days, theirs are both having to hold down full time jobs whilst working from home. Having to work and occupy offspring during school holidays and other times isn't easy and can't be fun for the kids either. Anyway, all this is besides the point as we have always wanted to be activity involved with all of our grand children. Sadly, we don't get to see the other five very often. This has been compounded by the lock downs.

Borris what about a nice tent for your self & Mrs Borris & just let the kids scrap it out in the van, use the deadlocking facility & just post a bit of food & water in through the sliding window occasionally.

I have found the threat that has the greatest effect on kids behaviour is to threaten a site with no wifi / mobile signal, my youngest threatened to report me to childline when she couldn't get a connection!
Lateral thinking eh!

We bought a cali to get away from tenting so the thought of surrendering it doesn't really appeal. Tempting though.

I must remember your no wifi/mobile signal tip. Inspired. :thumb

How about a five star all inclusive to Portugal

View attachment 78911
Have you ever camped at Sango sands, Durness. Stormy virtually every night? Tents etc sometimes do not fare well.

Still my favouritte campsite.

Your 11 year grandson is probably ripe for choosing and owning his own tent.

So many positives. Not just for the cost savings but also the joy of not having to tow a tin shed.

Was going to say, there was a glaring omission in the thought process - sleep under canvas, and on camp beds which can be very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about a five star all inclusive to Portugal
If only! :headbang

Unfortunately, if it wasn't for covid we, that is both families, would usually be heading off for two weeks all inclusive sun and frollicks at May half term. However we missed out last year for obvious reasons and have decided not to bother again until things settle down abroad. It's not worth the risk or the hassle at the moment.

It's a shame as the eldest starts secondary school in September and due to the way the half term holidays are scheduled, this is the last opportunity that we will all have to go for two weeks in May/June. Yes, there is always the summer holidays but it's often too hot then. Also it would be too crowded and cost a King's ransom.

Was going to say, there was a glaring omission in the thought process - sleep under canvas, and on camp beds which can be very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The canvas omission wasn't accidental.

After many wet soggy miserable holidays under canvas I won't be sorry if I never see another tent again. Having said that, we do have a pump up awning which is very useful for entertaining etc but I can say without hesitation, that it is my least liked piece of camping kit. Awnings are always hassle with a capital H. Why is it always raining when it comes to packing it away?

I could just about except a trailer mounted pop up tent if it involved no faffing around to erect and put away but a full blown tent ? NO. Besides we already have several of those clogging up the attic.