Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping in Greece

A

andrew149

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Anyone been to Greece? We are heading that way in the spring for eleven weeks, we hope to also do a few of the Greek islands as well especially Crete where our friends went last year in their motorhome. Any advice much appreciated.

Yes in the Cali.

Traveled from Turkey to Athens on one long drive. Both free camped and used the campsite in Athens city centre. Athens superb.

Then stayed a few weeks at various free spots in the Peloponnese which was effortless and nice. Lots to see.

Personal opinion. I would be very wary in the present political climate. Good insurance + an Arabic phrase book. :thumb

go for it - the ferries between the islands are very well organised and you will find some amazing remote spots off the beaten track - well jel

You may have left by now ...
If not too late we've been travelling to Greece overland most years since 1981. Very few problems and none in Greece. Know most routes and much of the mainland. Get in touch if wished.

Personal opinion. I would be very wary in the present political climate. Good insurance + an Arabic phrase book. :thumb

I agree with the insurance, but I can't see what good an Arabic phrase book is going to be in Greece or any country you would drive through getting there. A decent atlas would be a better bet.

Anyone been to Greece? We are heading that way in the spring for eleven weeks, we hope to also do a few of the Greek islands as well especially Crete where our friends went last year in their motorhome. Any advice much appreciated.
So, did you travel to Greece?
I was wary about travelling with all the troubles Greece was having at the time of your original post.
So how did it go?

I agree with the insurance, but I can't see what good an Arabic phrase book is going to be in Greece or any country you would drive through getting there. A decent atlas would be a better bet.
To communicate with the many Syrian refugees and the more numerous economic migrants! Friends of ours were pestered by the latter group a lot and had difficulty communicating with the former whom they wished to help when asked for advice etc.
I would have thought maps or atlas would be a given, but an Arab phrase book not normally required in Greece. Well not in the past, but things have changed.