Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Costs of driving to Greece

It's just as "doable" to travel to Greece by road. It depends where you are going and what you want to do. Calais to Volos (Pelion) is 2000 miles (Belgium, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria).and can be done in four days.There is motorway all the way; depending on your time scale you can stop off along the way.
I have used ferries from Ancona, Bari and Brindisi, but not Venice. My camper was broken into in Brindisi. As the road system has improved (especially the Danube bridge Calafat/Vidun) my choice now is overland even to Corfu, using the local ferry from Igoumenitsa. This is just personal choice (maybe influenced by a wife who is not too keen on ferries) but I've put it in here for the benefit of others who may be making plans.

HI All, I am planning a trip down to Greece (probably Vasiliki way but all around that area) next July in my Cali. As my family have less time I am going ahead and am going to pick them up from an airport.

However, I am just wondering if anyone has done this trip and has an idea of the total costs of getting there in the van with petrol and tolls/ferries. We plan to be around there for about 3 weeks but could stretch it out to 5 weeks if needed.

I have read the posts from others who have headed this way in their vans and they were helpful. I guess I am slightly grappling with whether the van would be useful to have over just renting a car and using airbnb places to stay over campsites and wild camping.

Thank you for your advice!
Cheaper to fly and rent for sure. Getting a boarding pass in Brindisi means standing in a queue in a large hall for an hour or more with a load of lorry drivers even when you have booked and paid on line. Terrible organisation. Try another crossing if you decide to do it.

We booked the ferry from Ancona to Patras with Anek Lines using the overnight Camping on Board service. Anek Lines were very helpful, the booking staff spoke excellent English and I would suggest phoning them directly to book. We even joined a French Camping Club to benefit from a generous discount on the booking. The total cost was £400 ish (including a shorter return leg from Igoumenista to Bari. Igoumenista is the port at the top of the Péloponnèse (near Corfu) and Patras is further down. You can mix and match entry/exit points.
I can’t tell you how we got on as we had to cancel due to Covid (our departure was in April). Anek Lines were really good about refunding.
There is a service from Venice.
Also Grimaldi Lines go from Venice. If you book with a Campervan they don’t have Camping on Board but give you a cabin for the price of a recliner seat.
We thought this ferry service made getting to Greece very doable. We are looking forward to going next spring instead.

The Greek residents of Epiros might be surprised to find themselves re-located to the Peloponnese.

Hi SallyW, did you get anywhere with your planning regarding your departure Italian point? Would be interested to know how you got on. We are currently looking at Anconna, Bari and Brindisi. Thanks

Agree with the 'Corfiot'. Ancona is relatively effortless - easy check in and well signed. Venice is a shorter drive and longer crossing. Does include wonderful views over the city. Bari and Brindisi are at the end of a long, and fairly boring, drive.
Not what you were asking but it looks as though the Greek authorities are refusing all tourist ferries from other countries at present.
Bon chance.

We booked the ferry from Ancona to Patras with Anek Lines using the overnight Camping on Board service. Anek Lines were very helpful, the booking staff spoke excellent English and I would suggest phoning them directly to book. We even joined a French Camping Club to benefit from a generous discount on the booking. The total cost was £400 ish (including a shorter return leg from Igoumenista to Bari. Igoumenista is the port at the top of the Péloponnèse (near Corfu) and Patras is further down. You can mix and match entry/exit points.
I can’t tell you how we got on as we had to cancel
I can’t tell you how we got on as we had to cancel due to Covid (our departure was in April). Anek Lines were really good about refunding.
There is a service from Venice.
Also Grimaldi Lines go from Venice. If you book with a Campervan they don’t have Camping on Board but give you a cabin for the price of a recliner seat.
We thought this ferry service made getting to Greece very doable. We are looking forward to going next spring instead.
Thanks @SallyW, we're interested in following a similar route to you and, although it might be a daft question, can you tell me the french camping club you joined and how much a saving you got on the Ancona to greece route? Wed want to camp onboard, if that helps? Cheers, James.

Cheaper to fly and rent for sure. Getting a boarding pass in Brindisi means standing in a queue in a large hall for an hour or more with a load of lorry drivers even when you have booked and paid on line. Terrible organisation. Try another crossing if you decide to do it.

We didn’t find the Brindisi - Igoumenitsa route any particular problem. Check in was easy, and the four berth cabin comfortable. The dog stayed in the van.

For an adventurer, driving through Romania and Bulgaria is a far better choice. At this time of year you might even be able to take in the Transfăgărășan over the Carpathians. There should not be any insurance issues within the EU.

If I were to make the journey a third time I’d seriously consider following the coast through Croatia, teeny bit of Bosnia, Montenegro and Albania. A motorway is planned that way but only the Croatian and Greek sections are complete.

Thanks @SallyW, we're interested in following a similar route to you and, although it might be a daft question, can you tell me the french camping club you joined and how much a saving you got on the Ancona to greece route? Wed want to camp onboard, if that helps? Cheers, James.

When booking with Anek Ancona to Patras there were certain discounts available......
Booking a return journey you received a 30% discount on the return leg (this may have been in combination with booking by a certain date)
Also there was a discount if you belonged to a camping club listed on their website These are very much geared to Italians, Dutch and Germans (so not the CCC or CMC or ACSI). See attached photo. It was a good discount so I looked into joining one of these clubs and the FFCC was the least expensive at 25 euros! https://boutique.ffcc.fr/boutique/3w/commande/profil

From memory, if you are a member of the AA (a proper member, not just through your insurance company) you can get a good discount using the Venice route with Grimaldi but this does not have the camping on board option.

Of course it depends when you are going as I don’t think any of the discounts are available during the high season.
Good luck!

C66A5A84-8977-48F8-9F70-7B666AB19964.png

Back