Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping in the cold.

N

Nicola owens

VIP Member
Does anyone have any advice for camping in the cold possibly -5 snow conditions? Would you recommend a internal or external cover for the roof tent California ocean? Any advice we would appreciate, thank you.

Toppers are a personal choice. I camp all year round and do not have one but then again I'm often solo and sleeping downstairs. I think that if I or others had to sleep upstairs then it would be different.

Otherwise, the Cali is a superb all year vehicle. Enjoy!

Got both but would recommend using at least the external one if you're going to get snowed on. You can give it shake then a get the snow off.

We use a Brandrup Isotop at the inside with give a good isolation and cosy atmosphere. Quite expensive, but worthwhile. Stays on with the roof down, summer and winter. No hustle with exterior cover, becoming wet, difficult to instal and taking up space in the boot.

Does anyone have any advice for camping in the cold possibly -5 snow conditions? Would you recommend a internal or external cover for the roof tent California ocean? Any advice we would appreciate, thank you.

We were going to get one, never got round to it and actually think it's fine without down to minus 5 ish and maybe even a little below that. It's spare fleece blanket + keep heater remote within easy reach for us, even upstairs. Have only slept downstairs when it's been very windy.

Don't think we are particularly hardy, it just works for us. Might be worth a try before investing.

Never slept downstairs but we had iso in the old van, I'm thinking our little trip to Norway in the new van in Oct might see some downstairs action though.

We have a Comfortz Cali-Cozy which we think is brilliant. We have camped in Austria in temperatures down to minus 9. Our children sleep at the top and were really snug but we did have the heater on set at 1 all night. We have an external topper too and would use that if it was snowing (haven't needed to yet).
Happy camping.

Latest purchase was an Outwell Constellation Lux sleeping bag. Verdict - wished I had bought it years ago. Toasty!

Should add it also has pillow extension to hold pillow so no falling pillows if up top.

We use a topper (roofless) in winter, keeps snow out of roof mechanism and provides surprising amount of insulation. Also prevents condensation on inner roof belows as is remains warm to touch.

Bit of effort to fit but if you are skiing for a week well worth it in my opinion.

We use the van all year. Our situation which works for us
  • sleep downstairs
  • no topper
  • happy to keep roof down if extrem weather forcast

We use a Brandrup Isotop at the inside with give a good isolation and cosy atmosphere. Quite expensive, but worthwhile. Stays on with the roof down, summer and winter. No hustle with exterior cover, becoming wet, difficult to instal and taking up space in the boot.
Mine slides into one of the chairs in its bag.
Easier to dry the external cover than the roof canvas if you cannot raise the roof at home.

Someone ever used a heating blanket for preheating the bed upstairs?

We have used some at home, we like a cold sleeping area but a warm bed. The one we have only require 60W. They are only supposed to put on to heat the bed. Not to sleep upon when on. Have thought it might work in the cali when in cold situations.

My friend bought a heating carpet for the floor. With that on they rarely use the heater. Same principle, and only uses 40W as I recall.

We have used a heated blanket in our old campervan, we found it very good, my GF really liked them. We could try it out in the roof but I find under the duvet we are never cold, even the standard mattress is pretty good at insulating, its the air that is cooler for me.

They were mains powered howwever, so if you had a mains plug you could probably just use a fan heater and direct the air upstairs?

I am currently looking at putting a Y piece into my beach Webasto heater under the drivers seat and directing one upwards out of the front of the seat and towards the poptop.

Someone ever used a heating blanket for preheating the bed upstairs?

We have used some at home, we like a cold sleeping area but a warm bed. The one we have only require 60W. They are only supposed to put on to heat the bed. Not to sleep upon when on. Have thought it might work in the cali when in cold situations.

My friend bought a heating carpet for the floor. With that on they rarely use the heater. Same principle, and only uses 40W as I recall.
Could plug that into the Inverter Socket if it is only 60 watts.