Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Levelling chocks

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
The only "must do" for us it sleeping head higher than feet. IMO levelers are expensive, take up a lot of space and an all round pain. Each to their own.

Ours has to be level as upstairs sleepers have head to the front & downstairs have head to the boot So impossible to get head higher than feet for both!

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Ours has to be level as upstairs sleepers have head to the front & downstairs have head to the boot So impossible to get head higher than feet for both!
Good point that.

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I'm a bit of an idiot, I think. I just bought the Fiamma Level-Ups for my hopefully-soon-to-be-built Ocean. They've just arrived, and after reading the instructions it appears that they are only suitable for tyre widths up to 180mm. My tyres will be 235's. I don't normally make mistakes like this. Grr.
On the other hand, how many campervans are there that these could actually work with (tyres of 180 or less)?

following on from this, can anyone suggest levellers that would work with 235's? Thx
I’m pretty sure mine are the same (too narrow for my 235 tyres) but in practice they work fine as the tread profile means there is no “overhang” as such. Mine are Thule (look identical to Fiamma) and they measure 20cm wide.

wilburthewombat

wilburthewombat

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I’m pretty sure mine are the same (too narrow for my 235 tyres) but in practice they work fine as the tread profile means there is no “overhang” as such. Mine are Thule (look identical to Fiamma) and they measure 20cm wide.
Thanks! I'll try these ones 20cm first, before I buy a different set.

M

marchugo

If it helps I’ve got the Milenco Triple
They are very solid come in a bag and fit in the space.
Mike

Today the Milenco levels Triple 3 arrived here. They fit in the place next to the drawer. But they *just* fit, even with the carry case. It's a matter of millimeters and a lot of maneuvering. They measure 18 cm x 24,5 cm x 61 cm.

Three levels: 4 CM, 8 CM and 12 CM. Boy, are the heavy, 2,5 kilo each.

@Properjob and @T6 CFO: Thanks for the tip.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc

Milenco_Tripple_3.jpg

Properjob

Properjob

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Today the Milenco levels Triple 3 arrived here. They fit in the place next to the drawer. But they *just* fit, even with the carry case. It's a matter of millimeters and a lot of maneuvering. They measure 18 cm x 24,5 cm x 61 cm.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc

View attachment 69894
That’s great to hear. I haven’t even tried to fit them in there, so good to know.
They might be heavy but they’ve been really useful in our experience and particularly good that you don’t roll back off them when you take the hand brake off to turn the driver’s seat. It sounds like a really complicated process when you can’t do this!

S

Scanacali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We bought the Fiamma Level System Magnum levellers. They are 20cm wide and dont take up much space. Used them on a couple of sites this year.

Corradobrit

Corradobrit

Vehicle
Looking to buy
We bought the Fiamma Level System Magnum levellers. They are 20cm wide and dont take up much space. Used them on a couple of sites this year.
These seem to be a nice solution. Space saving, light, continuous leveling settings, good for wide tyres, and the blocking chock means a DSG equipped Cali won't roll back much when the handbrake released. This is probably the route I will go.

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc

View attachment 69894
For me, I don’t have a permanent or designated space for our wedge shaped levellers. I pack the van in differenIt ways depending on where we’re going, how long for and what I want to fit in. The great thing with these are the shape and they can be wedged in any easy to a suitable space. Mine are usually to be found wedged in separately with their flat bottom against the underside of the parcel shelf. Last in, first out. Wherever we pitch levelling is the first thing we sort out.

M

mikej100

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc

View attachment 69894
Thanks for your post. My Milenco Triple 3 order just arrived. I'm not that confident with the fit in the long hatch space under the seat, and I plan to change them.
As 'marchugo' suggests the Triple 3 *just* fits. When velcro'd up in the Milenco bag I think it will increase the overlap and won't fit well in the width available and then will interfere with stowing the table. I've had a quick look at removing the buttons for the hatch cover, but with the drawer removed (thanks ollie) the screws seem inaccessible without more extensive dismantling.
Given the table is in and out so frequently I'm inclined not to risk it. I'm thinking to order Fiamma jumbo which appear to be 4cm less height in use and so about 4cm less in width as stowed and still match 235 tyres. But only two steps and less height than the Triple.
I'd be interested to hear anyone's further practical experience using the Triple 3 in that slot, and on the Fiamma level up jumbo.

Mike

Corradobrit

Corradobrit

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Can the bases be trimmed to shorten the height by a few millimeter's so they fit better in that space?

Properjob

Properjob

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Thanks for your post. My Milenco Triple 3 order just arrived. I'm not that confident with the fit in the long hatch space under the seat, and I plan to change them.
As 'marchugo' suggests the Triple 3 *just* fits. When velcro'd up in the Milenco bag I think it will increase the overlap and won't fit well in the width available and then will interfere with stowing the table. I've had a quick look at removing the buttons for the hatch cover, but with the drawer removed (thanks ollie) the screws seem inaccessible without more extensive dismantling.
Given the table is in and out so frequently I'm inclined not to risk it. I'm thinking to order Fiamma jumbo which appear to be 4cm less height in use and so about 4cm less in width as stowed and still match 235 tyres. But only two steps and less height than the Triple.
I'd be interested to hear anyone's further practical experience using the Triple 3 in that slot, and on the Fiamma level up jumbo.

Mike
We haven’t stowed our milenco triples there in the van but definitely have used the top level of the three many times so would recommend that height and wouldn’t want lower ones. prob depends on the type of sites you go to though.

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We haven’t stowed our milenco triples there in the van but definitely have used the top level of the three many times so would recommend that height and wouldn’t want lower ones. prob depends on the type of sites you go to though.
Extra height is definitely useful at festivals and in farmers fields. Sometimes one wheel’s on low and another’s on the highest level!

M

mikej100

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Thanks for your views on the usefulness of the height of the Triple. Our experience is from single campervan trial trip, so good to know.
Given the site restrictions and possibly being busy for our trips in April and May I'll stick with the Milenco Triple for maximum flexibility for Scottish highlands and islands. Stowing tied up without the bag is tight but usable, see picture. Will let you know how it goes.

20210406_170413-2.jpg

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Thanks for your views on the usefulness of the height of the Triple. Our experience is from single campervan trial trip, so good to know.
Given the site restrictions and possibly being busy for our trips in April and May I'll stick with the Milenco Triple for maximum flexibility for Scottish highlands and islands. Stowing tied up without the bag is tight but usable, see picture. Will let you know how it goes.

View attachment 76319
If you’re short of space separate them and wedge them in where you can. They’ll fit in to the oddest of places.