Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping in Wales?

emma harvey

emma harvey

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hiya. We have just completed our first adventure in Percy to Devon and Dorset. Next Wales!! Can anyone recommend good chilled sites?? We have 2 children (3&5) so they must be children friendly!!! Also taking some friends with us in order to persuade them to buy a Cali!! Thank you in advance!!

Shell Island is good, supposed to be the biggest site in the UK and loads of space and fantastic views. The (loo) facilities look rustic but if you go to the central shower block they are the best I have ever seen. I would imagine that like most sites it's better out of peak season.

It's great down Tenby way. Lots to do with kids. Rain or shine

I agree about Tenby, and Pembrokshire generally. A very nice site near there (well, six miles from Tenby, closer to Pembroke town) is Dews Lake Farm. It's not by the coast but only a sort drive away.

I second Caerfi Bay in St Davids or Lleithyr Farm St Davids. Pembrokeshire in general is stunning!

It has to be the Gower Peninsula for me. A bit more limited when it rains but the scenery is spectacular and it's such an outdoorsy place, ideal with kids.

Google Rhossili Bay or Three Cliffs Bay to give you an idea of the wow factor.

I'd recommend Bank Farm in Horton as a good friendly place to stay with great views and pretty good facilities. We stayed for over 2 weeks last year. Very close to a lovely beach and easy access to the Port Eynon and Rhossili with the rest of the peninsula a short drive away.

Your children are a bit young, possibly, to be interested in the longer railway up at Porthmadog in Snowdonia. The Ffestiniog is fairly short and my son loved it when he was about 5. The narrow gauge railways are good for children as everything is smaller. But there is a shorter railway called the Welsh Highland Heritage railway which is almost opposite Tesco in Porthmadog. It is perfect for children as it is ½ mile long and there is a good museum there plus a miniature railway too which gives rides. Useful for rainy days.

There are lots of sandy beaches around, Black Rock Sands, etc and castles to go and explore. Plenty of campsites which some of the other Forum members may be able to recommend.

Last edited:
Hill End campsite right next to Llangennith beachon the Gower

I live about 3 miles from there and and whenever I go past on my bike it always looks incredibly busy (and zero protection if the weather turns bad)...is it really that nice to stay in? I've always thought some of the other Gower campsites must be more chilled

It does get really busy and is popular with surfers,but there is a separate family field which is a little quieter. The upside is that it is literally on the beach. Not saying it's the best just offering another site for the poster to look at.

Oh yes..it is a fab location, that's for sure

Gower or Pembrokeshire. They are both world class.

2 hours apart so you could do a road trip and stay at both.

Below are 2 of the best. Google them for website.

Gower - Port Eynon - Carreglwyd campsite.

Pembrokeshire - St David's - Lleithyr farm campsite.

See our little movie of our Wales trip a few weeks back for views of the three campsites we loved most:
  • Rhaeadr Nantcol Waterfalls
  • Gwersyll Cefn Cae Campsite
  • Rynys Farm Campsite
The site at Nantcol Waterfalls is probably best with kids: a small river through the campsite with and island, water to play in, lots to explore, a waterfall nearby

Last edited:
Just an aside, but I'm pleased to see that at "Pembrokeshire - St David's - Lleithyr farm campsite", the pricing system is very simple and fair to van owners
pem.PNG
Looks like "Billy No Mates" and his dog can go for £9 a night Peak Season!

EDIT: Although with further research, "his dog" wouldn't be allowed on ANY of the nearby Whitesands Beach from 1st May to end of Sept

I'm loving this thread! Does anyone have any thoughts on campsites near Cadair Idris? We plan to climb/walk up it in September on our way down to Pembrokeshire for a week. This will be our first extended trip with the new chap who arrived earlier than expected about a week ago:bananadance

Does anyone have any thoughts on campsites near Cadair Idris?
I know some tackle it from here http://www.graigwen.co.uk/
It's a nice site but a bit unusual. 2 fab panoramic pitches, about 6 others which are rather 'normal'. With a hefty walk down the hill, you are on the fab old railway line for cycling into Barmouth.

I know some tackle it from here http://www.graigwen.co.uk/
It's a nice site but a bit unusual. 2 fab panoramic pitches, about 6 others which are rather 'normal'. With a hefty walk down the hill, you are on the fab old railway line for cycling into Barmouth.
Thanks for the recommendation. It looks really great.
I know the cycle trail well, always seems to be a headwind when I cycle along it from the Dolgellau end. Never realised there was a nice campsite so near.
How steep is the "hefty walk"?

How steep is the "hefty walk"?
It is a bit of a killer. Most of it is too steep to ride down for me (but many do). So it's steep, but manageable if you take it steady. If I'm staying a few days, I leave my bike locked about 2/3rds down. The walk is mainly through the camping part of the campsite. Do note that the 'normal' pitches are nothing to write home about, but you can enjoy the views for coffee etc without booking the panoramic pitches (as they usually booked).

Trust you've found that amazing cafe in Dolgellau (TH Roberts) in the old hardware store?

It is a bit of a killer. Most of it is too steep to ride down for me (but many do). So it's steep, but manageable if you take it steady. If I'm staying a few days, I leave my bike locked about 2/3rds down. The walk is mainly through the camping part of the campsite. Do note that the 'normal' pitches are nothing to write home about, but you can enjoy the views for coffee etc without booking the panoramic pitches (as they usually booked).

Trust you've found that amazing cafe in Dolgellau (TH Roberts) in the old hardware store?
I've seen it, but never stopped. I used to call at the chippie in Dolgellau on my way up to Snowdonia. I'll have to stop next time I'm there. I do enjoy the views from the cycle path and then the ride over the bridge to Barmouth. Thanks for the tip.

Apologies T4WFA for not thanking you for this suggestion and apologies for not responding before now. I thought I had replied via my I-phone but my response seems to have disappeared into the ether. Anyway thanks for your link - the site does look interesting and we may well give it a go.

I've also seen the recommendation (on the Cool Camping website) for a very basic site at the start of the Pony path up Cadair and wondered if anyone had used this? I'm quite keen on camping there but Mr. W. is less sure on account of the loo being a 2 minute drive away ......

Shell Island is good, supposed to be the biggest site in the UK and loads of space and fantastic views. The (loo) facilities look rustic but if you go to the central shower block they are the best I have ever seen. I would imagine that like most sites it's better out of peak season.
I love shell island.
Great crabbing when the causeway closes if the tide comes in that far.
Beautiful beaches and views.
Facilities can get busy and definitely rustic.
We saw dolphins from the shore.
A bit of Welsh magic.

Back