• Start date
H

Hotel California

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
So on our return from COTF 2014 we said to ourselfs making it a each two year trip , the fact in 2016 there's not gonna be a COTF we would like to come to the june meet .
Was thinking for arround at least a10 days trip ( 14 days would be fine to) in total as we do need to take the ferry ( Dunkerke or Calais - Dover short boattrip for the dog who will be travelling with us)
After a sleepover at Dover Patrol Memorial ( where there in 2012)we could do the trip to the meet in one or two days .
Would love to go and check out Wales and Scotland.
Starting with Wales and leave Schotland for later as we like to see some stuff and enjoy walks ect...not want to do the whole ride just sightseeing from the Cali just to get in Schotland and return.
Think from looking at the map , say afther the meet , up to the coast and so up to Snowdonia going back more inland back down .
I know i am usually the first to say " did you use the searchfunction?" ;) , my Q to you guys is to give me some adviseble routes and nice sites for sleepovers (wildcamp) and campsites.
If i go to the treads in travel -UK i got no clue where the places (mentiont in the treads) are in the UK and would be searching on a map try to locate it.

We stayed in Hollands wood New Forrest in 2014and loved it , camping in the forrest is defanatly one we will go back to ( seen the one at Snowdonia)
A campsite every two/three days with wildcamping or spending the night on a forummember driveway:D would do fine....
We like quiet small spots , no need to have swimmingpool campsites , just showers are fine.
Also not planning on making any reservation , exept the ferry and the forum meet , as i like to have freedom adapting to surcomstances.
I am all ears....and eyes:bananadance

Last edited:
If you fancy a change from the Dover Patrol (although I agree it is a lovely spot) and have a bit more travelling time, Dungeness is good for a 'near Dover' wildcamp. It's a truely weird place, but strangely wonderful at the same time. About an hour from Dover. Also you get to take a picture of your van next to the old lighthouse :) There is a pub near there (hour or so walk along the beach), the Pilot Inn I think, which does fantastic fish and chips.

Think the mini meets are in Gloucester? From there it is a short hop into the Forest of Dean. Plenty of wilding in the Forest, any of the ungated car parks really. I think one is near Speech House. Marked walking and biking trails. I recently found out about a place called Symonds Yat Rock, it's on my to do list for this year. Look out for wild boar while driving through, especially in the dark. Suicidal, the lot of them.

From there, I'd head for the Brecon Beacons. The highest point is Pen Y Fan. It's not a difficult walk (although the weather can be deceptive. I've started in a T-shirt and ended in all my clothes with ice forming on my hat. Also people have died up there, so be careful) and I've camped in various Forestry Commission car parks around there. Have a look around Talybont resevoir. You can also overnight in the Crickhowel carpark as well, small fee I think. Plenty of campsites, lots of walking, biking and caving in the area.

The coastal walking around Pembrokeshire is lovely. Also consider boat trips out to see the seals. Again, a few wilding spots, but be careful of the weather, especially the wind. Stumble Head is a nice spot, we camped there on midsummer's day a few years ago.

Up to Snowdonia and the world is your oyster. Haven't used the CitF site at Bedgelert, but have seen it on the walk past. It doesn't look as nice as Hollands Wood, but as I say, I haven't actually stayed there. It does provide easy access to the Rangers path up Snowdon though, so that is a bonus :)

We stayed at a place called Graig Wen near Barmouth over Christmas. That was nice and simple, good access to the Maddwich trail and close to Cardair Idris, the big mountain in the south of Snowdonia (piccies on the Betty Bus facebook page). So much choice in the area though. I've head good and bad things about Shell Island, but haven't got around to staying there yet, but that too is on my list.

The middle of Wales looks great too, but we haven't got there yet. Check out the Valley of the Dams video on campervanculture.com. Looks ace and has also gone on the todo list for this year.

Consider becoming a member of Wildcamping.co.uk and getting the POI downloads, loads of stuff for Wales and easily worth 15 pounds.

Hope that helps.
dan

Last edited:
Oh, and Anglesey. Good coastal walking and lots of birds.

Sorry, me again.

I forgot to mention, when you get to Bedgelert, seek out Gelert's grave. It's a sad the story, but it turned out to be fictional anyway.

If you want a change from Dover then drive 100 miles, park your van in my drive, we walk our dogs on the beach for an hour then have dinner and a glass of wine :D

You would be most welcome.

The Elan Valley is worth a visit too. The mountain road from Rhyader to Devils Bridge is lovely. The hills around Machynlleth is lovely, especially if you're into low flying fighter planes.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Would agree with the previous posts. Pembrokeshire has lots of good campsites, The Elan Valley is quite spectacular. A number of dams in a narrow valley. Good Fish & Chip shop in Rhayader at the bottom of the valley, called "Evans Plaice".

The Beddgelert Forest campsite is quite good. Heavily used but as TwentyoneThirtyfive says, there is a path from there that goes up to Rhydd Ddu and then up Snowdon. There is also a nice path that goes down the Aberglaslyn Pass from Gelert's Grave called the Fisherman's Path. It stays near water level most of the time, so don't try if the river is in full spate. At the bottom of the pass walk around to Nantmoor & up the pass then back to Beddgelert. The narrow gauge steam railway that I volunteer on goes through the forest campsite and is an interesting ride. Very steep and twisty.
Snowdonia Parc Campsite is a bit further up the same road as Beddgelert. It is in the grounds of a micro brewery and is also on the railway. Again lots of lovely walks in the area.
http://www.snowdonia-park.co.uk/
I'll be at the June meet if you want any tips. Simon

Last edited:
Just drop me a PM when you get to North Wales and we'll take you on a tour!

And suggest you go to Shell Island, see here

Not to detract from the other suggestions, they are all top notch! :)

Dungeness is well worth a look. We stopped a night in the car park of the Pilot Inn right on the shingle.

Thanks for the response , also thru PM from bigmac77 and GrannyJen for the invite!
We will concider it for sure ( we will bring the wine!)
Nothing is sure yet as i just start planning.
Can't wait to long as the meet seems popular and don't want to miss out on a spot on that site.
Got some looking on the web to do , agian tkx...
Feel free to ad more:thumb

Last edited:
If you are keen on walking you can leave your Cali somewhere around Nantmoor, catch a Welsh Highland steam train up to Rhydd Ddu and then walk back down the hill to Beddgelert where you could have lunch in a nice pub, then continue back down the Fisherman's Path to Nantmoor and meet the Cali again.

Last edited:
So on our return from COTF 2014 we said to ourselfs making it a each two year trip , the fact in 2016 there's not gonna be a COTF we would like to come to the june meet .
Was thinking for arround at least a10 days trip ( 14 days would be fine to) in total as we do need to take the ferry ( Dunkerke or Calais - Dover short boattrip for the dog who will be travelling with us)
After a sleepover at Dover Patrol Memorial ( where there in 2012)we could do the trip to the meet in one or two days .
Would love to go and check out Wales and Scotland.
Starting with Wales and leave Schotland for later as we like to see some stuff and enjoy walks ect...not want to do the whole ride just sightseeing from the Cali just to get in Schotland and return.
Think from looking at the map , say afther the meet , up to the coast and so up to Snowdonia going back more inland back down .
I know i am usually the first to say " did you use the searchfunction?" ;) , my Q to you guys is to give me some adviseble routes and nice sites for sleepovers (wildcamp) and campsites.
If i go to the treads in travel -UK i got no clue where the places (mentiont in the treads) are in the UK and would be searching on a map try to locate it.

We stayed in Hollands wood New Forrest in 2012 and loved it , camping in the forrest is defanatly one we will go back to ( seen the one at Snowdonia)
A campsite every two/three days with wildcamping or spending the night on a forummember driveway:D would dofine....
We like quiet small spots , no need to have swimmingpool campsites , just showers are fine.
Also not planning on making any reservation , exept the ferry and the forum meet , as i like to have freedom adapting to surcomstances.
I am all ears....and eyes:bananadance

Check this thread
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/camping-is-becoming-expensive.12345/page-3#post-123509
For a suggestion!

Took me ages to do this and it's still not a hyperlink :headbang:headbang
Really bad IT day too. Don't know why I tried...

Now come on guys , i was just considering comming to the UK for a few weeks next year....Wales or Schotland....
Promote yourselves....:D
Try North Wales. Take the ferry to Hull, the straight down the m62 over the Pennines (hills to us, mountains to you!). Quick skirt around Manchester on the m60 the down the m56 to Wales.
Lovely drives across the moors, lots of mountains, sea sides, wildlife.
Start at Rhos on Sea, drive down to Llandudno, the great orm, Conway. Don't miss out Bangor pier, Over the Menai bridge to Anglesey. Start at Beaumaris the work your way around anti clockwise. Head to Caernafon, then follow the syeam train line over Rhydd ddu to Beddgelert. Pop up to Penypass for a look at the mountains of Snowdonia. Back down to Porthmadog then down to Harlech.
Bliss!
Croeso y Cymru, boyo!

I often find May and June to have the best weather of the summer here in Wales. For a week trip I would suggest the following:

Day 1 - Visit Llandudno, experience the charm of this Victorian seaside town, take the tram up the Great Orme and get a bite to eat at the Fish Tram chips chippy. Then head to Conwy have a look at the castle, walk on the town walls and get some provisions from Edwards the butchers on the high street. In the evening head along the A55 towards Bangor and stay the night in the beach carpark (2m barrier on entrance, bear this in mind).

Day 2 - Options day. If it is sunny head up the A5 through Bethesda and up the Nant Ffrancon to Ogwen Cottage, park here and walk up to Cwm Idwal, if you fancy more of a walk/scramble follow the path up Y Garn not as high as Snowdon but much less touristy and there isn't a cafe or a station at the top. Absolutely stunning scenery. In the afternoon follow the A5 to Capel Curig then turn onto the A4086 and follow this road to Llanberis. Lovely scenic drive. If you want to sleep somewhere free tonight there is a lay-by near Tesco's in Bangor grid ref 53.203565° -4.162715°

Day 3 - Head onto Anglesey see some beaches, head towards Traeth Lligwy park in the car park and walk the coast path to Traeth Yr Ora (the local secret beach). If the weather isn't great try Beaumaris for a look around the shops and maybe the castle. From here you can head towards Point Lynas lighthouse and spot the Harbour Porpoise feeding in the tidal race also look out for the Choughs. Swap days 2 & 3 depending on the weather. There are loads of car parks to stay on Anglesey.

Day 4 - Finish Anglesey with a trip to South Stack. Head of the island and start your journey south. Head for
the Lleyn Peninsula. Visit Morfa Nefyn and then onto Aberdaron. Aim to get to Criccieth for evening try Dylan's for dinner right on the beach.

Day 5 and onwards - Enough beaches and the coast, head inland towards Dolgellau and then onto Machynlleth. Lots of walks and trails through forests or up hills.
Now you can choose to head back towards the coast again on the A487 this will take you to Aberystwyth and if you keep going right down to Pembrokeshire and St Davids. If you do head this way go for a curry in the Saffron Restaurant in St Davids. Whitesands bay is lovely watch the seals swimming with the surfers and bodyboarders. You might want to break this route into a couple of days. Maybe stop near New Quay or Aberaeron.

Or take the A470 through Powys to the Brecon Beacons national park. From here you can head toward Monmouth or Ross-on-Wye and out of Wales toward home.

This is very much a whistle stop tour, if you are in Pembrokeshire and have not had enough of beaches the Gower Peninsula is well worth seeing on your way towards the Seven Bridge, Three Cliffs Bay is very nice.

Last edited:
Great information, I've "just move" (long history) to Cardiff and we my half and me are keen to visit Wales and surrounding during next months in weekends so, with Hotel California's permission, I'll take note of all those suggestions.

If you fancy a change from the Dover Patrol (although I agree it is a lovely spot) and have a bit more travelling time, Dungeness is good for a 'near Dover' wildcamp. It's a truely weird place, but strangely wonderful at the same time. About an hour from Dover. Also you get to take a picture of your van next to the old lighthouse :) There is a pub near there (hour or so walk along the beach), the Pilot Inn I think, which does fantastic fish and chips.

Think the mini meets are in Gloucester? From there it is a short hop into the Forest of Dean. Plenty of wilding in the Forest, any of the ungated car parks really. I think one is near Speech House. Marked walking and biking trails. I recently found out about a place called Symonds Yat Rock, it's on my to do list for this year. Look out for wild boar while driving through, especially in the dark. Suicidal, the lot of them.

From there, I'd head for the Brecon Beacons. The highest point is Pen Y Fan. It's not a difficult walk (although the weather can be deceptive. I've started in a T-shirt and ended in all my clothes with ice forming on my hat. Also people have died up there, so be careful) and I've camped in various Forestry Commission car parks around there. Have a look around Talybont resevoir. You can also overnight in the Crickhowel carpark as well, small fee I think. Plenty of campsites, lots of walking, biking and caving in the area.

The coastal walking around Pembrokeshire is lovely. Also consider boat trips out to see the seals. Again, a few wilding spots, but be careful of the weather, especially the wind. Stumble Head is a nice spot, we camped there on midsummer's day a few years ago.

Up to Snowdonia and the world is your oyster. Haven't used the CitF site at Bedgelert, but have seen it on the walk past. It doesn't look as nice as Hollands Wood, but as I say, I haven't actually stayed there. It does provide easy access to the Rangers path up Snowdon though, so that is a bonus :)

We stayed at a place called Graig Wen near Barmouth over Christmas. That was nice and simple, good access to the Maddwich trail and close to Cardair Idris, the big mountain in the south of Snowdonia (piccies on the Betty Bus facebook page). So much choice in the area though. I've head good and bad things about Shell Island, but haven't got around to staying there yet, but that too is on my list.

The middle of Wales looks great too, but we haven't got there yet. Check out the Valley of the Dams video on campervanculture.com. Looks ace and has also gone on the todo list for this year.

Consider becoming a member of Wildcamping.co.uk and getting the POI downloads, loads of stuff for Wales and easily worth 15 pounds.

Hope that helps.
dan

Hope that helps.
dan

Forest of Dean and Wye Valley good options - i live closeby and would be happy to add some more detail if you decide to head that way - great cycling area and the River Wye offers lots of fun options. As suggested great stop over en route to Brecon and Wales.

I often find May and June to have the best weather of the summer here in Wales. For a week trip I would suggest the following:

Day 1 - Visit Llandudno, experience the charm of this Victorian seaside town, take the tram up the Great Orme and get a bite to eat at the Fish Tram chips chippy. Then head to Conwy have a look at the castle, walk on the town walls and get some provisions form Edwards the butchers on the high street. In the evening head along the A55 towards Bangor and stay the night in the beach carpark (2m barrier on entrance, bear this in mind).

Day 2 - Options day. If it is sunny head up the A5 through Bethesda and up the Nant Ffrancon to Ogwen Cottage, park here and walk up to Cwm Idwal, if you fancy more of a walk/scramble follow the path up Y Garn not as high as Snowdon but much less touristy and there isn't a cafe or a station at the top. Absolutely stunning scenery. In the afternoon follow the A5 to Capel Curig then turn onto the A4086 and follow this road to Llanberis. Lovely scenic drive. If you want to sleep somewhere free tonight there is a lay-by near Tesco's in Bangor grid ref 53.203565° -4.162715°

Day 3 - Head onto Anglesey see some beaches, head towards Traeth Lligwy park in the car park and walk the coast path to Traeth Yr Ora (the local secret beach). If the weather isn't great try Beaumaris for a look around the shops and maybe the castle. From here you can head towards Point Lynas lighthouse and spot the Harbour Porpoise feeding in the tidal race also look out for the Choughs. Swap days 2 & 3 depending on the weather. There are loads of car parks to stay on Anglesey.

Day 4 - Finish Anglesey with a trip to South Stack. Head of the island and start your journey south. Head for
the Lleyn Peninsula. Visit Morfa Nefyn and then onto Aberdaron. Aim to get to Criccieth for evening try Dylan's for dinner right on the beach.

Day 5 and onwards - Enough beaches and the coast, head inland towards Dolgellau and then onto Machynlleth. Lots of walks and trails through forests or up hills.
Now you can choose to head back towards the coast again on the A487 this will take you to Aberystwyth and if you keep going right down to Pembrokeshire and St Davids. If you do head this way go for a curry in the Saffron Restaurant in St Davids. Whitesands bay is lovely watch the seals swimming with the surfers and bodyboarders. You might want to break this route into a couple of days. Maybe stop near New Quay or Aberaeron.

Or take the A470 through Powys to the Brecon Beacons national park. From here you can head toward Monmouth or Ross-on-Wye and out of Wales toward home.

This is very much a whistle stop tour, if you are in Pembrokeshire and have not had enough of beaches the Gower Peninsula is well worth seeing on your way towards the Seven Bridge, Three Cliffs Bay is very nice.
That's what I call an itinerary. Been to all of these even on the top of Y Garn, need boots up there. In fact.... Where are my keys?!

Interesting, all this! We are planning to visit the North of Wales/ Snowdonia as well, last week of June 2016 roughly, combining it with Camper Jam (first weekend of July), where we will be visiting as well and then return home. We just booked the Dunkirk-Dover ferry on a early bird discount.

From Dover we may visit some friends in the Thames Valley, then on to Stone Henge (never been there), and then up to Snowdonia. There, we will roughly do the drive as described in this booklet:
51n7oRtFj0L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Start at Machynlleth, then Britdir, Cadair Idriss, Harlech Castle, Beddgelert, Mount Snowdon, Caernarfon, Anglesey (Beaumaris, Moelfre, Llanfair PW, Plas Newydd), Betws-y-Coed, Trefiw Woollen Mills, Canwy and then Llandudno.
From there to Weston Park (west of Birmingham) for Camper Jam, and then in a dash back to Dover and home!

If visiting Stonehenge, call in at Avebury on the way north. The stones are a little more accessible!

Interesting, all this! We are planning to visit the North of Wales/ Snowdonia as well, last week of June 2016 roughly, combining it with Camper Jam (first weekend of July), where we will be visiting as well and then return home. We just booked the Dunkirk-Dover ferry on a early bird discount.

From Dover we may visit some friends in the Thames Valley, then on to Stone Henge (never been there), and then up to Snowdonia. There, we will roughly do the drive as described in this booklet:
51n7oRtFj0L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Start at Machynlleth, then Britdir, Cadair Idriss, Harlech Castle, Beddgelert, Mount Snowdon, Caernarfon, Anglesey (Beaumaris, Moelfre, Llanfair PW, Plas Newydd), Betws-y-Coed, Trefiw Woollen Mills, Canwy and then Llandudno.
From there to Weston Park (west of Birmingham) for Camper Jam, and then in a dash back to Dover and home!

Hi Bob , not planning to attempt the forum meet up?
We been to Stone Henge two years ago , much to busy , to much money for seeing some stone from behind a fence....not worth the money imo.
Takes almost a day to vistit and all you get to see is busses filled with Japanese and American tourists taken a picture every 2sec.
Think if you go the Californiaman tip could work , we went in via the main entrance the walkt to the site and once there we could see on the other side people arriving by car much closer to the actual site....

Also seen books in the stores but i rather travel on my own pace...
Could be i buy a book bit more on info of the regions/places to visit.

How much did you pay for the early ferry booking?

Avebury is great, much to discover and far more accessible than other henges. Nearby Silbury Hill is amazing (you can't miss it!) and there is also a very good long barrow accessible from the same car park.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silbury_Hill

Try and find time for a meal in the pub down the road, The Bell, one for my brothers is a chef there and they do amazing food..

There is a (normally) well maintained white horse on the hill side at nearby Cherhill.

Normally lots of crop circles nearby too if you visit at the same time as the peak of the extra terrestrial tourism season! :cool:

Also seen books in the stores but i rather travel on my own pace...
Could be i buy a book bit more on info of the regions/places to visit.
Off course, that is how we use them, too: for ideas. In the end we always do our own thing. And in Wales we will probably attempt some 'green laning'.
Any tips there, anyone?

How much did you pay for the early ferry booking?
€ 109 for the return trip, 2 adults, 1 Cali.

And in Wales we will probably attempt some 'green laning'.
Any tips there, anyone?

Yes, don't do it unless there is somewhere specific you want to get to! I've been upside down and under water more in Wales than anywhere else in the country. Most of the 'easy' tracks have bits that will be impassable in a Cali and most will be very difficult to back out of.

That said, the track around the north shore of Claerwen is nice. It does (technically) dead end though, before joining the very difficult 'Monks Trod' (which used to a 'boat' but has I believe now, sadly been closed) certainly stay away from the Strata Florida if it has been wet!

So booked ferry this weekend and got myself a ticket for the JUNE meet ....
We will be in the UK from 15/6 in the afthernoon and head back on the 29th , so all of you who pass me .....wave:bananadance
Got some nice tips here already think it's gonna be great!

Last edited:
Kicking this back up as we now booked the meet in Glouchestershire .
What do any of you think is best on direction to go afther the meet?
Wales up inland and anti-clockwise the coast down...
Or clockwise the coast up and inland down on the final days of our trip?
Arround what time it gets dark the end of june in that part of the UK?
Advise welcome!