Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping pitches prices? Is it me or are they expensive?

What are you happy to pay per night for a pitch

• £10

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • £15

Votes: 21 19.8%
  • £20

Votes: 42 39.6%
  • £25

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • £30

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • £35

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • £40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £45

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • £50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than £50

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Simply get out of the UK and its robbing site owners or national businesses masquerading as clubs. If at all possible get into mainland Europe where 'overnighting' in a Motorhome, Camping Car or Wohnmobile can be achieved for €0 to €10 in thousands of places. Yes there are expensive campsites in Europe but mostly they are complete holiday destinations with club/bar/restaurant, swimming pool etc.

Simply get out of the UK and its robbing site owners or national businesses masquerading as clubs. If at all possible get into mainland Europe where 'overnighting' in a Motorhome, Camping Car or Wohnmobile can be achieved for €0 to €10 in thousands of places. Yes there are expensive campsites in Europe but mostly they are complete holiday destinations with club/bar/restaurant, swimming pool etc.

Agreed, it’s a whole different scenario, more pleasurable, and you see more of where you are.

Agreed, it’s a whole different scenario, more pleasurable, and you see more of where you are.
It all sounds very exciting going abroad!!!!! Cant wait

As far as I understand, payment is rent for the pitch and I appreciate that extras can be charged for electricity and the number of people staying, as those people will use the facilities of the site. However, what I find to be a total rip off, is when the campsite demands an extra premium if you have an awning or an additional tent on the same pitch. You have already paid for the pitch! what equipment you put on it should not be an issue nor subject to an extra charge unless that equipment extends beyond the area you have rented.

I used Britstops for a year and used a few really good sites but was disappointed that the majority of sites on offer were pub car parks. The best I experienced was a winery, that had shower and toilet facilities that were better than mine at home! I did feel obliged to buy a bottle of white.
Wow! Which site was this?

I have been pricing few site now and it stick in my throat slightly when i see additional fees but it really grinds my gears when i see they ask extra per child. Just give me a price so i can go on holiday without feeling like I am getting fleeced and 'fined' for bringing my children to a 'family' site. Family holidays surely means children should be included as part of the pitch price. :rage

Unfortunately Mark, camping has dramatically changed over the last 10 years.
It’s become very popular and as said with all the additional pleasantries it now appeals to a bigger spectrum.

I have fallen out of love with campsites of late (we still use them, but less often) and prefer to just pitch up at the side of the road/field/car park. We are only 3 peoples in our van and is a bit easier than those with more bodies.

For me. £30 is my limit.
I purposely look for sites with less facilities. If I see swimming pools and bars advertised, thats usually a red flag.
I want no frills. Clean toilet block and that’s it...!!!

£50, £60, £75 a night is silly money.
I’ve stayed in hotels for less. Seriously.

As far as I understand, payment is rent for the pitch and I appreciate that extras can be charged for electricity and the number of people staying, as those people will use the facilities of the site. However, what I find to be a total rip off, is when the campsite demands an extra premium if you have an awning or an additional tent on the same pitch. You have already paid for the pitch! what equipment you put on it should not be an issue nor subject to an extra charge unless that equipment extends beyond the area you have rented.

Don't even mention the Premium that you have to pay on some sites to bring a Dog

Unfortunately Mark, camping has dramatically changed over the last 10 years.
It’s become very popular and as said with all the additional pleasantries it now appeals to a bigger spectrum.

I have fallen out of love with campsites of late (we still use them, but less often) and prefer to just pitch up at the side of the road/field/car park. We are only 3 peoples in our van and is a bit easier than those with more bodies.

For me. £30 is my limit.
I purposely look for sites with less facilities. If I see swimming pools and bars advertised, thats usually a red flag.
I want no frills. Clean toilet block and that’s it...!!!

£50, £60, £75 a night is silly money.
I’ve stayed in hotels for less. Seriously.
Thank you @soulstyledevon
yes, my wife and I love the back to basics, a basic toilet bock and a field for kids just to run around. I really dont want the whole Centre parcs experience when i go camping (now Califonriing) but I suppose lots of familes do and where there is money to be made, companies will follow. I like days out adn then back to relaxation at the end of a busy day out and about. And true, I don't even look at the price when i see 5* restaurant, 6 pools.......NEXT please - Its like most things in life though, if people happily pay it, companies will happily charge it.

One of our favourite sites is very natural with no bells or whistles. It has some chickens and pigs, 2 fishing lakes and a rope swing. Pitches are absolutely massive, you are allowed fires, the owners insist on quiet after 11pm. They probably have about a third of the number of pitches (at most) of other sites I've been to of the same size. Hence we are going to be paying £44 per night in the summer holidays. Expensive, but to us, worth it if it means the owners can justify to themselves not increasing the capacity.

So many reasons why people leave a perfectly good house, to go and sit in a field for a few days, what are we trying get away from, or maybe capture ?
Camper vans, as distinct from white whale motor homes and caravans, and the 'drawn curtains, closed doors syndrome', tend to encourage, communing with nature, ones fellow man and improvisation. Campsites, I'm happy with, ... well, don't want to book in advance, don't want 'minimum number of nights', want to turn up when I want, pitch were I want and take my chance on spaces, limited and sensible rules, sensible contained camp fires if I want, grass (the green type !) , a drinking water tap, a toilet, a shower .. that's it, no entrance guardhouse, site pass and and barrier, no hard standings, no hookup, no bar, no pool, no karaoke evenings.
As a previous comment, the more basic then hopefully at a commercially viable price for the site owner, the less crowded.
I guess I'll never meet many of you, lol .

So many reasons why people leave a perfectly good house, to go and sit in a field for a few days, what are we trying get away from, or maybe capture ?
Camper vans, as distinct from white whale motor homes and caravans, and the 'drawn curtains, closed doors syndrome', tend to encourage, communing with nature, ones fellow man and improvisation. Campsites, I'm happy with, ... well, don't want to book in advance, don't want 'minimum number of nights', want to turn up when I want, pitch were I want and take my chance on spaces, limited and sensible rules, sensible contained camp fires if I want, grass (the green type !) , a drinking water tap, a toilet, a shower .. that's it, no entrance guardhouse, site pass and and barrier, no hard standings, no hookup, no bar, no pool, no karaoke evenings.
As a previous comment, the more basic then hopefully at a commercially viable price for the site owner, the less crowded.
You will meet me. Sounds a great site, you'll have to set it up! ;)

You'll most likely meet us.

You can not always camp-up for free or at cheap sites , those more expencive sites usual are in very touristique places or at special scenery , close to a city or whatever the reason is they charge more....
I'm happy to pay if it's in line with what you get ....
Must admit we try to avoid high season and large campsites anyway .

3 votes for £10, please share

You can not always camp-up for free or at cheap sites , those more expencive sites usual are in very touristique places or at special scenery , close to a city or whatever the reason is they charge more....
I'm happy to pay if it's in line with what you get
Must admit we try to avoid high season and large campsites anyway .[/QUOTE

The ccc have a book of sites for all needs. The cl sites are fairly basic and only take 5 vans so they are usually about £10 but we like the quiet they bring. We try to avoid school holidays as this bumps up commercial sites and as a retired teacher am only just being able to use this perk. Also i object to paying for the dogs as they dont use any facilities. Wouldn't go to a site where you paid for the awning either. Don't think I would sleep easy if not on an official site but if we don't use these highly priced sites they may think again. We have already bought our unit. Camping was supposed to be an inexpensive holiday for families but some expect wifi etc as basic needs.

After ten months of mostly fairly basic sites, we were delighted to find, for 19 Euros per night, a huge site, overrun by great whites, with all the extra facilities including a *free* kiddies “klub” where we could dump the boys between 10am and 12 and between 2 and 4pm.

Those big sites can have compelling benefits.

https://www.camping-adriatic.com/camping-krk-politin

After ten months of mostly fairly basic sites, we were delighted to find, for 19 Euros per night, a huge site, overrun by great whites, with all the extra facilities including a *free* kiddies “klub” where we could dump the boys between 10am and 12 and between 2 and 4pm.

Those big sites can have compelling benefits.

https://www.camping-adriatic.com/camping-krk-politin
My wife and I love our kids very much but not as much as we love them lovely wonderful kids clubs :thumb

We just paid £15 one night with electric - it was for the pitch so didn't matter how many people.
Small site with toilets and shower plus washing up.

I tend to search on an app called search for sites. It tells you about different types of site - stealth, permitted, small fields, to full on CC sites.
Really useful for finding small cheap sites and having confidence from reviews that it will be as described.

App goes into Europe too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

We just paid £15 one night with electric - it was for the pitch so didn't matter how many people.

I tend to search on an app called search for sites. It tells you about different types of site - stealth, permitted, small fields, to full on CC sites.
Really useful for finding small cheap sites and having confidence from reviews that it will be as described.

Thank you for that. I have just downloaded it :)

Thank you for that. I have just downloaded it :)
I think you get a week free then if you like you have to pay a nominal subscription.

You can add markers to places you like etc and add your own reviews to help others !

Just downloaded the app.
Looks interesting
Thanks

Back