Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping with a wheelchair any advice?

S

Sunny

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Does anyone travel and camp with a wheelchair that the person doesn't sit in, which doesn't collapse? How?
At the moment I have tried several ways with my son's wheelchair and our camping stuff. Currently it is held down by special clamps in the middle, or I have put it in the back when not all the camping equipment or occupents are needed.
However we are getting (fingers crossed) a light weight wheelchair for him and this won't collapse and the one thing I have found is when there is the 4 of us. 1 kid, one ADiT large dog and two adults we are struggling with space. Especially when the weather is bad.
Just wondering if anyone else has done this before and if they have found ways of making things that bit easier.
The Ocean is also our only transport.
Thanks

Almost.

Our daughter's current electric wheelchair does collapse and we generally store it folded, on its side under the bed in the boot. It's a tight fit, but it does fit.

However, we have also travelled with it unfolded, in which case we strap it to cargo loops fixed to the seat rails. With the rear seat in the usual fully-back position, that leaves enough leg-room.

When we are camping and the bed is down and the boot is full other stuff, we leave the wheelchair outside and padlock it to the van's wheels with a long bike-lock cable and cover it with a groundsheet.

With four people in the van it all works OK. Inevitably it's a bit of a tight fit and good weather always makes life easier. But we don't have a large dog to contend with!

Last edited:
Good to hear even wheelchair user enjoying the Cali-life !
If you do a seach on the forum there are some posts regarding wheelchairs.
We travelled once with a simple foldable wheelchair when my wife had an accident and could not walk for a few months , i stored it on top of the rear bed .
WeIMG_1487.PNG

I appreciate it would be a big nuisance but have you thought about towing a small box trailer?

Hi Sunny, we also had this problem in our 2018 Beach with my sons all terrain wheelchair/bike trailer. Made a huge difference having the wheelchair on Atera Strada bike rack. We keep the actual seat on top of the multi board in the boot. Admittedly his chair does fold but it’s still huge and means we can leave the wheels on too.47105

Hi Sunny, we also had this problem in our 2018 Beach with my sons all terrain wheelchair/bike trailer. Made a huge difference having the wheelchair on Atera Strada bike rack. We keep the actual seat on top of the multi board in the boot. Admittedly his chair does fold but it’s still huge and means we can leave the wheels on too.View attachment 47105

View attachment 47106
Worth saying my son is 3, so small still. But very severe cerebral palsy. The Beach has been amazing vehicle. We’ll be getting wheelchair tie downs soon for his other wheelchair inside the beach. Looking at the Excel Aries which go directly into VW rails.