Carrying a wheelchair

Lin Hawkins

Lin Hawkins

Lin
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi
I have to find a way to carry my partners wheelchair externally for our Europe trip later this year. For short trips I just put it in and out of the van but would like a better solution. I have looked at the tow bar mounted bike rack and wondered if anyone has tried putting a wheelchair on one. Please can anyone advise on any bike racks you may have used for this purpose.
Thanks

i would have thought it could be strapped to most bike racks - we have the rear door mounted rack i am sure this would work well depending on how heavy the chair is as there would be some lifting required. We use ours for boogie boards, inflatable canoe and folding bikes. very adaptable

We currently put our daughter's wheelchair under the bed in the boot. The disadvantage is , of course, that storage space is reduced. But that simply encourages us to take less!

Previously, with the Land Rover Discovery, we strapped the wheelchair to a standard bike rack and I would anticipate that the California bike-rack or a tow bar mounted rack would work perfectly well.

The only difficulty is ensuring the wheelchair stays dry on a wet day. We used a groundsheet, but not altogether successfully!

Back